It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• Cortisol (blood test) 300

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
    Nicevs
    (female)

Nicevs HB User
    Cortisol (blood test) 300

What does it mean if my cortisol blood test in the morning was 300??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
    Re: Cortisol (blood test) 300

Hi there Nicevs,

Do you have the blood ranges there with you? Each lab and each country also, have different guide ranges on which they go off to see if things are within "normal" limits. Did they mention anything else to you apart from the level sitting at 300?

Wishing you well!
    K.

Last edited by Dragonfly Wings; 03-28-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
    Nicevs
    (female)

Nicevs HB User

I'm going in Friday for the synacthen injection as I'm having symptoms of low blood sugar, shakes, sweats, then really cold, major fatigue, headaches, starving all the time! The doctor said over the phone that my cortisol was taken in May last year and was low but not worrying. However, I wasn't symptomatic at that point so it was never raised as an issue. Whatever is happening has come on in the last 6 weeks ;(

Can I ask how you felt? Thanks for your reply

Old 03-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Are they doing the test first thing in the morning on Friday? When did they last check your cortisol levels to get the level of 300? Have they checked your ACTH levels? It would be interesting to know their lab's ranges to have a better idea of what might be happening. Our cortisol levels raise and dip through out the day so depending on the time of your blood test it would determine the accuracy of your results

My symptoms were much the same as yours for many years. They kept blaming it on depression, or chronic fatigue until I found a doctor who believed in me and done all he could to get to the bottom of what was really going on with me as I got to the point where I just couldn't function. I would fall asleep mid conversation with my husband sitting up etc. Walked around looking like a zombie, often being told by my husband to please go to bed and get some rest. It really hasn't changed a great deal. I still need to nap a lot, I live a sub-life right now but keeping in mind I was only diagnosed late November so it's still quite early days for me.

The steroids have made me gain a lot of weight and facial hair which is terrible They've also made my depression quite bad (which I am told is common) so we are in the process of doubling my anti-depressants and also introducing a second one as well as starting me on anxiety medication.

It's a long hard road, and it's really good to be educated especially if the synacthen test comes back positive for AI. They should call you the next day if you fail the test *this is what they did for me, as you'll need to start steroid replacement ASAP*.

I hope this helps!
    K.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
    Nicevs
    (female)

Nicevs HB User

I haven't had anything else done at all yet. This has all come about from my dietician having a word with endocrine (diagnosed coeliac in august).

I'm seeing endo in April but this test first on Friday 😕

Reply Reply