It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Finally got cortisol results - Please help interpret

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
    octorus
    (female)

octorus HB User
    Finally got cortisol results - Please help interpret

Cortisol Morning (saliva) <2.5L> ng/ml range 3.7-9.5

Cortisol Noon (saliva) <0.7L> ng/ml range 1.2-3.0

Cortisol Evening (saliva) <0.6> ng/ml range 0.6-1.9

Cortisol Night (saliva) <0.2L> ng/ml range 0.4-1.0

DHEAS (saliva) <2.7> range 3.9-11.4

Thank you in advance for you help
    ~momma

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Finally got cortisol results - Please help interpret

What was your ACTH? High, low, or normal. The cortisol result show you are adrenal insufficient. The addition of the ACTH would tell you if it is primary or secondary in nature. If primary. You will need to take hydrocortisone tablets. If secondary.. they will try and boost the ACTH first to make your adrenals function accordingly. If cortisol stays low.. then they will add cortisol supplementation as well.

I am primary adrenal insufficient. My adrenal glands were killed by and AI. So it is just HC tablets for me. 20 mg distributed over the mornin and early afternoon is the standard starting treatment. More may be overwhelming to you.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 04-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
    octorus
    (female)

octorus HB User

Thanks for the reply MG

I ordered these tests myself and they did not offer ACTH.
    I have posted before, my dr told me I absolutely did not have addison's disease because I was not orange colored like JFK and my AM cortisol was normal (although low normal).
    I have an appt with him on Sat and I can't wait to show him.
    What further tests should I ask for?
    Thanks!!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

ACTH fasting blood serum, 8 am draw time.
    DHEA sulfate

How's your thyroid? Do you have any AI's. I wasn't orange and my numbers were worse than yours. My issue was I would sleep or nod off like a narcoleptic.. but that is not the case. I had a 24 hour period that I could barely be roused. My husband blamed it on insomnia and poor sleep. Nope! It was the cortisol. Man does a little hydrocortisone go a long way. Whee! Do not take it after 6 pm. Unless you want to stay up to 2 am or later.

MG

Old 04-04-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User

Orange! More like a nice tan... some of us though, get age spots or your moles darken up or my hands just look dirty. Hyperpigmentation looks different on us all and it depends on how your skin was before.
    Also get a 24 hour urinary free cortisol test.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I did have more moles and dark spots appear. I had an unnatural tan on my arms and throat. Not an outdoors person allergies and med that react in sunlight. I just thought it was a quirk. My husband would accuse me of having a golden coloring. I am white really white. So maybe there was a litte hyperpigmentation going on.

MG

Old 04-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
    octorus
    (female)

octorus HB User

I have a gorgeous golden tan on my entire body. That's the only thing I'm going to miss. I also have a prominent brown line around my mouth (family thought I was overdoing it on lip liner until I told them it was my skin) and brown lines in the folds under one arm.
    I'm off to my dr right now. I had the presence of mind to print out the accreditation of the lab that did the test because I know he's going to question the results. I will mention the ACTH test and let you all know what he says.
    He's so ill informed (orange??) about addison's, I'm hoping he consults with a colleague before doing anything.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
    octorus
    (female)

octorus HB User

Endo refused to even look at the tests. He stated that the saliva tests were not accurate for determining adrenal insufficiency.
    He was snide, sarcastic and outright rude.
    I told him that the test results, combined with feeling like hell and hyperpigmentation should at least warrant further testing. He refused of course. He told me I was self diagnosing and that I didn't know what I was talking about.
    He said the pigmentation should be inside my mouth, not on the outside and dismissed the tan and other areas of pigmentation.
    Needless to say that is the end of our relationship.

Can anyone offer any advice or know of any good dr's who can help me in the Orange county, CA area?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User

Sheez, my ACTH is 1801 (4-27) and I have hyperpigmentation up the wazoo and my mouth is fine. I used to be vampire pale and now I am tan with old lady hands without wrinkles.
    If we mention doctors, the thread will get zapped. But you need to look for a new one and there are, lucky for you, good ones on the west coast.
    By the way, I was diagnosed with saliva and urine tests so that guy has no idea what he is talking about.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:30 AM   #10
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I was diagnosed by saliva and blood tests. My Internal Medicine MD did it. My Endo was a bust. My cardiologist and neurologist and IM question the level of thyroid care that the Endos in my city can give. They are great for diabetes and straight forward thyroid conditions, but any quirks such as multiple endocrine system dysfunction or autoimmune issues are not handled well. I am currently looking for a thyroid savvy Endo with in 2 hours of me. It is looking like I will need to travel to Atlanta, GA or Birmingham, AL to find a good one. Good luck on your search for a new MD. Have you tried the Armour thyroid physician database. Most that prescribe Armour are more forward thinking in their practice of medicine and have to stay up to date on the latest recommendations of care and policy. Just a thought.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #11
    octorus
    (female)

octorus HB User

I went to my new GP yesterday and he was wonderful!!!
    He looked over all my tests, spent nearly an hour with me and said he thought I may have addison's and is going to give me an ACTH test and 2 plasma cortisol tests.
    I hope the tests are definitive because this is the end of the road.
    Thanks for the help.

Closed Thread