It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Cushing's or Addison's?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
    suffer_bad21
    (male)

suffer_bad21 HB User
    Cushing's or Addison's?

I suspect I may have one of these. Here are my symptoms.....

Iíve been noticing some symptoms for a while now, but they have been getting progressively worse. They include facial flushing, wounds and bruises slowly healing, , memory problems, excessive hunger and thirst, randomly becoming allergic to a ton of foods that never bothered me before, vertigo, acne, blurry vision, water retention, dizziness, disoriented, , headaches, backaches, nausea, GI issues (all of the most common ones) night sweats, dry skin.
    (I separated this part to explain it better). I also have really bad fatigue and what I suspect to be blood sugar issues along with sleep issues, waking up feeling exhausted even after sleeping a lot. It will usually take me a ton to get going when I wake up (this is amplified x10 after eating too much sugar. It will be so bad that I will sleep 20+ hours. If I donít force myself up it has been up to 30+ hours. Sometimes I canít force myself up. If I get up I will be falling asleep standing). I also suspect that I am having blood sugar issues and also because I will overheat horribly after I eat, to the point where I canít sleep Iím so warm. It has been so bad that I will be outside in the weather with just a t-shirt on and I wonít feel cold at all for a while. It will actually feel good to be out in the freezing weather. After eating any big meal I will get extremely tired.

I also have a high white blood cell count. I'm getting a Cat scan on my stomach done within the next few days. My GI doctor said this will show if there are any abnormalities on my adrenals. I want to get my cortisol and dhea levels checked as well though. I am going to ask what type of doctor I should see for that.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, or anything they want to tell me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
    luvthesun
    (female)

luvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB Userluvthesun HB User
    Re: Cushing's or Addison's?

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with your health ... do you have a Primary Care Physician? You clearly need to be referred to an Endocrinologist. You have many symptoms presenting as Addison's Disease or Adrenal Insufficiency, and there is an obvious issue with blood sugar dysfunction, which is closely tied to adrenal function. An Endocrinologist will help with both the adrenal situation and blood sugar. You really need to do this as soon as you can because you don't need to be feeling so horribly.

In the meantime, try your best to stay away from too much sugar and high carbohydrate meals... they both are very taxing for both your adrenals and blood sugar balance. Lots of good quality protein, good fats, veggies, and limited carbs & grains. This in itself should make you feel better. I know it's hard because you probably crave the sweets & carbs because you're so fatigued and your body/brain registers them as energy, but unfortunately they only feel good for a little while and then you crash, and then you crave more sweets. And the vicious cycle continues. Meanwhile you are placing a heavy burden on both your adrenal glands and perpetuating the cycle of the up & down blood sugar pattern. This needs to be stopped so your adrenals can rest and repair.

I hope something here helps, moreover, I hope you find yourself a good Endocrinologist ... hang in there. It will get better. You just haven't found the right help yet. Your problems are clearly much more than gastro ... there is a huge hormonal component here.

Keep the faith.

Sincerely,
    Mollie

Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
    suffer_bad21
    (male)

suffer_bad21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvthesun View Post
    I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with your health ... do you have a Primary Care Physician? You clearly need to be referred to an Endocrinologist. You have many symptoms presenting as Addison's Disease or Adrenal Insufficiency, and there is an obvious issue with blood sugar dysfunction, which is closely tied to adrenal function. An Endocrinologist will help with both the adrenal situation and blood sugar. You really need to do this as soon as you can because you don't need to be feeling so horribly.

In the meantime, try your best to stay away from too much sugar and high carbohydrate meals... they both are very taxing for both your adrenals and blood sugar balance. Lots of good quality protein, good fats, veggies, and limited carbs & grains. This in itself should make you feel better. I know it's hard because you probably crave the sweets & carbs because you're so fatigued and your body/brain registers them as energy, but unfortunately they only feel good for a little while and then you crash, and then you crave more sweets. And the vicious cycle continues. Meanwhile you are placing a heavy burden on both your adrenal glands and perpetuating the cycle of the up & down blood sugar pattern. This needs to be stopped so your adrenals can rest and repair.

I hope something here helps, moreover, I hope you find yourself a good Endocrinologist ... hang in there. It will get better. You just haven't found the right help yet. Your problems are clearly much more than gastro ... there is a huge hormonal component here.

