It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Dr, says my saliva tests says I am at a "7"???What is normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
    babyboomer6
    (female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User
    Dr, says my saliva tests says I am at a "7"???What is normal?

I was just wondering what my Dr. meant about me being at a 7 for my adrenal test results? She put me on cortef (10mlg), DHEA,compounded with testosterone and something else. I feel like "not too great" and I have been on this stuff for a month. Do you think uping the cortef would help? Busy Drs. don't always explain things well. If ya know what I mean. Input would be appreciated! BOOMER

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User
    Re: Dr, says my saliva tests says I am at a "7"???What is normal?

It sounded familiar to me, so I pulled my copies of my own Diagnos-Techs saliva test results. (is yours Diagnos-Techs?) Their "Cortisol-DHEA Correlation Zones" are derived from DHEA charted against Cortisol and mapping areas of the graph:
    1. Adapted to stress (top-right)
    2. Adapted with DHEA slump (top-center)
    3. Maladapted Phase I (top-left)
    4. Maladapted Phase II (middle-left)
    5. Non-adapted. Low Reserves (lower-right)
    6. High DHEA (middle-right)
    7. Adrenal Fatigue (lower left)

What is normal? "center-center" (not numbered above) is the reference range on the graph. If your Dr. didn't give you a copy of the report, ask for one. It is pretty informative, containing much more than that single number.

When I had my first Diagnos-Techs ASI test through my internist, she started me on a similarly low dose of cortef, along with DHEA and pregnenolone. She didn't want to go too high too fast, so as not to shut down my adrenals entirely (which we have since done).

Yes, the cortef should help. Do you have any other symptoms of low adrenal function? I remember it took a couple of weeks before I felt better, but even then, sub-optimal.

Last edited by cloud2; 06-23-2007 at 05:40 AM. Reason: to answer question in title also

Old 06-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
    Michelle4
    (female)

Michelle4 HB User

Mine was a 7 too!! from diagnos-techs. I am on DHEA 15 mg/day & bio-identical progesterone cream. I started taking the DHEA about 2 weeks ago. Seems to help a little. I see a homeopathic Dr. so he tries to stay away from rx's, but I'm thinking maybe I need an rx for my adrenal fatigue. I go back in August but I am not very patient and am debating if I should see an endocrinologist.

Babyboomer6-curious to find out what helps you. sorry I dont have much input, kinda in the same boat as you.

Cloud2-maybe a stupid question, but why an internist?, ever see an endocrinologist?

Michelle

Old 06-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User

And yes, I was a 7 too. Levels were 5, 4, 1 and <1, all outside (below) reference range. She said I was in the "bottom 5 percentile."...

No, that's a good question, Michelle. Among several doctors, I've seen 2 endocrinologists in the last few years and they missed this entirely. I'd like to find a capable endo here in the Dallas TX area and have been asking around and hunting. Nothing yet.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

First time to post on this board. In the past, I was a regular on the Lyme board.

I TOO just got results from DiagnosTech and am at stage 7. And feel like it. Trying to figure out where to go. I've never been under treatment. But I've been reading great info on net concerning thyroid, adrenals and treatment. site also has good reference explanaton to stages on diagnostech tests. you will find a wealth of info at thyroid plus madness. pretty radical thinking and sharing so be prepared.

reading more posts. trying to find the ground. cj

Closed Thread