It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• elevated cortisol, elevated DHEA-S, low TSH and Low

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
    andeflora
    (female)

andeflora HB User
    elevated cortisol, elevated DHEA-S, low TSH and Low

Hi all.. I am new to this whole thryoid/adrenal thing and I am really confused! Here are some of my test results...

Free T4 1.18 (.82-1.77)
    TSH 1.1 (.5-4.5)
    Cortisol 17.6 @ noon (2.3-11.9)
    T3 141 (71-180)
    sedimentation Rate 6 (0-20)
    thyroid stim immunoglobulin are still out

PREVIOUS Test (2 weeks earlier)
    Free T4 .8 (.82-1.77)
    TSH .8 (.5-4.5)

1 Month ago DHEA-S 288 (45 - 270)

Typically someone would have high cortisol low DHEAS or vice versa. AND if someone had high TSH they would have low Free T4 or vice versa. Why are mine low/low and adrenal elevated/elevated? What could this be? I do have most of the hypothyroidism symptoms... exhaustion, rapid weight gain, dry itchy skin, dry hair, nails constantly breaking etc. But I see now that those are also symptoms of adrenal gland issues.

any one have any idea what is wrong with me!?!? I feel crazy with all of these symptoms and the test all coming back all over the place.

I would GREATLY appreciate any insight, ideas or feedback you have to offer!!!

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
    Eva from Sweden
    (female)

Eva from Sweden HB User
    Re: elevated cortisol, elevated DHEA-S, low TSH and Low

Hi!

First I want to make clear that I am swedish and my english is quite good, but far from perfect and you might have to use your imagination while reading this

Just like you I have obvious thyroid symptoms. I also have TSH, T3 and T4 within range. I even have high DHEA combined with high cortisol.

Here are my results. The values are different because my T4 + T3 is from 24h urin, cortisol and DHEA from saliva where cortisol was tested 4 times within 24 hours.

TSH (serum) 1.1
    T4 pmol/24h 803 (347-1994)
    T3 pmol/24h 1277 (592-1850)
    DHEA nmol/l 3.51 (0.40-1.47)
    Total daily Cortisol nmol/l 42.4 (21-41)

I think my elevated DHEA is due to something called PCO-S (plycystic ovarian syndrome). My menses started when I was about 14-15 and my cycle has alwyas been irregular and 60-90 days long. After my second child (a boy 8˝ years ago) I also got hirsutism. Actually I think my thyroid problems started at the same time...

Quote:
    Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known as Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a common gynecological disorder characterized by hypergonadotrophism, hirsutism, obesity, oligomenorrhea and commonly associated with infertility. (1) PCOS is a complex clinical picture and presents a multifaceted etiology related to imbalance of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, thyroid involvement and metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance). (1) There is substantial evidence that PCOS should no longer be considered purely a gynecological disorder, but rather a complex endocrine disorder. (2)
    50% of the women with PCO-S also have elevated levels of DHEA!

The reason I found this board was because I googled "DHEA TSH". Like you I was curious about the combination where both DHEA and cortisol were elevated. I also found two unrelated swedish comments in two different boards who both had an increased TSH after they both stopped their medication with DHEA (=when DHEA decreased) Isn´t that interesting?

I am since a couple of months in a state of total exhaustion for the second time in 5˝ years. I have been to the doctors a couple of times but get no help treating my condition. Beacause of the total lack of energy I have no strength to fight with doctors within the swedish health care system. The only thing I get out of it is humiliation and they have now deported me to psyciatric care. This friday I will travel 450km to Stockholm to a private doctor. Hopefully he will be able to help me and look beyond my test results to see the obvious signs of a thyroid desease.

Good luck to you!
    Eva

Last edited by moderator2; 05-18-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread