It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• cortisone acetate shortage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
    schneid99
    (male)

schneid99 HB User
    cortisone acetate shortage

is anyone running in to this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
    double4trouble
    (male)

double4trouble HB User
    Unhappy Re: cortisone acetate shortage

Yes, since June as well. Can't find and pharmacist says only one maker is producing it. For a drug company, there is opportunity to make money- why aren't they?

I do not want to go back to dexamethasone either, bad news.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
    km993
    (female)

km993 HB User
    Re: cortisone acetate shortage

I take a generic cortisol replacement. Hydrocortisone. I have had the
    Dexamethasone IM before, when I had extreme BP dropping issues with Adrenal Crisis.

Three days worth of injections, worked, but those shots hurt like a Mother! Even days after, like you've been kicked by a horse! Did you take yours IM? They have it in oral as well. What was the bad news with it?

I keep vials of it for emergency. Although I haven't used it yet, as usually taking a stress oral dose of hydrocortisone works, as long as it reaches my stomach. Afraid to do the shots. Had an episode today and my 14 yr old daughter had to help me off the floor when my bp bottomed out. Gave me a stress oral stress dose and put me on the couch. Still feeling wiped. Thinking about contacting my physician on Monday to get the Dexamethasone oral refilled. Have a hard time keeping my salt level up.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
    double4trouble
    (male)

double4trouble HB User

kmonaco
    I did take the dexamethasone orally for 1.5 years in my late twenties. Experienced severe hip pains and later read that it is a hip disolver. Told Endo about it and he immediately switched me from it. Not sure why i went from Cortisone Acetate to dex and then back- It was never explained. Anyways, a month ago he put me on hydrocortisone tablets and they are working, but have gained 5lbs since then. I crave salt like crazy and my BP is usually 90/60. I eat a lot of soup, V8 and dill pickles, but always did since getting Addisons when I was 16YO.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
    km993
    (female)

km993 HB User

I wouldn't worry about the 5 lbs, unless you keep gaining. It's probably that you are finally hydrated. If you keep gaining, just watch your starch carb intake. I gained 30 lbs in a couple of months when I first started the steroids then found out I had launched myself into type 2 diabetes with the hydrocortisone & fludrocortisone. Then I started metformin, but I did not loose the weight until I started following a diabetic diet. I only count my starch carbs and I've lost the weight and maintained for over 2 years now. Best my weight has ever been. I count total of 15 starch carbs for breakfast, 15-30 for lunch and 30 for dinner. Like breads or processed food. It's really helped. I try and keep in the habit of watching my weight daily so I can tell if I'm getting dehydrated before symptoms sneak up on me. That helps too.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
    CortisoneLife
    (male)

CortisoneLife HB User
    Red face Re: cortisone acetate shortage

I just found a Pharmacy that stocked the prescription, and I have a months worth of doses. I have been on Cortisone since 2003, and two years ago, I ran into this same problem, started on Hydrocortisone and my quality of life diminished greatly. Has anyone been successful at getting cortisone from Canada? I am desperate and truly afraid of the implications of loosing access to such a crucial part of my daily routine.

Closed Thread