It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• New to this. Adrenaline surges waking me up at 4am. Whatís up?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
    kathryn+2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
    New to this. Adrenaline surges waking me up at 4am. Whatís up?

Every morning around 4 Iím awakened out of sleep by an adrenaline surge that leaves me breathless and week. It sometimes goes on for a few hours but I think thatís because of high anxiety. From what Iíve read my adrenals are sending out adrenaline instead of cortisol. Is that right. ? Iím going to try and see a Dr but you know how long that takes. Anything I can do to help myself. Iím afraid to go to sleep now because I know whatís in store

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
    Mompa1
    (female)

Mompa1 HB User
    Re: New to this. Adrenaline surges waking me up at 4am. Whatís up?

If you donít mind me asking what is your age? I went through this a few years ago really bad and still do from time to time. For me itís a hormone imbalance. I am in perimenopause and have had all sorts of issues. I would wake up out of a dead sleep with my heart racing and feeling sick and then freezing and shaking. Then I was jacked up and couldnít go back to sleep. Not sure if this is hormonal for you. I do know stress played into mine as well.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
    kathryn+2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Im 66 and went through menopause 10 years ago. I have fibromyalgia and lupus and Im still working and Ive been under a lot of stress for the past 3 months . Im just wondering what I can do ? Ive been listening to anxiety meditation tapes before bed . I really think though that my adrenal system is in failure .

Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear kathryn,

There is more that easily can be done to help you sleep. The adrenals react to our own thoughts and choices. For the adrenals to settle down we have to get out of the mental flight or fight mode. We need to settle down in how we think. What is it that you are stressing about? There are things we cannot change, and while stressful, we can choose to stop fretting over those things. There are some healthy ways of coping and we can learn to do them.

I would not listen to stress tapes before bed. It can just make you more mindful of the stress. Try listening to them in the morning before you face your job. It physically helps to take B 100 vitamins daily; available at most drug stores (not B complex as that is a different formula). B vitamins feed the nerves. It takes a week or two to really feel the effects of the B 100.

For a quick effect, heat milk to scalding, then cool it a bit and drink a cup before going to bed (rinse the milk off your teeth). Tryptophan, which is in hot milk, taken before bed can have the benefit of inducing sleep. Tryptophan produces serotonin, which is a serenity boosting neurotransmitter that helps stop insomnia.

You need to do gentle stretches and to walk; probably more beneficially after work.
    You may benefit from some female hormone replacement; most of us do.

Another often overlooked part of stress reduction is to become grateful-minded; grateful for every positive in our lives, such as even having the job. It's way more stressful to not have income.

Nothing I shared gives instant results, but practicing does give results. The load gets taken off your mind and back.
    You can stop worrying about your adrenals. They are doing what they are supposed to do...telling you that you need to make some changes. You have to decide what changes to make.

Love,

Last edited by yayagirl; 09-05-2018 at 08:10 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to yayagirl:
    kathryn+2 (09-05-2018)
    Old 09-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
    kathryn+2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply . I am under a lot of stress right now as Im in a lupus / fibromyalgia flare and I'm in constant pain while still trying to carry on with my responsibilities . Also my Dr's suspect GERD . I will definitely get the B100. Ive been taking the B complex but will switch.I wont take narcotic pain meds .I also recently weaned off prednisone which can screw with your adrenals . Gratefully yours , Kathryn

Last edited by Administrator; 11-23-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Reply Reply