It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• just diagnosed with addisons. pls help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
    kiaguppy
    (female)

kiaguppy HB User
    Re: just diagnosed with addisons. pls help

You definitely need to see another doctor and/or an endocrinologist very soon. You have more than Addison's disease going on which is complicating everything. I don't know what the interaction of Addison's disease meds and Lyme disease is but your pharamacist may be able to shed some light on that or interactions with other meds you're taking. Unfortunately, Addison's disease isn't that common and it's hard to find a doctor with much experience with this disease.

If the Lyme disease was diagnosed and treated promptly, I believe there is less chance of long term effects.

The following user gives a hug of support to kiaguppy:
    ozzyie135 (06-15-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
    OtownGirl
    (female)

OtownGirl HB User

When my endocrinologist first suspected Addison's he gave me a website for the UK Addison's Foundation. You should google it, there is so much useful information on it including the Addison's Disease Owner's Manual. The manual was written not only by endos but also Addison's patients. I didn't look through much as far as doctors go, as I'm in Canada, but it might list names of endos who specialize in adrenal problems within the UK. You'll also be able to print off the what to do in emergencies card, which should help you out if you need to go to the hospital as it will get you seen right away.

Another thing I found through my research is that Lyme Disease often causes Addison's. Although knowing the cause may not help, it's nice to be able to connect the dots.

The following user gives a hug of support to OtownGirl:
    ozzyie135 (06-15-2011)
    Old 06-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #18
    ozzyie135
    (female)

ozzyie135 HB Userozzyie135 HB User

everythings going wrong this week, so scared..... just been told i am in the menopouse at 39 but the doctor said he wont put me on any medication for this as i am to young, is this right???
    I thought when in menopouse you should be put on some sort of HRT replasement am i wrong? i really dont know.....

Also got told i am B12 deficient i am having B12 injections every 3 days for the next 3 weeks then injections every 2 months for life...

Could this all be down to lyme disease if so i really need to be tested and treated properly before anything else goes wrong

Im so young and so scared my body feels like its shutting down and giving up im in so much pain and im so scared for my life.......

Last edited by ozzyie135; 06-11-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #19
    ozzyie135
    (female)

Unhappy I have addisons but is it lyme too? Doctors wont help (IM SCARED)

went to my doctor yesterday asking to be retested for lyme again and he said no because i have been trreated for lyme under the nhs guidlines which is 21 days of ab... I told him this was not enough if i have long term lyme. so i asked if i could be tested privetly...

His reply came.....

Well its not worth having thr test done privetly because testing say it does come back that you have lyme or co-infections who will treat you for it as the NHS wont and if you cant afford to be treated privetly cos the money would have to be funded by you

Also if the test wa done privete no NHS hospital will use the results...

Where does this leave me to die a painful death im scared frustrated feel like ending the pain now cant go on living every day being ill, these last five months everything is going wrong with me and know one seems to want to help, yes the doctors are treating the new conditions that keep arrising but if i could stop the lyme from killing and attacking my emmune system (thats if i have lyme but im 99 % sure i do as i had the bulls eye rash back in 08 before i fell ill) then maybe i would stand a chance but to just leave me like this i dont stand a chance of having a normal life or seeing my boys grow up

JUST A SLOW PAINFUL EXSISTANCE UNTIL EARLY DEATH MAYBE>>>>>>>

Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
    pixiehickies
    (female)

pixiehickies HB Userpixiehickies HB Userpixiehickies HB User

Hiya,
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm having similar issues with the NHS myself and am finding this website a godsend. Sometimes it's just good to know that you're not alone if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I was wondering if you were aware of the Patient Advice and Liaison Service? (Type PALS in google). They deal with all NHS hospitals and they can act on your behalf if you have any issues, complaints etc. It may be worth you having a look. I only found out about it through this site.

I really hope you get the help you need.

Pixie xxxx

The Following User Says Thank You to pixiehickies For This Useful Post:
    ozzyie135 (06-16-2011)
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #21
    ozzyie135
    (female)

i am aware of the PALS in the hospital but im feeling to ill to even put up a fight right now, but i will try not that it will do any good.

All i want to do is give up now, dont think i can go on like this much longer or how much more my body can take..

All i pray for is 1 good day where i can be normal, Thats if i know what normal is anymore my body feels like its had all it can take .

The following user gives a hug of support to ozzyie135:
    lisB (06-17-2011)
    Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #22
    lisB
    (female)

lisB HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ozzyie135 View Post
    i am aware of the PALS in the hospital but im feeling to ill to even put up a fight right now, but i will try not that it will do any good.

All i want to do is give up now, dont think i can go on like this much longer or how much more my body can take..

