It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• I have it bad, why does this happen?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User
    I have it bad, why does this happen?

I used to be a very laid back relaxed person. Never had anxiety before. Not sure why my body/mind has changed so much.

To make a long story short back in 2003 while on vacation I started getting symptoms from feeling like food was stuck in throat ( it wasn't) shortly later escalating to loss of appetite, internal shaking, adrenaline rush feeling, tired, weak, could not sleep, chills and more. Had tons of tests, all basically negative except for small things. ( I was low in potassium from lack of eating) Life was good back then and I don't know what changed. I was 43 then, am 47 now. Get regular heavy periods.

Went to Cleveland Clinic a few months into this (everyone said it was anxiety, and ativan helped with the internal shaking) and they found at that time I had low BP on standing, and Heart rate went up ( orthostatic hypotension). Took a low dose beta blocker ( had been on this when this started, but got off thinking it was side effect), support hose, ate salt and in a short time, felt better and most symptoms went away.

Only used ativan very rarely. Only symptom that stayed is occasional internal shaking, but was not every day like before, so I learned to live with it and had an almost normal life until recently.

Had vertigo December of 2007. Was resolved at a balance/therapy center in a few weeks, but still anxious about sleeping on left side even though with PT, I am ok on that side, but I still get anxious about laying on it, so I don't.

Daughter is very sick, has barrett's esophagus, stomach aches, been out of school for weeks. Husbands job is very iffy and money is tight.

I am so stressed I am back to internal shakes, bathroom many times an hour, chills, loss of appetite, weak, tired, falling asleep at 8:00 at night etc and sleeping until about 4:30 where I wake up and get the adrenaline rush feeling.

I am using small amounts of ativan daily, don't want to be addicted. I am going to try buspar as I just got a prescription. I am concerned about the side effects of it and any other SSRI's I may have to try. Another thing to worry about!

I also maybe borderline diabetic or pre-diabetic, but the anxiety may be making everything worse.

So far only had and thryroid tested, so far sugar is questionable, but that would not be giving me all these symptoms ( some yes, but not all).

I keep wondering what has changed as I used to be the most laid back person in the world and would take everything in stride.

I want my old self back! can't stand feeling like this, horrible all the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User
    Re: I have it bad, why does this happen?

Hey Sillyme: I know you mentioned reg. periods, but you could still be in peri-menopause. I'm 46 and still have the same, but am definitely in peri. There are no real difinitive tests (ie. hormone levels) until you reach full meno, but one of the most common symptoms is anxiety or the return of anxiety if you've had it before. Also, jitters and tremors, flushing (not necessarily full-blown hot flashes) and lots of others.

It might be a good idea to talk to your OB/GYN. I'm sure he or she could help figure out if that is what's happening.

Hope this was helpful, cmpgirl

Old 03-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Thanks

Last time this happened, my OB/GYN was of no help at all. Actually said she never heard of these symptoms as peri.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
    midlifegal51
    (female)

midlifegal51 HB User

Dear Sillyme: Boy can I relate. I didn't have the throat problem but pretty well everything else that you mentioned: loss of appetite, adrenaline rush, hot/cold/hot/cold and the insomnia. But by far the worst was the anxiety and the depression, two things I had never had in my entire life! When these emotions came upon me I would do the checklist: good husband, house paid for, good job etc. But nothing help, it was just free-floating anxiety and depression with no root cause. Then I took it upon myself to read everything I could on hormones and peri and full blown menopause and a light went off in my head. I also read Gail Sheehy's amazing book - The Silent Passage. All your symptoms are common as are the internal shakes. I referenced them on the net and they're called menopausal tremors. I personally chose to go on HRT and it seems to be working for me, it's a personal choice, but for me it's about quality fo life, not quantity. Take the Ativan if you need it but look into the bio-identical hormones. I'm on Estrace and micronized progesterone and they seem to have done the trick. And AVOID alcohol and caffeine big time. Alcohol is a depressent on the brain and caffeine is a stimulant, you don't want either to affect the already unbalanced hormones in your system. One last suggestion, for the insomnia I take a homeopathic pill called Passiflora, it seems to work well for me. Stay strong and know in your heart and head that, as our mother's would so wisely say, this too will pass. Good luck. Midlifegal51

