It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Is it bad to eat potassium foods?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User
    Is it bad to eat potassium foods?

I have recently had a slightly high potassium level, just barely over normal. I do not have Addison's, but have lightheadedness, wacky b/p, and more similar issues. What i would like to know from you Addisonians is, I know you tend to have higher potassium because of your disease. So, what I was wondering was, did you tend to feel worse when you ate things high in potassium, such as bananas and other fruit? I don't normally eat fruit, and when I do, the next day I seem more fatigued, more lightheaded. It may have nothing to do with the fruit--do y'all have an problem with it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
    sadaboutaddison
    (female)

sadaboutaddison HB User
    Re: Is it bad to eat potassium foods?

Hi Sue1234,
    I have addison's disease, autoimmune- I'm frustrated that the thread doing with true addison's is locked. I want to let you know if you have addison's and your sodium is low your blood preassure could definetly rise(happened to me 4 x's) when you stand. I ended up in the hospital 4 x's last year with low sodium before being diagnosed fully 2nd visit diagnosed with addison, and the it took a new endo and two more visit to hospital to find out why I keep lossing my sodium I am low aldesterone(associated with addison's). I get a full range of symptoms when sodium is low. Exhausted-numbness in hands and feet- weakness in legs leg cramps-crabby-and was unable to walk for 4 days with 1 st visit to hospital. And crave carb and tons of salt.
    I hope this helps.
    PS. I'm sorry it's post on this thread but couldn't get in touch with you.

Last edited by sadaboutaddison; 05-27-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
    ssMarilyn
    Inactive
    (female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sue1234 View Post
    I have recently had a slightly high potassium level, just barely over normal. I do not have Addison's, but have lightheadedness, wacky b/p, and more similar issues. What i would like to know from you Addisonians is, I know you tend to have higher potassium because of your disease. So, what I was wondering was, did you tend to feel worse when you ate things high in potassium, such as bananas and other fruit? I don't normally eat fruit, and when I do, the next day I seem more fatigued, more lightheaded. It may have nothing to do with the fruit--do y'all have an problem with it?
    Foods high in potassium such as fruit (especially bananas and dried figs) make adrenal fatigue worse.

Isn't this odd, that if you have adrenal fatigue, which can lead to Addisons, your bp actually drops when you stand up. I did the 'at home' tests and two of them showed me positive for adrenal fatigue. The bp test and the scrape the belly test.

Last edited by ssMarilyn; 06-01-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
    sadaboutaddison
    (female)

sadaboutaddison HB User

Hi!
    What is this scrape the belly test? I never heard of it.
    Thanks

Old 07-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
    kim325
    (female)

kim325 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sue1234 View Post
    I have had Addison's Disease for 10 yrs. If I eat 2 oranges, it's em room time. I can tolerate maybe 4 strawberries or 1 orange a week. I feel like death if I eat too much potassium. I LOVE fruit and potatoes and spinach in a salad. Been real hard for me to give up. Has ur skin color darkened? My first visible symptoms were dark lines in palm of hand, gums purple, and hair fell out under arms. Everyone may not do that, but that was keys that helped prove to doctors it wasnt all in my mind. Got down to 68lbs b4 I got that diagnosis. love to hear back from u. Email me with any questions that I may be able to answer. Hope u feel better soon.

Closed Thread