It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Addison's and mood swings

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
    fakeplastictree
    (female)

fakeplastictree HB User
    Addison's and mood swings

Hi, I'm 21 years old, I was diagnosed with Addison's when I was 13 and have had the same ups and downs that I'm sure everyone has but recently I've noticed personality changes within myself I can't control.
    My temper is becoming a problem and I'm suffering from pretty bad mood swings. The smallest thing can set me off such as being unable to open a jar or a bag, my hands start to shake and I have to walk away. The mood swings can be severe, I might be in the middle of a great night out or just a quiet night with friends and suddenly I won't want to talk, I'll shut myself off and that will be me for the rest of the night. I read that this can be common with sufferers but these symptoms are not something I'm use to, I'm the least angry person you'll ever meet so I'm not happy about these changes.
    Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
    Bonaroo
    (female)

Bonaroo HB User
    Re: Addison's and mood swings

Hi my name is Bonnie and I've experienced very bad mood swings as well, all in the past 6 months or so, I've just been diagnosed in Jan Officially, but my levels have been low since at least Sept that I know of, that's a differend story about the doctors and the lab messing up big time, I didn't get the results until Dec 10th. About 9 years ago they thought I had cusings syndrome, then my sister was diasnosed with Addisons about 6 years ago, and now me, I truly don't think these doctors know what their doing when it comes to this. But anyway little things set me off big time too, when really I have nothing to be angry about, I also get the shakes really bad and then I start having vision problems, I've also passed out 3 times in the past few months, not really sure what's causing that issue. I think the anger if from the steriods, thats the only thing I can think, that's the only thing that has changed with me, new meds, Have your doctors changed any of your meds lately? If so that could be the problem. I've also noticed that I have a problem with balance and hold things in my hands without dropping them, do you have any of these issues? Let me know if you find out what the anger issue is about, that's something I would really like to get to the bottom of, I don't like feeling this angry all the time, its not me either, this illness sure changes you dosen't it? Take care and I hope to talk to you soon.

Bonnie

Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
    fakeplastictree
    (female)

fakeplastictree HB User

Hi, thank you for the reply.
    So your sister has it too? My brother was diagnosed just over a year before me, although I shared all the symptoms they said it was far too unlikely I would also have it. Doctors eh?

I haven't had my medication changed but it's definitely became more intense lately. I'm glad someone else has this problem. I haven't passed out but I do drop things a lot, I can be holding a glass or a can of juice and it's almost as though I shut off for a split second and lose control of it. Is this the sort of thing you experience?
    Louise.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
    Bonaroo
    (female)

Bonaroo HB User
    Wink Re: Addison's and mood swings

Hi Louise,
    I hope you’re feeling well today. Yes that’s exactly what I’m talking about, it’s kinda like my hands just stop for a split second and anything that’s in them falls out, its pretty scary and I wasn’t sure it was related at all, but I’m guessing now that it is, originally when the shaking and vision problems and everything else started last year I was in the hospital for pneumonia they thought I had MS but that didn’t turn out to be the case.
    I wonder why they thought it was unlikely that you would have it as well as your brother, I mean they thought that I had cushings disease which is the complete opposite of addison’s when they knew my sister had Addison’s and they didn’t seem to have a problem, although I don’t really think they paid any attention when I told them about my sister, the new doctor that I have now said you would probably never find a case where two siblings have the complete opposite disease processes, he said it just doesn’t happen. I’m convinced that all they do is play a guessing game sometimes and if they get it right then they can feel good about it, I’ve had such a very hard time finding a good doctor, I’m glad that I finally found one that has a brain that he uses. Take care Louise and I’ll talk to you soon, btw Louise is my middle name, just thought I’d let you know that. I also got my results from my stimulation test yesterday, if you’d like to take a look I posted them in a new thread, take a peek and let me know what you think if you get a chance.
    Bonnie

Last edited by Bonaroo; 01-21-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
    Diane44
    (female)

Diane44 HB User

Hi there,

I wanted to say that I do the same things with my hands. I just let go and drop things for no apparent reason. I have had Addison's for 2 years now, or have been diagnosed for that long, I know I had it well before the diagnosis. I do not have trouble with the mood swings but I do notice that I anger faster, however, because I am aware of it I can also control it by talking my way through it and thinking positive. I don't know if that will help either of you but hope so. Have a great day!
    Diane

Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
    shelbe
    (female)

shelbe HB User

Have you had your DHEA tested? It is produced in the adrenals and is responsible for hormone production in the body. I was diagnosed with addisons last October but wasn't tested for DHEA until last week. My results were less than 15 and my level should be at 150 for my age. Even though I have only been taking DHEA for 1 week, I already feel less irritated and just overall calmer. I still can't believe how low I was. Just a thought.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
    Diane44
    (female)

Diane44 HB User

Hi,

I do take DHEA and like I said have not noticed the mood swings.....hmmmm....I had forgotten about that part of taking DHEA, I just know it gave me more energy and I just feel overall better. Makes great sense to me.
    Thanks Shelbe.
    Diane44

Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
    fakeplastictree
    (female)

fakeplastictree HB User

DHEA? I've never heard of this. Is it common for people suffering from Addison's disease to take it?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
    Diane44
    (female)

Diane44 HB User

It is common in people with Addisons although you don't have to have Addison's to take it. My hubby also does and he notices a difference in how he feels too. There is a lot of information on it out there you just want to make sure you get the right brand and amount for you. I recommend it being Micronized. Dhea has made an amazing difference in how I feel.
    Diane

Last edited by Diane44; 01-23-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #10
    fakeplastictree
    (female)

fakeplastictree HB User

I've started to look it up but there's a lot of controversy around it. Plus it's only available on prescription here in Scotland. I'm not too sure about.
    Did your doctor recommend it to you?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
    shelbe
    (female)

shelbe HB User

Yes, my Endocrinologist had me tested for it. She assumed that it was probably going to be low and she called as soon as my test results came back. She told me to take 50mg. of DHEA daily. I think the controversy is that people are using DHEA when their levels are fine and it can cause some bad side affects. I am just trying to get my level up where it should be. I really think you should ask your dr. about it.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
    Diane44
    (female)

Diane44 HB User

Hi,
    Dhea is available only over the counter here. I take 20MG a day and my Endo at Mayo in Rochester MN did recommend it. Then she left and I got another Dr who says it doesn't make a difference, I however, notice an incredible difference from it so will continue to take it and have my levels monitored.

Closed Thread