All i pray for is 1 good day where i can be normal, Thats if i know what normal is anymore my body feels like its had all it can take .
    Wow this sounds like it came from my life... I am so sorry you are also going thou all this... I live in Denmark and things are different here, I do not know some of the words (medical terms) as you guys use, so I do not understand some of it, but what I gain from this post is.....
    What you need to do right now is to find a family member or a close friend to help you fight, someone you trust... Had I not had my husband when I got addison, I would not been here anymore, because I gave up, I just didnt have the strength to keep fighting the desease AND the system aswell.. It sure takes a good health to be sick... so I know what you are going thou, because I have been there and still am.
    You need someone to fight the battles with system, doctors and hospitals, as long as you are not well enough to do it yourself.. And you need it right now...
    The one thing that keeps me going is, I need to make sure my son keep his mother cause I owe that to him, he only has one mother, He is here because I choosed that 12 years ago, and I am staying here as long as possible because of him. so keep telling you that when you feel lowest, see yourself as mother and not as yourself.. that is what helps me. I do it for him, and it gives me much more strenght that way. For me it is easier to fight for his Mother than just me...
    Now each time I go to see a doctor, I do not go alone. first of all because I never remember half of what is said and agreed as I get a lot of painmedicin aswell for something else, but mostly because I need someone who is strong enough to ask the questions I do not ask, and to fight the battles that I can not...
    I have also written a statement that says my husbands words will overrule mine if he says I should be put in hospital and I say no.. cause I nearly lost the battle one time where I said no, as i did not feel I had to go (I did not want to ruin my sons christmas by mom being in hospital, and i nearly ruined his life taking his mom away for good insted). So when I am at my lowest, he takes over.

Dont give up my friend, if you need more peptalk then I am only a msg away.
    You are not alone.
    I trust in life do not hand us more than we can take, but life must really have more faith in us than we do ourself, cause we sure get enough on our plate.
    Thinking of you
    Lis

The following user gives a hug of support to lisB:
    ozzyie135 (06-21-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to lisB For This Useful Post:
    ozzyie135 (06-21-2011)
    Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #23
    ozzyie135
    (female)

Thankyu so much for your sweet reply, im finding it hard to think and write at the moment but soon as i am a litttlr better , i will write back ....

The following user gives a hug of support to ozzyie135:
    lisB (06-22-2011)
    Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #24
    sandylake
    (female)

sandylake HB User

Hi,

We are in the United States. About a month ago, my 22-year old son was very ill and without health insurance, so he did not want to go to the hospital. We finally convinced him and after blood testing he was immediately hospitalized because his sodium levels were abnormally low and his potassium levels were high and he was experiencing orthostatic hypotension (when he stood up he became very dizzy because his heart rate elevated, but his blood pressure dropped significantly).

These are ALL symptoms of an "adrenal crisis," which untreated can be life threatening. Since my son did not want to seek medical help, I specifically asked every one of his doctors "How serious was this?" They ALL replied, "very serious; untreated it could be fatal."

I am somewhat confused why no one has mentioned this in this thread.

(1) A simple blood test can confirm if your sodium and potassium levels are abnormal and

(2) A blood pressure comparision lying down and then after standing can confirm if you are experiencing orthostatic hypotension. These can easily be performed in an emergency room.

Acute adrenal crisis is a life-threatening condition that occurs when there is not enough cortisol, a hormone produced by the adrenal glands.

In adrenal crisis, patients need an immediate injection of hydrocortisone through a vein. or muscle (intramuscular). Also, stabilization of your sodium and potassium levels should be done slowly to prevent brain swelling.

You will need to go to the hospital for treatment and monitoring. If infection caused the crisis, you may need antibiotic therapy.

My son has also been treated for deer tick bites in the past. His Lyme test was negative, but there can be false negatives. In addition, he has had recurrent candida (yeast) skin infections. He had been on Nystatin. And, he was exposed to chemicals at work and was under a lot of personal stress.

We are still trying to sort this all out, but I have learned a lot. I am the sort of person who researches these things thoroughly, when they occur. Maybe too much. I found this forum while looking for natural remedies, as I am not sure about the glucocorticoids (steriods) long term effects. He is presently on hydrocortisone and fludocortisone (low doses). My son is feeling much better, but not "himself."

Just because someone has an "adrenal crisis" does not necessarily mean they have Addison's disease. BUT, a crisis can be the beginning of this disease, whether caused by heriditary reasons (autoimmune disorders) or caused by other "events" such as a virus, etc.

I am sorry that this is so long, but I felt it necessary to make sure you understand the importance for you to get treatment AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.....even if you have to walk into an emergency room and tell them that you have Addisons and you are in an adrenal crisis. I say this, because I saw no evidence in this thread that you are on medications for Addison's disease (which should include replacement of the cortisol that your adrenal glands are not producing).

If you have any family or friends who can read this and help you, PLEASE share this with them. Persons in "adrenal crisis" or who have untreated Addison's disease are also affected psychologically -- their blood chemistry is so dangerously imbalanced these patients are unable to care for themselves or make important correct decisions. They are very confused, which appears to be the case, here. If you don't have anyone close, then please just go to the emergency room, as someone previously suggested. Your very life may be in danger.

I hope that you are able to read this and I pray that you are getting medical help, as I know what this did to my son and I know how close we came to losing him.

PLEASE let us know how you are doing and if you have any further questions, I will certainly try to answer them.

Sandy

Closed Thread