It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Switching from prednisone+florinef to only cortef

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
    reemu
    (female)

reemu HB User
    Switching from prednisone+florinef to only cortef

I was taking 5 mg of prednisone and .1 of florinef.
    the doctor asked me to try 25 of cortef WITHOUT the florinef.

I forgot to ask, but i thought that cortef replaced cortisol, and florinef replaced aldosterone. so how come i don't need the florinef anymore? (i have been taking my blood pressure since i switched, and it's normal. )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User
    Re: Switching from prednisone+florinef to only cortef

Cortef contains oh gosh about .0003% of the same active ingredient as in florinef - that is, trace amount.

That being said, if your blood pressure is normal, your salt management ok, and you have been tested for renin and aldosterone and you don't need to bring the levels down or up, then perhaps you *can* forgoe the florinef.

However, most addisonian people do much better on it as well as with taking additional salt tablets. I have friends and the dose varies from half a tablet and sometimes I have taken as many as 3. My BP was pretty low at that time. I am now back to .1.

You are saying your BP is normal, so that is actually a good sign. As long as your sodium and potassium stay in normal limits, that is good, too. Actually, critical in the case of someone with Addison's. Do keep an eye on it as the situation can change and carry salt tablets with you to dose up in case your BP drops. Crisis usually occurs when sodium drops and potassiums rises.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
    reemu
    (female)

reemu HB User

Thank you!
    So it is basically mandatory that i take my blood pressure *at least* once a day if i don't take florinef? my BP has pretty much been constant at 90/60 which is what it always was before i started having Addison's symptoms. i have not had any symptoms of hypotension since stopping the florinef (although i do kind of remember that i just don't make any aldosterone)

Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User

Are you in super duper physical condition? Because that is pretty low for a normal person. I would keep an eye on your BP (and pulse) and keep salt tablets handy to raise your BP if needed.
    Once you get testing, perhaps he will find that you need a small amount.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
    reemu
    (female)

reemu HB User

thanks for the advice! I have always been thin, a non-smoker, and fairly athletic. plus my parents both have very low blood pressure. so i'm not concerned, because 90/60 is what my bp was before addison's.

can salt tablets effectively replace florinef in some cases? is that just something you buy over the counter?

Old 01-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User

Salt tablets are something you can buy although sometimes it takes some searching to get the non-buffered ones. Some local pharmacies may surprise you...

I don't think the tablets replace florinef entirely. Sodium is essential for function and so is aldosterone but they work together so sodium is not dumped if I have this correctly. So without the other, you would need to add in sodium to keep the balance right. I take sodium daily even with florinef.

Closed Thread