It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Cortef Side Effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
    jma810
    (female)

jma810 HB User
    Cortef Side Effects

I have hashimotos thyroid disease with adrenal fatigue. I am on thyroid meds and just recently went from 15mg cortef to 25mg. I am also taking Isocort 12mg. I still have some shakiness and muscle fatigue, though I am so much better than when I was on Isocort alone. Still cannot work out much or do anything really stressfull. Since I increased the Cortef, I have gained 10 pounds and my legs swell every day. I thought it was my thyroid, but now believe it is the cortef doing it since it started around when I upped the cortef. I would like some alternative to the cortef. Can't take this weight gain and swollen legs. Though I know my adrenals are still not in the best of shape. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
    gettin' better
    (female)

gettin' better HB User
    Re: Cortef Side Effects

Weight gain is typically one of the side effects of steroids. I lost 30 pounds before I was diagnosed with hypopituitarism, and have gained 50 since I was put on Cortef. My endo recently decreased my Cortef (I now take 17.5 mg. per day) and some of the other hormones I have to take in the hope that I could lose weight. I have also started walking daily. Another alternative is prednisone, but that also causes weight gain, and I think it can be even worse than Cortef. Theoretically, if you are taking the right amount of Cortef, you should only be ingesting as much as your body would normally make. Finding that balance -- on the lowest dose possible -- and maintaining it without an adrenal crisis is the challenge. I am devastated by my weight gain, but know I could not live without Cortef. It's a dilemma.

Closed Thread