It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• early addisons? early pigmintation signs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
    trakos
    (female)

trakos HB User
    early addisons? early pigmintation signs?

Hi all,

Last august I was diagnosed hypothyroid-tsh 200. They tried starting me on sythroid four times, each time resulting in extreme salt cravings, headaches, muscle pains, profuse urination, and eventual delerium, and eventually I had a day where I started having extreme pressure in my chest and I lost all circulation in my arms and legs. I could turnr the symptoms on and off by taking or not taking the synthroid.

I convinced my second endo to try and agin, this time with 100 ug of florinef and everything went great. This lasted about seven months when I started feeling very tired in the afternoons, lots of stomach pains, and was in bed by 7 most nights. I (dumbly) tried taking a bovine adrenal extract, felt FANTASTIC!!, but developed a rash after five days and stopped taking it.

The next day, in the evening, I began running a fever, my stomach hurt again, I got very weak and shaky, and began having waves of lightheadedness. Later I dicovered I get this feeling when my blood pressure plummets. I got on a weaning dose of prednisone over the next two weeks, then stopped taking it.

At first I thought everything would be okay but I began to get ill every night, my BP would drop to 100s/60s (while taking 100 ug of florinef) or even lower sometimes with waves of nause and lightheadedness, my blood began pooling in my extremities, I would have sharp stabbing pains in my arms and legs-like little injections. Some nights I was feverish. I kep thinking every day was better then the previous but then it started reversing and every day was worse than the previous. It finally ended up with seizure like switching of my arms and legs, waves of nausea and lightheadedness, and an altered mental state-very confused and agitated. I took 2.5 mg of prednisone and it all went away within 15 minutes.

Now I am on 100ug of florinef and about 1,5 mg of prednisone every day.
    I still am lethargic and tired in the afternoon and pretty weak but stable for the time being.

I have noticed a bunch of bug bites I got about six weeks ago have all remained-healed but dyed pinkinsh brown. These are chigger bites which I have had many times in the past and never had this happen to them. Could this be the hyperpigmintation?

Also abdominal pain-is that stomach pain or lower gut pain, like with cramps?

Tests: before synthroid
    low aldosterone-4
    normal cotrisol and normal ACTH,
    normal stim test

All repeated recently but no results yet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
    opalfire
    (female)

opalfire HB User
    Re: early addisons? early pigmintation signs?

Hi, not that this is going to help much, but there are a lot of people that are allergic to Synthroid and it's components. I wouldn't recommend it.
    On the other hand, I have read repeatedly that you need to get a handle on your adrenal issues before pursuing anything about your thyroid. Your adrenals handle a lot of your thyroid functions so your thyroid tests aren't going to be accurate.
    As for the bovine adrenal extract, there is an induction method, rather than jumping straight into it, that you should explore. Presently that's what I'm on, the month long induction. I have adrenal stress and there are no tests to support it. I have lead a rather stressful life, with post traumatic syndrome, and this has been going on most of my life (I'm in my mid 50's now). It is telling on me.
    There is one particular self test I did do (according to some of the adrenal stress sites), the salt test. If you can drink a cup of water with 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoon of salt in it, you are in adrenal stress. Personally, I find drinking a cup of water with a dash of salt alone, helps my headaches. I get them when I drink more than 3 or 4 glasses of water. The salt clears it up???
    Please find a naturalist doc that will work with you. Although my endo supports the use of Armour thyroid, he does not recognize adrenal stress. My family doctor, the naturalist, does however, even though he told me I didn't have it. He put me on Ligaplex II for energy...and I made the mistake of reading the ingredients. Guess what was the main ingredient...bovine adrenal extract! Since the Ligaplex II worked for me, we now skip that and have started the induction phase of the adrenal extract!
    Please read all you can on adrenal stress. It does not have a blood test, but rather symptoms!
    Good luck,
    Judy

Closed Thread