It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• Secondary adrenal fatigue?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
    Katiej4823
    (female)

Katiej4823 HB User
    Secondary adrenal fatigue?

My 20 year old daughter was recently on Prednisone for a many months. She weaned off but in my opinion did it way too fast. She has been under extreme stress for a number of years due to severe chronic pain from a misdiagnosed bone tumor in her leg, and the side effects of the prednisone and effects on her life all greatly increased that stress over the past few months. She became depressed and extremely anxious over the past several months, has almost no appetite, gets nauseous sometimes just looking at food, has lost a lot of weight, had skin rash but now gone away, and now her hair is coming out in clumps when she brushes it.

Also when she was on the prednisone over the past year she didn't take it consistently, would increase the dosage if the pain increased, then she would decrease it, then she would go off it for a week or two, and I'm concerned that wreaked havoc on her adrenal glands.
    I suspected adrenal insufficiency and went with her to her PCP, and she had an ACTH Plasma test. Results came back high at 71, 20 points above the high range of normal. I thought this verified that she had adrenal insufficiency, but her PCP says it's nothing. Is she right that we should be not concerned about this result?

Last edited by Katiej4823; 01-11-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
    mldean1206
    (female)

mldean1206 HB User
    Re: Secondary adrenal fatigue?

Katie,

I am new to this board (as I too seeking answers for adrenal insufficiency) and just read your post. Has your daughter seen a endocrinologist? What you are describing is definitely abnormal, especially for a 20 year old. She is doing great harm to herself by going on and off her prednisone so drastically. I also have Lupus SLE and have taken prednisone for one reason or another for over 20 years, doctors always warn not to stop the medication without weaning down because it will do damage to your adrenal glands!!!

I hope by now you have found help for your daughter. I know the frustration first hand and I don't wish this on either of my children.

Best Wishes,

Melissa

Old 06-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
    Re: Secondary adrenal fatigue?

Hello!

Did they check your daughter's cortisol levels? An ACTH Stim test at around 8am would be really beneficial in diagnosing adrenal insufficiency. I would certainly go back and request this to be done sooner rather than later given all the ailments she is experiencing.

I hope this helps!
    DW.

Reply Reply