It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Borderline Negative/Positive Addisons?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
    CrowesPeak
    (female)

CrowesPeak HB User
    Borderline Negative/Positive Addisons?????

I am new to the board and hope to find some answers to some questions that I have. I was in an auto accident last October and my body is in havoc still. I will need surgery on my C2 and have been in constant pain for months. I get migraines daily and started taking Neurontin last week. I am a 29 yr old female who otherwise has been extremely healthy.

Anyhow, I went to Endocrin to be cleared before surgery due to slow healing. My DHEA levels came back at 23. My Dr ordered a ACTH test, which the results came back this morning. I was told I am borderline negative/positive for Addisons Disease. My Baseline was 11.3, at 30 min it was 19.6 and at 1 hour it was 24.5. They want me to test again in July because they feel my adrenal glands are failing/fatigued.

My Mother has Addisons and I am concerned that being in pain for so long may be "rushing" genetics so to speak and cause my body to go into fatigue. With these levels would you seek further treatment or be satisfied with testing again in a couple months? I was told by my Neurosurgeon that I may require steroids before my surgery to help boost my adrenal glands.

Thank you for reading and any response I receive. I meet with my Neurosurgeon on Tuesday and need to know what we do next. My Endocrinologist is out of town until next week, the nurse called this morning.

THANK YOU!

ETA I was NOT told to fast or not drink for 12 hours before the test. In fact I had a Quaker chocolate chip granola bar less than one hour before the test. The night before the test was extremely emotional as my oldest daughter (middle schooler) caused a scene. Would this effect the results? What I am reading online I should have fasted and relaxed at least 12-48 hours before the test.

Last edited by CrowesPeak; 05-08-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
    Re: Borderline Negative/Positive Addisons?????

It's possible your pituitary gland has been damaged by the accident and is no longer producing hormones properly. If that is the case then you should have all your hormones tested including prolactin, LH, FSH, thyroid, growth hormone as well as cortisol.

Stress before the test would have no effect on a finding of low cortisol. Eating before the test would have no effect if the test was found to be valid based on blood sugar levels during the test.

Last edited by orion; 05-08-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
    CrowesPeak
    (female)

CrowesPeak HB User
    Wink Re: Borderline Negative/Positive Addisons?????

Thank you for the response. My hormones levels came back normal but very low normal. I will require surgery soon and my husband and I are unsure if I will need some sort of cortisol before surgery. Of course I will speak with my Doctors about this but every Doctor seems to interpret these labs differently. I am on a medicine to help block some of the pain I am experiencing and to alleviate the stress on my adrenal gland.

Since my levels did not double nor rise above 20 in 30 minutes during the extended ACTH test, what would be your advice?

Thank you,

Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
    Re: Borderline Negative/Positive Addisons?????

I would get a 24 hour cortisol rhythm test and fasting ACTH done. I would also have them throw in the AI condition most commonly responsible for Addison's ACA (Adrenal cortex antibodies). If you have the antibodies your adrenals are dying... just a matter of when.

In addition is it a good suggestion to get your thyroid function tested as well:
    TSH 3rd gen
    FT3
    FT4

Depending on symptomology.. TPOAB abd TGAB for Hashimoto's might be in order.

I hate that you are suffering, but if you are truly concerned an OTC supplement that is the parent of cortisol is pregnenolone. You can ask you MD if you could add that OTC supplement to your diet as a booster against fatigue and see what they say. Overall something is up and give the bias induced by eating you should double check the tests and see how things are cycling.

MG

Closed Thread