It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Need help wife is dying bad adrenals

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
    rrbtlb
    (male)

rrbtlb HB User
    Need help wife is dying bad adrenals

wife has adrenal disease nothing helping. can't tolerate hycortisone any amount BP thru ceiling. alternative med not much help to date. any suggestions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
    sid045
    (female)

sid045 HB User
    Re: Need help wife is dying bad adrenals

I may be able to help a lot but I need to know more about her condition like what are her symptoms, what meds is she on, and who has been treating her so far. Tell me what her doctors are doing for her. I need to know if she has an adrenal insufficience or complete adrenal failure on the cortex, on the medulla or both. I need to know if shes going into an acute adrenal crisis and if so how often and what is bringing them on. I need to know if she is having problems with other endocrine organs. Let me know!

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-10-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
    rrbtlb
    (male)

rrbtlb HB User

sid045,

Today she feels as if someone is pouring ice water inside her body. Usually she is sleeping a lot at times very hard to wake her. She has tried few supplements from Jennifer Phillips ND of Merchantville NJ and Acupuncture with Wayne Mesiano of Evolutions for Concious Living in Vineland NJ, Her last cortisol levels were a very low normal she's not had tests recently. < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-10-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Please do not request or suggest off-board contact, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
    sid045
    (female)

sid045 HB User

Try using cortisone instead. Have her take smaller doses more often. If her doctor is prescribing say 24 mg of hydrocortisone than have him do the cortisone equivilent and take the total dose and divide it by 6. It's better for her to take smaller doses more often. Hormones work better if they are delivered in a consisitant manner especially patients with adrenal problems. Not having enough or having an inconsistant amount of steroids in your system can lead to an adrenal crisis. If your wife is having problems with the hydrocortisone than maybe she is in an adrenal crisis often. Being in an adrenal crisis will make you more sensitive to everything!
    If your wife is having problems with her blood pressure, feeling weak and lightheaded, having dizziness and headaches, and or being unbelievably thirsty than chances are that the internal part of her adrenal gland is failing her. If this is the case have her doctor put her on a low dose of Florinef and see how she feels. The internal part of your adrenal gland(the medulla) stabilizes the exterior part of her adrenal gland( the cortex) Hydrocortisone treats the exterior part of her adrenal gland.
    Doctors do not understand this illness like a patient who has the disease! If you want to keep your wife alive I suggest that you focus on several things.

1. Controlling blood sugar- make sure that her blood sugar does not go down to fast or it can trigger an adrenal crisis. Avoid using glucose in a crisis unless you only have three minutes before a severe crisis because it will cause her blood sugar to go down too fast. Try Muscle Milk Light Bars. These bars will get her blood sugar up within ten minutes and the protein will prevent her blood sugar from going down too fast.

2. Steroids- She needs to be taking cortisone/hydrocortisone on a consistant basis. She will also need some fast acting cortisone/hydrocortisone in case her stress level goes up and she needs more medicine on an urgent basis. If she needs to be on Florinef, than have a compounding pharmacy make a sublingual form of the drug so that it can be working in her body within 10 minutes.

3. Hydration- She needs to be well hydrated. If she is not well hydrated, it can effect her blood pressure.

4. Thyroid- Make sure her thyroid is working effectively. If her thyroid is hyper it will cause her to require more steroids plus it can increase her heart rate. If her thyroid is slow than it will cause her to be very tired and it will, again, change how many steroids that she needs.

5. Avoid Stimulants- taking stimulants like caffeine can change how your thyroid works plus stimulants put stress on the adrenal gland.

6. Lifestyle Management- Avoid stress, especially physical stress

7. Allergies- Keep allergies under control as not doing so adds stress to the body.

8. Hypopituitarism- Be aware that adrenal problems can effect the pituitary gland by slowing it down. Have this area checked. She may need to be on supplemental hormones for her pituitary gland.

These suggestions have worked well for me. I am not a doctor and my advice is not to be used as a substitute for management or care from a medical professional. Good luck

