It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Increased Pulse & Blood Pressure /Cortef

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
    Pam44
    (female)

Pam44 HB User
    Increased Pulse & Blood Pressure /Cortef

My son's blood pressure has been elavated since started cortef from about 116/64 pulse 75 to 140/99 pulse 105. The endo said cortef should cause a problem with BP, but his GP said it could. I'm concerned about the elavation and was wondering which doctor is correct. Has anyone else had this problem? He is taking 55 mg of cortef.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User
    Re: Increased Pulse & Blood Pressure /Cortef

Um, your son is taking, IMHO, for a replacement dose, quite a large dose.

Second, cortef is one part of what needs to be replaced but with low BP, then you need minercorticosteroids - florinef. Strange that the endo has not figured that out.

Addison's is a salt-wasting disease. The low BP is showing that he is not managing his fluids. He needs salt tablets at the minimum - and some florinef added. Cortef has a tiny bit but not enough for hardly anyone.

I have no adrenals at all... and my replacement dose is only 22.5 (split 3 ways) and my docs say I would be on 20 if only they were not trying to suppress my ACTH. Please talk to your doc (or consider a new one considering this one does not know much about addison's!) about lowering the dose - gradully of course so he does not get into trouble. Otherwise he will have long term effects from the steroids. Also look into salt tablets.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
    kmatthew
    Veteran
    (female)

kmatthew HB User

30 mg of cortef is usually the maximum dose of cortef that doctors will allow unless you are stress dosing for an illness, I have been on 30 for about a year, and am about to start tapering to 20 as soon as they get my low blood pressure under control. The ,most I have ever taken is 60mg in one day due to oral surgery on my teeth.
    The elevated blood pressure is a concern and is not safe. I would consult your doctor and begin searching for one who is familiar with how to treat this disease. Your son is probably going to need florinef as rumpled said to supplement what he is taking.
    I hope he is better soon.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
    Pam44
    (female)

Pam44 HB User

His endo increased the cortef because he was throwing up and not able to keep down food. He's lost 18 pounds in 3 weeks. I'll call her tomorrow to see if I can get him to see her sooner than the 23rd. He's only been on that dose for the past 3 days. I've been keeping in close contant with his GP (seeing him almost everyday).

Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
    kmatthew
    Veteran
    (female)

kmatthew HB User

What is their response to a blood pressure that high?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User

Have all his hormones been tested? Is there an infection or something going on?
    I understand why he is on the 55mg now, but he should not stay on that long term due to steroid side effects... so it sounds like something else is going on.
    Did they give him an anti-emitic as well? (zofran, phenergan)
    Is he taking enough salt?
    I hope he feels better soon... it is crazy when the episodes hit and you don't know why.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User

Yes, be very careful and aware with that high dose. That said... I've been on 45-55mg for about 2 years now. Adult male, slightly overweight. But I seem to have some kind of malabsorption going on as well. Watch him carefully for hyperadrenia (Cushings) symptoms and be prepared to pull back (with MD's recommendation/approval, of course).

My 45-55mg cortisol did not increase my BP at all (96/66 in am). My MD had to add Fludrocortisone to increase my BP to the point where I wouldn't have the dizzy blackouts all the time. I don't know if Cortisol on its own would / could increase BP.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
    Pam44
    (female)

Pam44 HB User

[
    His GP doctor said not to worry about it for now. We see the endo next week.

QUOTE=kmatthew;3558537]What is their response to a blood pressure that high?[/QUOTE]

Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
    Pam44
    (female)

Pam44 HB User

I think they are mainly trying to get him stabalized and over the nausea. He is doing some better with that today. I also do not like it being so high. His neurologist also said today cortef could cause the BP problem he is having but did not say what we could do about it. It seems my only option is to wait on the endo to decide what to do about it when we see her next week.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloud2 View Post
    Yes, be very careful and aware with that high dose. That said... I've been on 45-55mg for about 2 years now. Adult male, slightly overweight. But I seem to have some kind of malabsorption going on as well. Watch him carefully for hyperadrenia (Cushings) symptoms and be prepared to pull back (with MD's recommendation/approval, of course).

My 45-55mg cortisol did not increase my BP at all (96/66 in am). My MD had to add Fludrocortisone to increase my BP to the point where I wouldn't have the dizzy blackouts all the time. I don't know if Cortisol on its own would / could increase BP.

Closed Thread