It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• Normal but still low ACTH? Help..

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
    Kclinton87
    (female)

Kclinton87 HB User
    Normal but still low ACTH? Help..

I had my ACTH serum test at 8am

ACTH 8.6 pg/ml reference is 7.2-63.3... dr says normal but it still seems very low in my opinion

Cortisol serum 10.9 ug/do reference is 1.70-22.70..it seems okay

My question is why does my endo not seem concerned over my ACTH morning serum being on the low end? Should I get second opinion.

My TSH is up to 9.55 mIU/mL ref .40-4.90 and I'm on .137 mcg synthroid in October my TSH was just 1.20 so it's really out of range lately but not sure why.

I have hypothyroidism, hashimotos, pcos, and I still don't feel well I know there's something more but starting to feel discouraged. Any suggestions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Normal but still low ACTH? Help..

Thyroid hormone levels and lab results can fluctuate quite a bit with Hashimoto's. It sounds like you could use a Synthroid dose increase. Does your doctor ever check your free T3 and free T4 levels? Those are a better indicator of hormone levels than TSH alone since TSH is a pituitary hormone.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
    Kclinton87
    (female)

Kclinton87 HB User

Yes my T4 was normal at 1.07 ng/dL reference of .65-1.90

More or less concerned that ACTH was on the lower end especially if it should be at its highest in the morning.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Hey there, if you're really concerned about this can you speak with your endo to repeat the tests to compare the levels alongside one another? Has your ACTH been low before? Still being within "normal" ranges I doubt they would investigate/worry about it unless it was out of bounds low unfortunately

Best of luck!
    K.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
    Kclinton87
    (female)

Kclinton87 HB User

I have but she doesn't seem to understand or listen so will be getting a second opinion...as I know something is off. I've never had ATCH tested before this was the first due to testing for Cushings. Due to extreme rapid weight gain--failing medical therapy for weight loss etc among other things. Being in the medical field myself I'm aware that what is normal for others is completely not normal for others--some individuals need to be higher or lower on the reference spectrum to feel better or more like they should. Just frustrating :-/

Old 12-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

I certainly hear you! Mine was up the creek years ago, actually out of bounds low and they still wouldn't do anything. I went into meltdown and ended up in a psychiatric facility being unable to deal with what was going on with me they blamed my mental health. Three years later I finally have a diagnosis of Addison's Disease that would never have gotten so bad if they had of treated me properly ages ago! The medical system is so flawed when it comes to blaming everything on mental health

Anyway I'm rambling, sorry! Definitely get another opinion and follow your gut. I knew all this time something was wrong with me and I finally found a doctor to listen and push and fight for me to get the correct testing done and a diagnosis that has quite possibly saved my life.

All the best to you!
    K.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonfly Wings For This Useful Post:
    Kclinton87 (12-12-2016)
    Old 03-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Hey there,

It has been a few months now so I thought I might check in and see how you're getting on? Where you able to have the tests re-done? It would be interesting to see how everything panned out for you! I hope you're doing much better and have the answers you were seeking!
    K.

Reply Reply