It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• Dhea - s

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
    Rossetti99
    (female)

Rossetti99 HB User
    Dhea - s

Hi I am a 49 year old female. Ive had a hysterectomy and am on HRT. I recently had my hormones tested due to hair loss. My results came back DHEAS 936 Estradiol 39 FSH 142.9, LH 73.1Testosterone 65ng/dl My Dr came back with the DHEA is a little high but it wasnt indicated to do any further testing. Ive done some research myself and Im concerned. I called my endocrinologist (for Hashimoto's) and his response (without seeing me) was
    I need to go over my results w the Dr who ordered tests? Should I be worried and pursue this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Dhea - s

Dear Rossetti,

You do need to ask your questions of the doctor that ordered the tests to learn why they were ordered, what the test results mean in your case, and to discuss whether you need any further tests or treatment.

Really those things should be done before looking for information elsewhere.
    We can't know what is going on with your case.

Is there a reason to distrust your doctor?

Old 03-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Sorry to hear you are dealing with hair loss. I have had the same problem since having a hysterectomy. I don't know much about DHEA-S test results. However, I do know of other women who have had hysterectomies who had elevated results. I have to wonder if it's our body's way of trying to make up for the loss of all our ovarian hormones (estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and the other androgens). I have had so much blood work done since my hysterectomy (had very few lab tests or even doctor visits prior) but DHEA-S was never one of them.

Have you gotten recent tests for your thyroid? Thyroid medication dosages oftentimes have to be tweaked after hysterectomy and/or ovary removal.

I wish you the best in getting answers. Hysterectomy is hard enough without also dealing with hair loss.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Rossetti,

There is a lot more to the hormone issue than Dhea. Hair loss may be a symptom of low thyroid. You probably need to make an appointment to discuss the hair loss. Many doctors don't follow up until we make an appointment. It seems that they should call, but I find that usually we have to be proactive on our own behalf.

If that doctor's office is not responsive, I would go in and ask for a copy of the test results and then find a responsive doctor. One way to do that is to ask pharmacists at drug stores for names of doctors that prescribe natural thyroid hormones. Those doctors usually are proactive and responsive.

I was told this myself when I was new in regard to thyroid and hormone issues. I always get great doctors now, and appropriate hormone levels and my hair grew back.

Let us know how you are doing.

Reply Reply