Old 03-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Thanks midlifegal51

I did have my hormones checked, and they are all normal levels. One was 4.4 and the other 6.3 or close to those as I don't have the sheet here. My mom did not complete menopause until near 60. I don't smoke, and can't remember the last time I had a drink, its been years.

we have stroke, heart attack and high BP in our family on both sides, so I am not sure about any hormonal replacements, but might look into it.

My shakes are practically constant! I do fall asleep early, but then wake up early as well. I used to sleep from maybe 10 or 11 to 7, now its 8 to 4:30. I can't stay awake.

What about loss of appetite? Do you think that might be peri or anxiety? I also have tingling/numbness, but only in right hand at times.

I am going to look up menopausal tremors right now.

Thanks so much

Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
    rosie2u
    (female)

rosie2u HB User

im reading your posts I have anxiety and panick attacks that were pretty well under control until recently, 3 mons ago went to my gyn she said im in peri meno i am 52 . My periods very few and scanty due to endometial ablation in 2005 not complaining there .But its hard to tell if the ablation is causing the scanty periods or hormones .But when i questioned my gyn i asked if its possible that my newly resurface anxiety attacks are from peri meno she said no there is no proven fact that that happens .. But i think she is wrong .. Any how i insisted her do hormone testing this week waiting for results she said it was a waste of time but i wanted it done anyway ..will let you know what happens as my anxiety is through the roof . I get palpitations,loss of apetite,and hot flashes, night sweats .. darn hormones!!

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-14-2008 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Removed text message chat room language. Please read the posting rules.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
    marnb77
    (female)

marnb77 HB User

i am going through this right now too.. I can completely sympathize with you sillyme.. My anxiety starts when I don't feel good. From there I take it to a whole new level of thinking i'm dying and then I start to shake, lose my appetite, you name it, i have it. I'm constantly taking my temperature because i feel like i have a fever because i have the chills. I have seen my dr twice last week who old me i have a virus and that is that. However, I don't believe him and am convinced otherwise. It is a terrible feeling to have especially when I know how much i love eating and the thought of food makes me want to throw up. The only thing that is saving my butt from going really insane, is seroquel. It really helps me to sleep at night and once it starts working you feel completely relaxed.. like the anxiety is gone. I take about 40 mgs right now and it helps me stay asleep with no adrenaline and fast heartbeat in the morning. Sometimes, i get so relaxed that i can actually eat food. Might be in the middle of the night, but i guess it is better than nothing. I also take a klonopin in the am when i wake up as well. I really do know where you are coming from as i am suffering thru it now. Take care, and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Wow, I wish more Dr's new about this. Seems like they are in denial.

I also may have pre-diabetes or diabetes, went for a 2 hour test today. Brought a finger glucose tester and it came out high.

This will send my anxiety thru thru the roof.

Every time I feel a little better, not so shakey, something else comes along.

I used to be able to handle things well, not anymore. I also had an appetite, not so much now.

So glad to hear from others, not that I wish this on others, but its nice not being alone

Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
    Pri Lily
    Inactive
    (female)

Pri Lily HB User

Sillyme...

Try not to be frightened...it will make everything worse.

Internal shakes are a proven symptom of menopause.

I have more or less overcome my anxiety and depression, but it's hard to believe it isn't coming back.

The way I think of it is.....my hormones are being thrown up in the air, and who knows where they're going to land. Anxiety, shakes, depression, anger, headaches.....all possible at this point. I try very hard to go with the flow, and not get worried about anything.

Good luck with the diabetes testing....they can be known to come out high too. I had a friend with diabetes, who hated doing her sugar count....so I would do it with her. My sugar was usually around 5 but a couple of times it was 10 or 11. My Doctor said not to worry about it, if that happened occasionally.

