It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Secondary AI, low aldosterone just discovered...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
    Matty
    (male)

Matty HB User
    Secondary AI, low aldosterone just discovered...

Hi folks,

So long story short I am a 28 year old male with hypopituitaryism. I'm on a laundry list of hormones for that... and have been for a while now. I've felt a lot better since being on replacement hormones.

But one thing I've never been able to kick is the wicked fatigue. Really bad raccoon eyes with dark circles around them too. I've been on a wide dose of HC over the years from 40MG down to as low as 10 (for secondary AI flatlined cortisol), and honestly outside of the morning dose (and even then), I don't notice much a difference on energy being on it.

Anyways I think I figured it out but I need some opinion. Recently did a 24 hour urine analysis where I came back with a low aldosterone (and high salt wasting) level of 3.9 in a range of 6-26. After doing a bunch of research I think my symptoms are starting to match up:

- very frequent urination
    - significant fatigue and crashes (rollercoaster)
    - intense salt cravings at all times of the day
    - muscle spasms
    - dark circles under eyes (dehydration?)
    - night sweats/sweating
    - poor response to HC

I've had the above for as long as I've had pituitary problems and tried EVERYTHING to fix these issues.

I need some opinions, could Florinef be the answer for me? I am so scared to get my hopes up but it just sounds too related.

Last edited by Matty; 02-19-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #2
    rlpowers
    (female)

rlpowers HB User
    Re: Secondary AI, low aldosterone just discovered...

Hi Matty,

I take Flourinef (sp?) daily due to my blood pressure always being low and dropping. It has helped with the blood pressure, but I still have alot of fatigue. I am not sure anything wil help that other than moderate exercise. The one thing I have noticed is alot addisonians stating they crave salt. I do once in a great while, I mostly crave sweets. Having Addison's is not a death sentence. It is a relearning process. You need to learn what causes episodes how you react and what you need to do. Also educating people close to you in case you go into an addisonian crises.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
    pacerpilot
    (male)

pacerpilot HB Userpacerpilot HB User
    Re: Secondary AI, low aldosterone just discovered...

Hi Matty,
    I've been on the board only a couple days now and there seems to be a common theme among Addisonians-fear and uncertainty. You needn't have either. It sounds like your meds are off a bit (particularly your thyroid) but there is a much bigger factor involved in physical compromise-you. Make sure you maintain a decent level of fitness. Since I was diagnosed at 12 my docs all have told me the same thing "you should feel like a million bucks", I do except if I drink to much or get sick. Bascially, we feel drained like we've been in a fight-only we haven't. Talk to your doc and start excersizing very, very slowly (just walk or something-no big weights or marathon gym sessions!). After a period of many months you will notice a difference-your body will respond and you will perk up. Be well.

Closed Thread