Keep the faith.

Sincerely,
    Mollie
    Thanks for the reply. It is very nice hearing from someone who is understanding. I do have a Primary Care Physician. He ran some basic blood work, but when nothing showed up he suggested prescribing me some antidepressants and he also wanted to refer me to a psychiatrist. He wasn't the one that referred me to the GI doctor either. I just figured that it might be a stomach issue so I called and scheduled an appointment with one myself. My GI doctor has basically run every GI related test possible. I suggested that I might be having some hormone issues and she didn't disagree or anything. She just said that I would have to see a different doctor to get properly accessed. Today I had my CT scan done that she suggested. I should hear back on the results within the next day or so. In the meantime I am going to call up my primary care physician and figure out what endocrinologist I should see.

As far as diet, I have been staying away from carbohydrates as much as I can. However, I have been trying to avoid fats as much as possible. I forgot to mention in my previous post that my GI doctor ran a HIDA scan on my gall bladder and found out that it is only functioning at 46%. At 35% and below they say that you should have it taken out. Since mine is close and has no chance at getting better I plan on having that removed soon. Although it isn't functioning properly, I don't think it is causing me to have all these symptoms. It definitely is playing a part, but I believe that I am definitely having some hormone issues as well.

Anyways, I have been doing a good job at keeping grains out my diet, but sugar is a tough one. You hit the nail on the had when you said it's hard to keep sweets and carbohydrates low due to the fact that I am so fatigued. I also am running out of food to eat because it seems like slowly but surely I am becoming allergic to everything.

Thanks again for replying to me. It has been very upsetting because this has been placing a huge burden on me for a while and it's frustrating not being able to come up with any answers. I will be sure to keep updating this thread as I find out more information on exactly what is going on. The symptoms are scary.

Do you have hormone issues yourself?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:51 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The only thing a CT scan will show on the adrenals is if you have a tumor or enlarged glands. The hormone levels measured in the blood are the important thing. I would also be sure to get thyroid levels done when you see the endocrinologist. Do you have BP problems? Like low BP? That would fit with Addison's or low thyroid. You might also have an ANA checked, as some of your symptoms could be related to lupus or an autoimmune disorder.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
    suffer_bad21
    (male)

suffer_bad21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    The only thing a CT scan will show on the adrenals is if you have a tumor or enlarged glands. The hormone levels measured in the blood are the important thing. I would also be sure to get thyroid levels done when you see the endocrinologist. Do you have BP problems? Like low BP? That would fit with Addison's or low thyroid. You might also have an ANA checked, as some of your symptoms could be related to lupus or an autoimmune disorder.
    Ladybud, thank you for your reply. I was already aware that the only thing a CT scan will show on the adrenals is a tumor or enlarged glands. However, my GI doctor offered this test so I figured I might as well just have it done even though it makes more sense to get blood work done checking out my hormone levels first. Since my GI can't order the blood test, I have to wait until I see an endocrinologist to get the blood work done. Conclusively, I know that even if nothing shows up on the CT scan, I still need to get blood work done before I rule out any hormonal issues. I appreciate your reply though.

I don't really have low blood pressure. It is usually borderline high. However, when I stand up I get extremely lightheaded. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to pass out. This also happens if I exert any force (such as lifting or doing anything cardiovascular related). I get extreme shortness of breath and feel like I'm going to pass out. It is pretty scary.

As for the update today, I haven't heard back on my CT scan yet. I'm in the process of getting in touch with an endocrinologist to get the proper blood work done.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:07 AM   #6
    suffer_bad21
    (male)

suffer_bad21 HB User

I received the results of my CT scan today. Nothing abnormal showed up. I will be scheduling an appointment with an Endocrinologist to get my hormone levels checked.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Glad your CT was ok, as hormone issues are easier to treat than tumors! Hormone problems, like occur in Addison's can cause dehydration, which can cause the orthostatic symptoms you have-feeling faint on arising. If you are dehydrated, your BP drops more than 10 points on arising, which makes one feel faint. Hope your next check-up yields some answers for you.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
    suffer_bad21
    (male)

suffer_bad21 HB User

Thanks. I was relieved that I didn't have a tumor as well. I always feel faint upon rising. However, I have noticed it is a lot worse when I am dehydrated.

Closed Thread