It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Could it be addisons?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
    felix80
    (female)

felix80 HB User
    Could it be addisons?

I've had lots of blood tests done including cortisol and sodium and potassium and they have all come back normal. I have so many addisons symptoms but is it still possible this is what i have even though the tests are all normal? The only test that showed anything was white blood cells which were low. Can this be to do with addisons? I keep trying to get them to do the acth stim test but they won't as cortisol tests are always normal (have been tested twice). Don't know what to do next!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
    gettin' better
    (female)

gettin' better HB User
    Re: Could it be addisons?

Hi Felix

Find a doctor who will give you the ACTH stim test. If you have a lot of the symptoms of Addison's, things could start getting dangerous, and I'm amazed your doctor isn't willing to do something more proactive. Some people have even had the ACTH stim test come back "normal" and they still have Addison's. In my case, they just started treating the symptoms (which all pointed to adrenal insufficiency) and made the diagnosis later, after they found out that my pituitary gland was not functioning. (Technically, I have secondary Addison's Disease, which is sometimes referred to as "adrenal insufficiency".) A good doctor is the key to everything, so good luck in finding one.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
    felix80
    (female)

felix80 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I am going back to docs tomorow and am going to really push for the stim test. Am really frustrated with how they been treating me, seems they all just think i have some sort of eating disorder because i've lost a lot of weight and so don't seem prepared to do to many tests! How did you get diagnosed if your stim test came back normal?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
    gettin' better
    (female)

gettin' better HB User

They just figured it out by the process of elimination. I must have had three stim tests before one showed the low cortisol, but I had all the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (except the skin pigment). It was definitely a detective game, and I have to hand it to the endocrinologists who finally diagnosed me. It didn't take them long to pick up on the problem, although they first thought I had primary Addison's Disease and it turned out to be secondary due to pituitary dysfunction. Keep pushing for a diagnosis. You really need to advocate for yourself. I remember reading once of a person who got put in the hosptial for an eating disorder and who practically died because she had Addison's. Don't let them push you around. Good luck!

Closed Thread