It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• ACTH comparison, hyperpigmentation question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
    Derby0324
    (female)

Derby0324 HB User
    Question ACTH comparison, hyperpigmentation question

I was diagnosed almost a year ago. When I had my ACTH level tested, it came back at 2351. My endo. dr. said that level was extremely high. I just wanted to know what other peoples levels where to compare. I certainly can relate to many of you. The first endo I went diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and gave me Synthyroid. When I told him I was getting worse, he told me I was anxious and depressed and that I needed to be medicated. That's when I switched drs. although I had to wait 3 months to see the second one, it was worth it.

Another question, does the hyperpigmentation ever go away? It doesn't matter how much sunscreen I put on I still get darker everytime I go outside. I have a friend who is outside all the time and I still look like I've spent 6 months in the Islands.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
    jenn842
    (female)

jenn842 HB User
    Re: ACTH comparison, hyperpigmentation question

I had an ACTH level of 2,035. I'm extremely pale by nature but I had hyperpigmentation on all pressure places (knuckles, elbows, where bra straps hit, armpits) and also got real dark grayish color on nipples and in the whole crotch area. It did take a long time, but most of the color has faded. Although scars still turn dark purple when I'm not feeling good. --Jenn G.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
    Derby0324
    (female)

Derby0324 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenn842 View Post
    I had an ACTH level of 2,035. I'm extremely pale by nature but I had hyperpigmentation on all pressure places (knuckles, elbows, where bra straps hit, armpits) and also got real dark grayish color on nipples and in the whole crotch area. It did take a long time, but most of the color has faded. Although scars still turn dark purple when I'm not feeling good. --Jenn G.

Thanks for answering me.

My knuckles, knees, scars, are still dark after a year on meds. I did lighten up slightly this winter, but still tan easily. My doctor said it would go away eventually. He also said since I was undiagnosed for so long it will take a while for my skin to lighten.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
    jenn842
    (female)

jenn842 HB User

I don't get any sun at all but I still get those darker areas when I'm not doing well. I also have lupus and am extremely sun sensitive so I'm covered up 100% of the time (hats, long sleeves, pants and sunscreen) every day. It definitely takes awhile for it to fade after having an acth that high. My almost 10 year old son is seeing a pediatric endo next week for thyroid problems and I'm going to ask to check him for adrenal issues as well since he gets tired easily and is extremely thin and he gets nauseas a lot. He has no hyperpigmentation though but, from what I remember with myself, I didn't get dark areas until after being sick for a long time. --Jenn G.

Closed Thread