Last edited by sid045; 01-11-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
    sid045
    (female)

sid045 HB User

Your wife is going to be very tired if she has adrenal disease. She will also have zero tolerance to temperature. Check her temperature. My guess is that her normal body temperature is lower than 98.6. She will feel like she's cold a lot. She also may be anemic. She absolutely needs to be on hydrocortisone/cortisone. If she's having side effects from the drug than have her take lower doses of the drug more often. She could be in an adrenal crisis's constantly which could be causing her to be hyper-sensitve to everything including her medication. What symptoms is she having which makes her feel that she can't tolerate the medication. These medications have huge side effects if they are not administered properly. What dose is she on and what was her cortisol level? Is she thirsty all the time? Is she having weakness in her body especially in the legs. Does she feel that at times her heart races and at other times her blood pressure is dropping out from under her? Is she having symptoms of hypoglycemia? What is her blood pressure? Has she been tested for Hypothyroid? My gut instinct tells me that she has Schmidt's Syndrome which is an autoimmune disease which attacks the endocrine organs. It is very deadly if it is not caught early. Look it up on the web to see if her symptoms are similar. Does she get sick a lot. When she gets sick does it end up in her lungs? Does she have problems with her gut? Adrenal disease can cause problems with the digestion and the absorption of food. Is her weight normal or is her weight high or low.
    As you know, adrenal disease is very deadly and it effects every cell in your body. You need to get her to a good doctor very quickly!!!! If you live in New Jersey you may need to go to the chief of endocrinology at University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philedelphia for help. If you live closer to New York City then I recommend that you go to the chief of Endocrinology at New York's Colombia Presbitarian Hopsital. You need to take her to a hospital who deals with very complex problems as your wife's disease is very complex and very rare. I am very concerned about your wife!!!! She needs help immediately!! Email me soon! I have this disease and I understand it like no other person. I can help you with the help of a good doctor! Get her to a good doctor immediately or she will die!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
    sid045
    (female)

sid045 HB User

Hey, I just learned that you live in Alloway, New Jersey. I used to live in Woodstown, New Jersey when this disease hit a crisis. You are in trouble if you live in Alloway, NJ. I had doctors from Philedelphia write presecriptions for blood work for hypothyroid which I had done at a lab associated with Salem Hospital and time after time the results came back normal. One month after I left Woodstown for Baltimore, Salem Hospital's lab had been shut down for numerous violations!! When I got to Baltimore and I had my thyroid tested, I found out that my thyroid had completely failed!!
    I would not put any value in the blood tests that your wife has had done so far if they are associated with Salem Hospital. Furthermore, I would not trust any doctors or hopsitals that are associated with the South Jersey/Delaware Health System. I have been through more than 50 doctors from that healthcare system and they were all bad. If I had not moved back home to Baltimore when I did than I would be dead now!!!!
    You need to bring your wife to Baltimore to see a doctor by the name of Dr. Ann C. Morrill (410)529-8334. She's an Internist, Endocrinologist, Emergency Room Physician, she has extensive backround in Gynecology and Pain Management, she's a Lawyer and a single mother of 4 kids. She's only 44 years old. She's super woman!!!! She saved my life!!!!! You can get an appointment with her the same day that you call. Her office is about an hour and 15 minutes away from you. It is right off #95 and #695 so it is just a little farther than Philedelphia is from you.
    Dr. Morrill understands this disease!!! She will save your wife's life!!!!! Your wife may be too tired to make the trip but she needs to get out of the South Jersey/Delaware Health System if she wants to live. It's an easy drive so have her bring a blanket and sleep in the car. When Dr. Morrill requests lab work, have it done in Maryland near her office. Do not have any more blood work done in South Jersey or in Delaware.
    If you have any questions than email me. I'd love to meet both you and your wife sometime in the near future. Mostly I want to help give you and your wifes life back to you. Dr. Morrill will do that for you. I should have been dead 15,000 times over when I met her and now I am thriving!!!

Last edited by sid045; 01-12-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
    scrummynut
    (female)

scrummynut HB User

Do you know what is causing her adrenals to fail?? Have you tried therapeutic nutritional support such as 2000mg of Vit C, high dose B5, magnesium, rhodiola and or siberian ginseng?? Alternatively there are Glandulars for the adrenals. There has been success with this protocol but am not sure how far progressed your wife's condition is....

Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
    dostrowski
    (female)

dostrowski HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrbtlb View Post
    wife has adrenal disease nothing helping. can't tolerate hycortisone any amount BP thru ceiling. alternative med not much help to date. any suggestions
    has she tried prednisone or cortef? Cortef is I think the easiest to take. honestly with my addisons diseas my BP was always low - has the doc tried to find out why the cortisone raises the Bp - IV fluids should bring her salt into ballance and there are ways to lower potassium that a doctor can explain - never heard of a case like this - I'm sorry for your problems.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrbtlb View Post
    sid045,

