It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• ACTH stim test!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User
    ACTH stim test!!

Does this test hurt, where do they put the neddle and how long do you have to wait for the results.

Many thunks ...Mandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
    chrisS81
    Inactive
    (male)

chrisS81 HB User
    Re: ACTH stim test!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MAD MAZ View Post
    Does this test hurt, where do they put the neddle and how long do you have to wait for the results.

Many thunks ...Mandy
    They sit you in a chair and stick an IV thing in your arm. Usually the vein they draw blood from, and then leave a little fastener thing on with the needle and keep it there for 2-3 hours. Every half hour they connect a little vial to the fastener and withdraw some blood and inject some ACTH, you won't feel anything. Maybe a mild cold sensation in your arm as they inject the ACTH though.

You don't feel anything outside of what you normally feel when someone pokes you with a needle for drawing blood. The needle just sits in your vein taped to your arm, so you sit there and relax and read a magazine, listen to the radio, watch tv, etc.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Thanks the Endo said it will take about half hour???
    He said I will have a injection and then take blood half hour later!!

does this not sould right...
    I hope it is I had to beg for this test!!

Old 01-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #4
    chrisS81
    Inactive
    (male)

chrisS81 HB User

Quote:
    Thanks the Endo said it will take about half hour???
    He said I will have a injection and then take blood half hour later!!

does this not sould right...
    I hope it is I had to beg for this test!!

Wow, really? I don't know about that.. They do that every half hour for 4 or 5 times to get an average and see what happens.. but doing this for only one half hour. . You'd have to ask someone else how reliable that is.. but I don't think that will be near as good of an indicator as doing it several times.

What they did for me was took some blood, injected the ACTH.
    Wait a half hour
    Came back in, withdrew some more blood, injected some more ACTH.
    Wait a half hour
    Came back in, withdrew some more blood, injected some more ACTH.
    Wait a half hour
    Came back in, withdrew some more blood, injected some more ACTH, and then I was done and free to go.

One time only? Doesn't sound as reliable. I hope he is taking you seriously.. Is he even going to try to draw blood before injecting the ACTH to see what the level was exactly before the ACTH injection? I hope he isn't just trying to passify you.

Last edited by chrisS81; 01-15-2007 at 04:26 AM.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

Mandy,

This should not be much more for you than just having blood work done.

"""PLEASE""" do not let them do this test wrong for you. The ACTH stimulation test takes about an hour. Talk to your doctor about how you know it should be done & make him do it right. He is working for you. There are a total of 3 draws done. They should be able to give you results quickly. I got mine with in minutes because I was so sick they didn't mess around. Just push them.

TEST 2: The ACTH stimulation test:

It determines if the patient's adrenal glands can respond to the ACTH message from the pituitary to increase cortisol production in the adrenal cortex.

The test is usually given first thing in the morning when normal cortisol levels are highest. Blood is withdrawn from the patient to establish a baseline (No instructions regarding necessity for fasting). The patient is given 250 micrograms (ug) of ACTH (Cortrosyn, Cosyntropin, or Synacthen) by injection in saline at one time. Blood is drawn at 30 minutes and/or 60 minutes and the serum cortisol level is determined.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
    gettin' better
    (female)

gettin' better HB User

I'm with Chris. My ACTH stim test took way more than an hour. They can do a quick one, but it's not as reliable as the longer one with more blood draws. I think they took my blood around four times, and as I recall, the test took about 2 1/2-3 hours. It was boring as heck to just sit there, but I had no pain and no side effects from the ACTH. That was what finally got me diagnosed. I had had two of the shorter ACTH tests, and they showed my levels were "normal" -- in other words, they were useless. Push for the longer test if you can.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Thank you all for replying - ok I am a little confused as to say which tests are correct here, should it take around 2/3 hrs, with about three withdraws? If it helps I am having my test done in the morning.

WannaB, thank-you for your post I found it rather confusong though, is there going to be two tests, or will it be in two parts, the "test 2" bit confused me a little...

I am not at all clued up about this test, and I really want to be so I make sure they do it right, at the moment I understand from two of you that it will take a few hours, WannB you said about an 1hr? In anycase none of these timings compare with the 1/2hr I have been told.

If any one of you could do a basic run down of the test in lamens terms I would extremely appreciate it!

I am from the UK so I cant tell him what to do, we have the NHS and we have to do as they say, he didnt what to do this test.

I had the 9am cortisol test and he said that it was normal at 381 nmol/l. is that a good level.... I dont think I can push to much with him. I feel so ill and weak..Mandy

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 01-15-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

Sorry that my post was unclear & that you can't push your doc to do what is necessary.

Your 9am cortisol test is not really valuable as cortisol levels go up & down all day. You could have a good level in the morning & not the next. I don't know if your level was normal without knowing what the ranges are at the lab that was used.

What symptoms are you having?

You should have your electrolytes checked also. Sodium & potassium. They could do that draw along with your baseline draw.

TEST 2 just means it is the test after electrolytes.

Here is how the ACTH test should be done.

Baseline draw. They should leave the needle in your arm so you don't have to get stuck again.

ACTH is injected using the site already in your arm.

After 30 minutes -- blood draw should be done.

At 60 minutes -- blood draw should be done.

So this is approximately one hour or a bit over.

As someone else mentioned....it is more accurate to have the two draws done versus only one which your doctor is planning.

Let us know how it goes Mandy. Hope you are feeling better.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Thanks WandaB I will let you know, I am going to phone the doctors secretary tomorrow to ask her about the test again... Thanks...Mandy

Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi I phoned the secretary up today and ask what test I am having she said its called a (synathen test) does that sound right??

Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
    chrisS81
    Inactive
    (male)

chrisS81 HB User

Quote:
    Hi I phoned the secretary up today and ask what test I am having she said its called a (synathen test) does that sound right??
    Mine was called a cortrosyn test, but I think they do the same thing.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

I sure hope they do this right for you. You really should be laying down for the whole thing according to what I have read.

There is a Short synacthen test:

take a basal sample for cortisol
    give 250 microgramme Synacthen i.v. or i.m.
    sample for cortisol are taken at 30 mins and 60 mins

Synacthen is tetracosactrin, the first 24 amino acids of ACTH.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
    MAD MAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Oh I am scared, WHY will I need to lay down ???

What have you read, I have real bad health anxiety , Also it will not be a good day for me as I said before it will be a year on that day that I lost my dear mum.

WandaB helppppppppp is it realy that bad , is it not the right test...Mandy

I think I am having what you have put on your thread 30 mins and 60 mins (The short test)
    What is a synacthen is tetracosactrin, the 24 amino of ACTH do???

(SORRY I AM A LITTLE THINK!!)

Last edited by MAD MAZ; 01-16-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
    WandaB
    Inactive

WandaB HB User

The last thing you need to do is worry about this test. It is NO BIG DEAL. Why would it worry you to lay down for the test??? When I had mine I couldn't have sat up if if I wanted to.

There are many who have had the ACTH test without laying down. I just mentioned I had read that.

Take a good book along & don't worry.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #15
    chrisS81
    Inactive
    (male)

chrisS81 HB User

I sat down for my test, actually reclined.. it was quite comfortable. There is nothing at all to worry about.. I couldn't wait to go to the doctor that day. Every time we test something new I get excited and hopeful.

Closed Thread