It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• Addison's Disease? Adrenals? Please help ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
    Jem412
    (female)

Jem412 HB User
    Question Addison's Disease? Adrenals? Please help ...

I come from a history of medical issues stemming primarily from when I was 19-years-old. I'm 27 now. While I had a few issues when I was a kid, it did not get more serious until my adult years. I've had my gallbladder removed, appendix removed, and sinus surgery. I'm lactose intolerant, have GERD, adult on-set asthma, all year allergies, vitamin D deficient, cervical disc disease and minor stenosis with beginning stages of arthritis in my neck, and was just diagnosed with Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth today.

What's going now: My metabolism has always been very high, and I've struggled gaining weight my whole life. In the past year and a half, I've begun to have issues with dry skin and weird, random rashes. The dry skin is primarily isolated to my face, mouth, and eyes, but doctors claim it's "unrelated" and "normal" despite me claiming that I've never had problems like this my whole life. It's now spread to my lips, and in the past 2 weeks, my lips have begun to crack. I'm exhausted and tired all the time, even after consuming large amounts of caffeine. It got so bad that sometimes over the summer (during the day), I had to pull over on the side of the road because I almost passed out. I put salt on everything now and constantly crave salty/sweet things. I'm nauseous all the time, bloat severely, and throw up a lot (although, I'm not sure how much of that is related to the SIBO). I'm either severely cold or too hot. It goes back and forth. I'm weak, lost weight, lost my sex drive (which is effecting intimate moments in my relationship), sex is painful most of the time now, I didn't have my period for almost 7 months until last month (my OBGYN claims it's due to my birth control and switched me to a new one), a history of random joint pain and severe spasms, random nerve inflammation, and a history of low blood pressure. I'll also add that no matter how much I exercise or try to eat a lot of protein, I can't gain muscle mass. My arms and legs look almost like twigs.

Last month, I saw a rheumatologist who ruled out auto-immune diseases and is convinced that my body can't absorbed nutrients right. She thinks it's an issue with my GI system. Blood work that she did showed a low glucose level of 55. That was an hour after I ate an egg, turkey, and cheese sandwich and drank a sugary energy drink. Concerned, I followed up with my primary care, who ordered more bloodwork but is convinced I have a problem with my adrenal glands and insisted I cut back on the caffeine. She tested my thyroid levels because my mother has hashimotos. However, while my TSH was a little bit high, my antibodies were all normal. She's still convinced that my problem lies with my adrenal glands and wants me to follow up with an endocrinologist. What do you guys think? Could it be an endocrine issue? Does it sound like Addison's?

I know this is a lot, but if anyone who has problems with their endocrine glands could answer and offer advice/their opinion, I'd appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
    chemcg
    (female)

chemcg HB User
    Re: Addison's Disease? Addrenals? Please help ...

I'm no expert , but it sounds like Lupus to me.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
    Jem412
    (female)

Jem412 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chemcg View Post
    I'm no expert , but it sounds like Lupus to me.
    Really? I saw the rheumatologist last month who tested me for that, but my results showed no indication of inflammation in my body. At least at that time. But autoimmune diseases (including Lupus) run on my mother's side of the family which is why I got evaluated. Do you have Lupus? Why do you suspect it?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Some of your symptoms do sound like adrenal insufficiency: low blood sugar, low BP, salt craving, weight loss, nausea, vomiting. You need an serum cortisol level measured in the blood at 8 AM and 4 PM as a start, or a visit with an endocrinologist. Some symptoms such as fatigue, joint pain, low Vit D, rashes could be related to lupus, and it is easy enough to keep that on the radar, even though you were apparently tested for it. Was ANA negative? I would also keep your thyroid under surveillance, as autoimmune disorders run in "packs" and Addison's, Hashimoto's, and lupus can coexist, but be diagnosed at different times depending on what presents first. A skin biopsy of rash could help in diagnosis IF it includes immunoflourescent studies looking for a lupus band. Also, please note if your rash is sun-induced, as that is classic with lupus. I would pursue the adrenal testing, and revisit the rheum and thyroid areas if needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    Jem412 (02-08-2016)
    Old 02-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
    Jem412
    (female)

Jem412 HB User

Update: I have an appointment with the Endocrinologist next week. My Cortisol level is high, DHEA is borderline on the lower end of normal, and TSH is high. All of my thyroid antibodies are normal though. So, I'm not sure what's going on. To answer your question ladybud, I don't think my ANA was tested actually... Right now, they seem to be really focused on my endocrine system right now. But due to my WBC being low, I think they're looking at that, too. It's been a mess lately. I'm not sure what to think.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
    kel rae
    (female)

kel rae HB User
    Re: Addison's Disease? Adrenals? Please help ...

Hello, I am interested in all your case. Have you ever considered that they could stem from emotions from early childhood influences? Also, would you consider that changing these emotions could change the course of your conditions - either reversing them or stopping them completely? If so, then please reply - Kel Rae

Reply Reply