Today she feels as if someone is pouring ice water inside her body. Usually she is sleeping a lot at times very hard to wake her. She has tried few supplements from Jennifer Phillips ND of Merchantville NJ and Acupuncture with Wayne Mesiano of Evolutions for Concious Living in Vineland NJ, Her last cortisol levels were a very low normal she's not had tests recently. < edited >
    Hi I can honestly say that in my opinion acupuncture seems to be totally useless. That may help the pocketbook at least. I read that aloe vera may be stimulatory to adrenal glands. I would use the raw leaves juiced in a juicer at home or the raw parts simply eaten after the green outer tough part has been removed. Often the bottled varieties do not seem to have the same properties as the raw juice in my opinion. The bottled usually has additives some of which may be harmful to the body. What natural things were tried for high blood pressure besides acupuncture. If herbs were tried which ones? Has any type of hand cupping been done (not the accupuncture type of cupping)?Everyone is of course responsible for their own choices in life and there are no promises that this information will help.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
    CFIDS
    (male)

CFIDS HB User

Adrenal Stress End by Enzymatic Therapy Fatigued to Fantastic...also, lookup Adrenal fatigue book by Dr. James Wilson, and also some other adrenal friendly supplements are Hymilaya Ashwaghanda extract, and especially Royal Jelly...ROYAL OIL by North American Herb and Spice under the tongue as often as needed and another Royal Jelly in pill form (such as Y.S. Organic Bee Farms) or the Royal Power by North American Herb and Spice...I am not saying to take ALL this at once, but maybe try one for month and see if there is any improvement and then add another on top of it later...the Adrenal Stress forumla has licorice root in it which is good for adrenals, but when I fought off a serious bout of adrenal fatigue (not as bad as you describe though) the thing I used at the time as ashwaganda and royal oil and royal jelly all at the same time! but adding a new one each week, royal oil 2-3 times per day I think is what I did to start and it helped. Just my experience, and ZERO caffeine, sugar, smokes, alcohol, or any other stimulants...

Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi have there been bad allergies in the past and if so to what? Most medicines are known to be hard on kidneys according to what I have heard, because the kidneys are an organ that helps to detoxify, clean the body and lets waste out. Reading on the subject of lowering blood pressure the natural way might be useful in my opinion. Mudbaths were used in the old days for kidney failure but the truth is I am not sure if this would work for the adrenal glands. Have a nice day!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
    sid045
    (female)

sid045 HB User
    Smile Re: Need help wife is dying bad adrenals

I am sorry that your wife is suffering. Adrenal Disease can be extremely life threatening. On this type of illness, I am a professional. I have complete adrenal failure am I have figured out what doctors will never know.

First, any allergies or sensitivities will dramatically aggrevate your adrenal disease!!! If you are allergic or sensitive to anything, the things that you are allergic to will effect your blood like a poison. You do not have to be allergic to something for it to cause extreme problems, all you have to do is be sensitive to something for it to cause you problems. Food, chemicals, dust, medicines and cigarette smoke are the top irritants that your wife needs to stay away from. Noise and clutter are also problems. Sunlight at the wrong time can be problematic. Cold and rainy weather can be problematic. Temperature changes are always problematic. The smell of unpleasant food can be problematic. Sodas, alcohol, sugar, salt, spices, vinegar, milk, wheat, whey protein, chocolate and caffeine usually are very problematic. Ask your wife if she ever feels like she is being poisoned, if her blood feels like it is burning, if she can feel her blood running through her veins. Medicines are the number one cause of this. People with adrenal disease do not handle medicines well at all. Keep an eye on what she is taking. Make sure that she is only taking medicine that are used for life threatening purposes, only. When you have adrenal disease any medicine, even beniegn medicine like tylenol, can cause problems. Medicines can act like poison on the body and they add stress on the body. Make sure that your wife stays away from pain medicine especially narcotics!!! Narcotics cause severe hormone imbalances. Tramadol, also, usually acts like a poion in the body. If your wife needs pain medicine and over the counter medicines are not enough to handle the pain, ask her doctor about an anti-narcotic such as Suboxone. It is very effective for severe pain. Suboxone is used to treat people with drug addiction and not every doctor can prescribe it so do an internet search and you will be able to find a doctor in your area who can prescribe it, if your doctor cannot.

Food allergies and food sensitivities are also a concern for people with adrenal disease. I would suggest you read a book called Eat Right For Your Blood Type. Have your wife stay on the correct diet for her blood type for a month and I guarrantee she will feel better. When I follow the correct diet for my blood type, I feel great but when I dont than I feel like I want to die.

Exercise for 1/2 hour everyday is essential in controlling adrenal disease!!!!!!! For me running works best but if your wife cannot run than any type of exercise will do the job.

These are a few suggestions than I know will help your wife. If you need more help than please let me know. I know more about adrenal disease than any doctor on the planet. Doctors are changing the way that they treat adrenal disease because of my case and the information that I have been able to give them. Best wishes and God Bless

The following user gives a hug of support to sid045:
    ecstasy (01-24-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to sid045 For This Useful Post:
    ecstasy (01-24-2011)
    Closed Thread