It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• Question for people with Addisons on Florinef/Fludrocortisone

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-05-2018, 02:02 AM   #1
    MandyM95
    (female)

MandyM95 HB User
    Question for people with Addisons on Florinef/Fludrocortisone

Hi I do not have Addisons as my cortisol is normal and responds appropriately to the stim test. I do however have POTS and am close to passing out all the time, and have been shown to produce undetectable renin and aldosterone, so I cannot hold on to sodium or fluids. Basicially this makes me like someone with Addisons who is just on hydrocortisone replacement but no mineralocorticoid.

I have tried fludrocortisone a couple of times but didn't get any relief from my lightheadedness & had side effects of headaches and palpitations so stopped after a few days. I am thinking of trying it again though.

I would like to ask anyone taking it for Addisons (ie no production of aldosterone), how quickly did fludrocortisone start working for you? Also do you still have to take loads of salt or does it fully compensate for your body's lack of aldosterone so you can eat normally?

Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
    mulesmurf
    (male)

mulesmurf HB User
    Re: Question for people with Addisons on Florinef/Fludrocortisone

Hi MandyM95

The only times I have gotten palpitations was when I am super dehydrated, and one time when my Dr gave me a shot of Cortisone for inflammation. He may have given me too much, and/or someone thought he may have added some other stimulant.

My heart pounded for 3 days, and it was scary as I really could hardly sleep and didn't want to.

On the good side, I realized that "whatever was in that shot was what I needed) but it was at least 10 times too much! I was able to mow the lawn with plenty of energy and be impervious to the heat and sun, and I was able to adequately sweat!!!

The bad news is, when I went to my regular Dr. (This guy was an internist), I mentioned what happened, and the Dr. said the other Dr shouldn't have gave me that shot. So, of course I mentioned that to the first Dr. and he ABRUPTLY fired me as a patient!?!

Thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 08-18-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Reply Reply