It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Andreal gland shut down

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
    HairstYlist
    (female)

HairstYlist HB User
    Andreal gland shut down

What are some of the reason for your Adreal gland to shut down. The reason why I ask, is because the Adreal gland shut down and the doctor doesn't know why. He said I don't have the autoimmune disease part of it. Does the make sence that my doctor ran tests on me and don't know why the Adreal gland shut down?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
    LSeagraves
    (female)

LSeagraves HB User
    Re: Andreal gland shut down

Did he put you on meds yet, what was your symptoms of going to the doc in the first place.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Head injury.

Chemical poisoning.

Tumor.

Severe infection can weaken adrenals.

Severe prolonged stress (physical or emotional).

Drugs legal and otherwise can damage the adrenals.

Genetics.

Pituitary problems.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
    chrisS81
    Inactive
    (male)

chrisS81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion
    Head injury.

Chemical poisoning.

Tumor.

Genetics.

Pituitary problems.

Hi Orion, is there any way to narrow some of those down? Isn't there tests to determine if it's just a genetic problem, or from head damage? I'm sure poisoning can be found out by testing, but what about the others? Have you ever determined what caused your problems and if so.. how?

Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
    HairstYlist
    (female)

HairstYlist HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LSeagraves
    Did he put you on meds yet, what was your symptoms of going to the doc in the first place.
    I had bluish-purple gums and lips that is why I went to my general doctor. He didn't know what was wrong with me so then I went to the Endocrinologist. He ran all kinds of test on me. It came back that my cortisol level was low. I can't remember what the numbers were. So I am on 10 mg of Cortef in the morning and 5mg evening.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisS81
    Hi Orion, is there any way to narrow some of those down? Isn't there tests to determine if it's just a genetic problem, or from head damage? I'm sure poisoning can be found out by testing, but what about the others? Have you ever determined what caused your problems and if so.. how?
    An MRI of your pituitary and adrenals will rule out tumors.

A insulin induced hypoglcycemia test will tell you how your hormones are functioning and point the way to the source. ie: either you make no ACTH or you make no cortisol; so either its pituitary or its adrenal. If there is no tumor and no autoimmune markers then you are idopathic which could be a virus, poison, stress, genetics,injury or any combo. At any rate once you know the source, you know the treatment necessary.

Last edited by orion; 01-12-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
    chrisS81
    Inactive
    (male)

chrisS81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion
    An MRI of your pituitary and adrenals will rule out tumors.

A insulin induced hypoglcycemia test will tell you how your hormones are functioning and point the way to the source. ie: either you make no ACTH or you make no cortisol; so either its pituitary or its adrenal. If there is no tumor and no autoimmune markers then you are idopathic which could be a virus, poison, stress, genetics,injury or any combo. At any rate once you know the source, you know the treatment necessary.

Ahh, my ACTH was functioning a little over actively, so it was my adrenals that aren't producing the cortisol.

So mine would have to be a stress, poison, genetics, or injury.. unfortunately if there are no tests to rule any of those out. .I"m screwed, because I've got thyroid problems in my family, I've dealt with a lot of stress and anti depressants through teens(which never did a damn thing for me..although now I know whatever I have was in the early stages back then), and when I was a baby I fell on my head down 8 stairs in my walker and have a dent on the back of it from it.

Maybe we can rule out poison soon.. but I'll be hoping for poison. Okay, thanks for the help!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
    HairstYlist
    (female)

HairstYlist HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion View Post
    Head injury.

Chemical poisoning.

Tumor.

Genetics.

Pituitary problems.
    I don't think any of these choices apply to me. So I guess I can have AD, without no reason how I got it

Closed Thread