It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• can anxiety be linked to adrenal insufficiency?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #1
    jen77
    (female)

jen77 HB User
    can anxiety be linked to adrenal insufficiency?

Hi the last couple of years i have been getting anxiety problems, even the most insignificant things- like meeting someone (that i know) get me wound up! I know i am a quiet person and thats my personality but i never used to be this bad. It was as though it happened over night. The doc tryed me on anti anxiety meds, beta blockers etc, relaxation, herbal stuff you name it ive tryed it- nothing seems to relieve it. I have many of the other symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (tiredness, BMI 16-cant gain weight, lack energy/stamina, light headedness, feel weak, severe hypoglycemia especially after long periods without food eg morning, hair thinner and comes out,feel the cold alot more esp hands..) My question is can adrenal insufficiency cause anxiety? Please post back, im despirate. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
    2jen
    (female)

2jen HB User
    Re: can anxiety be linked to adrenal insufficiency?

I am not sure if adrenal insuf. can cause anxiety but anxiety can make adrenal problems worse. For me personally, anxiety causes me to stress out, which makes me feel worse. I am sorry that I couldnt be of more help.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
    DIAL
    (male)

DIAL HB User

yes, many doctors believe this to be directly linked to Adrenal inssuf. Go on a search engine and type Adrenal exhuastion, you will find a HUGE amount of information! one of the most common stated side effects is anxiety.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

I had very bad anxiety before I got treated for adrenal insufficiency. If I forget to take my cortef, anxiety is my first symptom that comes back (and I mean within hours of missing the dose). GABA is very helpful in taking the edge off the anxiety and building up the adrenals too, I take it twice a day and it helps.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jen77 View Post
    My question is can adrenal insufficiency cause anxiety? Please post back, im despirate. thanks.

Yes adrenal insufficiency is associated with unexplained anxiety especially if thyroid problems are also involved.

Closed Thread