It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• Could I have Addisons?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
    b90105
    (female)

b90105 HB User
    Question Could I have Addisons?

Initially I didn't think that what was wrong with me was addisons, but as the months progress I am getting more concerned.
    Just a bit of background: I am a 21yr old female, I had a nissen fundoplication in 2013 (stomach surgery) and have been healthy since.

Over 4 months (January 2015) ago I began to lose my appetite, by February I was hospitalized for a week. I was under the care of my surgeon (believing it was stomach related) who did an endoscopy and barium swallow (which showed nothing) and I was sent home being told that if I was not better in 3 weeks they would do more tests. Since then I have also had an abdominal ct which was clear. (Health care here sucks)

While I was in hospital I was very weak and had lost approx. 16 lbs (i've lost 21lbs in total now) but the saline drip helped. I realised upon discharge that in order to have any form of a life I would have to start force feeding myself and now I get most of calories from liquids (lucozade sports / soya milk / coke / soups etc) and small amounts of solids.

Symptoms:
    • Lack of appetite / early satiety.
    • I feel sick and stuffed if I eat too much (still only a tiny amount). However, my stomachsurgery means I cannot vomit.
    • I have noticed that I am incredibly thirsty, drinking a bare minimum of 3 litres of water everyday plus my high calories drinks.
    • I am exhausted / fatigued / lacking focus and energy and cannot concentrate. Anxious / Irritable
    • Just to add: I can't work any more, I have had to give up college because I can't concentrate and I don't drive for fear of crashing because I am so weak
    • The oddest symptoms that I have noticed, which is getting progressively worse, is a craving for salt. This is odd to me because I have never really liked salt (except of salt & vinegar crisps) and always refused to put it on food as I found I got my RDA without adding it unnecessarily.

However, looking back on before I got sick I realized I had began to use salt more often, but now, despite not getting hungry I will put some salt and vinegar on a plate and saturate them in additional salt, even resorting to licking the remaining salt of the plate.

Do these symptoms sound like addison's disease? I ask this because a cousin of mine was diagnosed with it a few years ago having been sick for approx. 2.5 years (He looked like a walking skeleton) and I know his most noticeable symptom was appetite loss and occasional vomiting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Could I have Addisons?

YES these symptoms do sound like Addison's. You really should get a serum cortisol level done ASAP (just a blood test) at 8:00 AM and 4 PM, if possible. Your salt craving and water craving, with appetite and weight loss, weakness, is CLASSIC. You may have electrolyte imbalances as a result. These should be measured, along with a serum glucose, when the cortisol level is checked. I would see your Dr. today or tomorrow or if you feel sick enough to go to the ER, that would be reasonable as well, so they could treat you after blood is drawn. You'll get a faster answer that way, otherwise may have to wait until next Monday for results. Please let us know what you find out.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
    Purple Frog
    (female)

Purple Frog HB User
    Re: Could I have Addisons?

I hope by now you have your answers. The tests required to determine your adrenal condition are not hard to do. Your symptoms sound like they could be related to adrenal insufficiency but they also sound like symptoms of diabetes, and hasimoto's disease. Adrenal Insufficiency and Addison's are basically the same however, Addison's is a genetic disease and AI is acquired somewhere along the way. Both are irreverib and serious. Both are controlled with medication, steroids, that you will need for the duration of your life. Please let us know what happens to you. Either way, I think that we may have a lot in common, although I am older than you are. The only good thing about that is that I have been through soooo much I might be able to offer you some tips. Best of luck to you.

Reply Reply