It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Heart Palpitations

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
    cstram
    (female)

cstram HB User
    Heart Palpitations

I have Addison's Disease and Hashimoto. I take Cortef, Synthroid and Florinef. I get heart palpitations from time to time. Sometimes it is a sporadic increased heart rate (feels like it is skipping all over the place) and other times it feels like my heart is beating so irregularly it feels like it is going to explode. I went to a cardiologist, but of course, my heart is working properly when I am there getting examined. I had a sonogram of my heart done which it appeared to be fine. Does anyone else have this issue and may know the cause? I really need some help. My endro said she did not know, but after reading some boards and symptoms, I'm beginning to question how much she really knows about AD and its idiosyncracies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
    kmatthew
    Veteran
    (female)

kmatthew HB User
    Re: Heart Palpitations

I actually take all the same medications that you do, and several months ago before I knew I had adrenal insufficency, my heart was doing the same thing. I had to wear a halter monitor, and they even did a tilt test and everything was fine accept for my blood pressure dropping upon standing. My endocrine system was so out of whack they started me on Lexapro, and my dosage of Cortef was raised, and the heart palpations stopped. Lexapro is an SSRI for anxiety, which I did not think I had, but with all the illness I had gone through, doctors thought it best to give it a try, and I am great now. You also may want to have your thyroid levels checked again. If you are overmedicated, it could do all kind of odd things to your body.

Good Luck.

Last edited by kmatthew; 02-11-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
    cstram
    (female)

cstram HB User

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to take your info with me to my endro. I also received some information that either too high or low potassium can do the same thing. Obviously something is going on.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
    Hormoneman
    (male)

Hormoneman HB User

Are you taking sea salt with the florinef? Florinef is only half the potency of human aldosterone so you have to take salt with it.

Closed Thread