It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• Lab Results: Help!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-30-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
    eilee84
    (female)

eilee84 HB User
    Lab Results: Help!

Hello.

I visited an endo after the referral from my eye doctor. I've been experiencing lots of vision changes over the past 9 months, so he recommended seeing an endo for lab work. The endo first ran a glucose tolerance test. That showed very low results. Fasting level at 70 and then readings at 50, 40, and 60 throughout the course of the test. This prompted the endo to order at ACTH Stim test. The results are as follows:

ACTH plasma: 5.6 (7.2 - 63.3 range)

Cortisol: 8.8 baseline (2.3 - 19.4 range)
    25.9 second reading
    30.8 third reading

My endo says all of these results are completely normal and has diagnosed me with reactive hypoglycemia.

I'm considering seeking a second opinion for further testing and wondering if anyone thinks that is warranted. The more I read about adrenal insufficiency, the more I'm convinced I'm experiencing this. Here's some of the symptoms I've been experiencing over the past year:

Extreme Fatigue (like some days it takes effort just to walk across a room)
    Low Blood Sugar
    Low Blood Pressure
    Weight Loss
    Frequent Headaches
    Vision changes/times of blurriness throughout the day
    Patches of dark colored skin on my abdomen
    Acne
    Cold all the time
    Just an overall sickly appearance (big circles under my eyes, pale, etc. People I've known for years and family keep asking what's going on)

I just want to feel normal again. Can someone offer some insight on my lab results please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Lab Results: Help!

I agree you have reactive hypoglycemia, but your fasting glucose is on the low side of range (65-100), which can occur with Addison's. The cortisols indicate your adrenal glands are responding normally to ACTH stimulation (the second and third readings are more than double the first reading), however your ACTH is low. This comes from the pituitary, and without adequate ACTH, your adrenals are running at low speed. ACTH stimulates the adrenals to make cortisol. So I think you have a pituitary problem causing a secondary hypoadrenalism. This manifests in the exact same symptoms as Addison's (primary adrenal failure), which you have many symptoms. I would ask your endo to check a pituitary panel on blood and get an MRI of pituitary. Sometimes tiny benign tumors (adenomas) exist that overproduce one hormone and "crowd out" production of the other hormones. If he won't do this, I would see a different endo or try to get these tests done thru your GP. You are very symptomatic of hypoadrenalism, including the hypoglycemia. Please let us know how things go for you!

Reply Reply