It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• middle of night need steroids??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
    luvthesun
    (female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User
    middle of night need steroids??

I'm wondering if anyone else has problems with sleeping through the night. I can't remember the last time I slept for more than a couple of hours straight, and it seems to be getting worse. And I usually don't feel good when I wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning. Seems to be lots of low cortisol symptoms: nausea, needs to eat some carbs & salt, headache, etc. I always assume it's that I need more cortisol, but I take 4mg prednisone around 9:30pm. I would think that would get me through the night. Or maybe I'm waking up because of taking the cortisone before bed. I don't think so as the reason why I started to take it later at night was that I was definitely waking up in steroid withdrawal when I used to take a lower dose and take it earlier in the evening. That was why I started to take it later at night. Does anyone else take cortisone late at night? Does it interfere w/ your sleep? Does anyone else wake up during the night and need to eat carbs, take steroid, etc.? I'm at a loss.... and do not have much of a life because of it, and am not currently working due to lots of complications w/ Addison's, but especially this sleep deprivation. And my doc is not much help. I have found that most docs don't really "get" this disease, and think that it ought to be easily managed with corticoids.... end of story. Ha! Not that easy. So I find it much more helpful to ask others who also live with this condition.

Thanks so much for anything any of you can share...

Be well... sleep well....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
    jenni12
    (female)

jenni12 HB User
    Re: middle of night need steroids??

Yea I have a hard time sleeping as well sometimes, I take prednisone though, I've been on that for 5 years now, but I was on cortisone first and my body wasn't doing as great as my doctor wanted. But with addisons the most important thing for me is sleep! I just had a baby and just waking up to feed him was the hardest thing on my body, and now that he sleeps through the night I can sleep! But I still find me waking up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. But I just lay there and rest, I think to myself as long as I just lay here and rest i'm fine. Then gradually I fall asleep. But don't get up out of bed and don't let your mind run on anything, that helps. And maybe get another doctor who cares enough to know how serious addisons is. My endo I see only twice a year, but my primary didn't now anything about it, but he became an expert very quick. Good luck I hope you get some sleep! Oh I don't know if you do this, but try not to take a nap after 3, take earlier ones never late ones.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User

Trying to work through this myself. Dx-ed in 2005, and have tried low doses of hydrocortisone before bed or not... sometimes it seems to help, other times not, so I really think I don't have the right picture/facts. Haven't found a good endo here in the Dallas area and am learning together with my internist (MD).

You mentioned carbs, luvthesun, and although I often crave them, I sleep better with a small protein snack before bed instead of carbs. Something like an egg, or spoonful of peanut butter, or cheese slice. That's the same stuff I find helpful when I wake up needing something at 3am.

Looking for someone more knowledgeable to pop into this thread and have the answer!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
    Quic
    (male)

Quic HB User

I am 31 yr old male, have had addison's with hypothyroidism for about 3 yrs. I am currently taking 20mg hydrocortisone a day in three divided doses, breakfast,lunch,and supper(6 p.m.). I am also having difficulties sleeping and getting up in the mornings, I tried taking melatonin but I felt tired and weak the next day. I used to take prednisone 5mg a day at 5 p.m. and still had difficulty sleeping. If I take my meds to late (no later than 6 p.m.) I wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and crash by 8 a.m. I'm wondering if I'll ever manage this disease.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
    sadaboutaddison
    (female)

sadaboutaddison HB User

I'm with Cloud 2, I would try a protein snack before bed. I was having the same problem. I do better when I stay away from simply carbs even during the day. I wonder if your sugar level is going low at this hour? That would wake you with a headache and tha crave for carbs.
    S-

Old 04-24-2010, 03:59 AM   #6
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User

Quic - what I'm remembering of the daily cycle, natural cortisol levels should be high in the morning, moderate mid-day, then low in the evening. Taking everything at suppertime, or even spread evenly across the day would likely leave your levels too high at bedtime. It would be good to check with your doctor about when to take how much. I'm currently at 80% of my daily in the morning, and 20% at lunchtime. What I'm looking at is moving only about 5% of it to evening.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
    simonwaller7
    (male)

simonwaller7 HB User

I have EXACTLY this problem. I am secondary but have been getting worse since my diagnosis. I only manage on 20,10,10 dosing and now i cannot even do any physical exertion and have totally lost any quality of life (i was as an olympic squad member until i got ill).

I am positive it is due to running low on cortisol during the night and have tried a few methods to control this but not been succesful (late night extra HC or even trying pred).

The reason for getting hypo symptoms at night is that when the body fasts (ie over night) and has no immediate source of carbs this causes the adrenals to put out cortisol which stimulates the liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose and release it into the blood stream to keep he level normal. Obviously with diminished orno cortisol to do this we cant correct falling blood levels.

During the day im typicall not hungry but no matter what i eat before bed i have almost every night for a few months now woken up needing to eat carbs, i have tried bglucose tabs or simiar but these dont seem to help as much as say some bread. Its worrying because i actually end up overeating on junk at night and with not being able to exercise anymore i am gaining weight. Aside from that i havent had a good night sleep or slept for more than 2 hours continually for about a year.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
    sadaboutaddison
    (female)

sadaboutaddison HB User

Hi!
    I suffer with primary addison's, for years before being diagnosed I had hypoglycemia and did wake in the night needing to eat even after beeing diagnosed. I did find that proteins did help me some what. Now I'm sleeping real good at night and I'm getting my energy back, I think it is connceted to being on vitamin D3. I was diagnosed about a month ago with vitamin D deficiency and I am taking 2000IU aday, it took me time to find a D3 that agreed with me. I tried the script from the Dr for 50,000IU once a week and that made even more exhuasted. Tried that for two weeks and then my Endo told me to take 2000Iu aday and get checked in 8 weeks. Maybe there is a conncetion have your Dr check you for the 25 Hydroxy vitamin D. Good Luck!

Closed Thread