It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Adrenal Insufficiency Symptoms/labs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #1
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User
    Adrenal Insufficiency Symptoms/labs

Hi!!! My ACTH is 6 (range 6-46) and my cortisol is 9 (in AM) but I'm on a big dose of Estrogen daily ...which is suppose to increase`cortisol levels...what would mine be if I was not on Estrogen...ZERO. I'm wondering about adrenal insuff. I'm a weight gain lady though...not weight loss. My thyroid levels are normal , but I am POSITIVE for antibiodies...I'm so tired of trying to figure all this JUNK out...of course my doc says I'm FINE. I'm tired, and infertile, and not fine..... Any input would be great. Jen in NJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
    Hormoneman
    (male)

Hormoneman HB User
    Re: Adrenal Insufficiency Symptoms/labs

Your ACTH and cortisol could have been lower or the same, no way to know. Your doc is seeing you are inside the ranges which are both flawed. I consider 50 to be a better value for ACTH and 25 a good cortisol value for women.

Until 2 years ago, most labs had ACTH range as 10-60 which I still use.

In range on thyroid tests mean nothing. What matters is where you are in the range that matters. That you test positive for antibodies, I bet your TSH is above 1.5 and your free tests in the bottom half of the range. I can look at your tests, but also post them on the Thyroid forum to get other opinions.

If you aren't satisfied with your doc, try an osteopath next. If the first osteopath doesn't work out try another one. Your chance of success is way much better with a DO over an endo from what I've seen other report.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User

H-Man, thanks for your input ...my labs are as follows from 2/2007
    TSH =1.6, FT4= 0.68, T4=10.3, T3 Uptake=25.6, FT3=281, DHEA-s=34,Thyroglobin antibody =50, Thyroid perioxidase Antibody=<10...what do you think??? cortisol (serum7am)=9, ACTH (7am serum)=6. thanks, Jen

Old 02-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
    Hormoneman
    (male)

Hormoneman HB User

Do you have ranges?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User

RANGES: of my 2/2007 labs
    ACTH =6 (ranges 6-48)
    TSH =1.6 (ranges 0.33-5.73)
    Free T4 =0.68 (ranges 0.59-1.17)
    T4 =10.3 (ranges 4.5-12.0)
    Free T3 =281 (ranges 230-420)
    T3 uptake =25.6 (ranges 22-35)
    Cortisol =9 (serum AM ranges 4-22)
    Thyroglobin antibodies=50 (ranges <20)
    Throid Perioxidase=<10 ( range <35)
    DHEA-S =34 (ranges 40-325)
    Thanks, Jen

Old 02-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Funnygirl2. Postive antibodies indicates Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is a type of auto-immune hypothyroidism.

Even if your results are in the normal range, they may not be optimal for you. The important levels are the Free T3 and Free T4, and yours are on the low side. It is my understanding that people who are symptomatic often feel best when the Free Ts are in the upper 1/3 of the range.

Are you on any meds at all? It can be difficult to find a doctor who does not rely solely on TSH results, but they do exist. Learn as much as you can. I believe that people who have Hashimoto's can have normal results but still benefit from treatment. I suggest posting your results on the thyroid site also. The people there are great.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
    Hormoneman
    (male)

Hormoneman HB User

Your TSH is high enough that I would suspect a problem. With your low frees and Thyroglobin antibodies that would match with Hashimotos. Your TPO (thyroid perioxidase) could be a 9. I hate the < ranges and values the labs have been putting out over the last year or so. Both of those, a value 3 or less is what I look for. Above 5 I definately recommend testing those every 6 months. If either of your antibody tests were above 5, that is the cut off I use for Hashi's. Armour thyroid can usually keep antibodies in check, but not always. Post your thyroid test on the thyroid forum if you haven't already.

Your DHEA-s also supports you are likely secondary AI. Get the ACTH stim test and read my post "How I interpret the ACTH stimulation test". You're welcome.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
    Funnygirl2
    (female)

Funnygirl2 HB User

H-Man, Thanks for your input...what's your background you sound very knowledgable in this area...I'm an OR nurse...I don't know anything about the endocrine system, I just know how to remove things....LOLO!!! Anyway, I posted on the thyroid board ...I'm interested to hear about what thoseb folks think....I need to find myself a good endo doc....the one UI'm seeing now says I'm FINE!!!!!!!! Thanks Again, Jen

Old 02-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
    Hormoneman
    (male)

Hormoneman HB User

I had to become knowledgable because I couldn't find a doc that knew anything. I got mad and decided I would learn all I could which includes studying endo medical books.

You're welcome,
    Chris

Closed Thread