Lil

Old 04-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

I had most of these symptoms in 2003/2004, but after a few months they went away. At that time I thought it was because Cleveland Clinic said I had orthostatic hypotension, ( low bp on standing, hr goes up) gave me support knee hi's to wear, a small amunt of beta blocker and told me to drink lots and eat lots of salt. A short time later I started getting my appetite back and felt so much better. Could actually function and stay up past 8:00. I was not normal, but much improved, still had shaking internally occasionally, but that was it. Weeks or months could go by without me using any ativan.

Now it has all come back. I can't be 100% sure its all peri as I had developed vertigo for a short time, and that along with my daughters illness may have thrown me into anxiety, but last time in 2003 I had no reason or explanation for it, nor any idea what it was from.

I just want to be normal, mostly for my kids and hubby, and for me to.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
    catinaann
    (female)

catinaann HB User

I would like to know if you were ever checked for MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse)? The symptoms you described, adrenaline rushes, sweats, shaking, panic attacks, etc. ,are all symptoms I have suffered with for 19 years. It started when I was 11 years old. I was diagnosed at age 14 with MVP. The symptoms you described are symptoms of that. My doctor also said to increase my salt intake and drink more water and also prescribed me support stockings. I was prescribed a low dose of Xanax for the panic attacks which worked great and took most of my MVP symptoms away, (heart palpitations etc.). Today my doctor prescribed Buspar, I hope it works like the Xanax did.

I was just wondering if you have ever been checked for MVP. Sometimes the doctor will be able to hear it when he listens to your heart, it makes a clicking sound. Sometimes I have to lay on my left side for the doctor to be able to hear it. They did an ultra sound on my heart when I was 14 and discovered it. My symptoms seem to be getting worse with age but the meds seem to help.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:22 AM   #12
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User

Hi. I have had 2 echos, one about 2 months ago, and one said I was normal, one said I have mild mitral valve regurgitation ( not prolapse). I am on low dose beta blocker as well (lopressor). I just went to a new cardio 2 months ago for another opinion. He was horrible. I will not go back. However the echo done by a tech and the halter monitor showed nothing major in my case.

I am trying to make a neurologist appt for further testing just in case. I called a new group as we only have one so so one in our town. They want a call from my GP, so I will have to contact them.

I tried small amounts of buspar. Did not do much for me, however I am afraid of side effects, so I don't think I gave it a full chance. I am a big chicken ( never was that way before this all started).

Last edited by Sillyme03; 08-28-2008 at 04:22 AM.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Hi Sillyme - I can so relate to what you're going through!! I have all those symptoms and more! I am 45, tall and slender, don't smoke (never have) don't drink (a little in college). this all started for me back in 1991 when I was 27 years old, after the birth of my second child. After a series of tests, they put me on Nortriptyline and Xanax which seemed to help. However, I was still plagued by various symptoms through the years and I guess wasn't overly concerned about them - maybe the meds helped me not worry so much? in 2000 started having other symptoms like tinglings, dizziness - so they did a MRI and evoked potentials to rule out MS - the evoked potentials (eye test) came out normal, however, the brain MRI was abnormal, however they did in fact rule out MS and said the abnormal MRI could have been an infection from a childhood illness - like encephalitis??? I asked my parents and to their knowledge, I never had any childhood sicknessess - other than mumps. Early last year, I took myself off the meds and it seems my symptoms have returned with a vengence. 2 weeks ago, I felt so faint that I stopped at a fire station to have my BP checked - which was a little elevated (nerves I'm sure because typically I run very low BP) so they sent me to the ER where I was sent to the chest pain observation unit for the night - I had gone to a cardiologist previously for palpitations and they said I have PACs - however, they said that they are not serious and most people have them - just some - like me - are very aware of them. Anyway, VERY long story short - they did a brain scan, chest x-ray, D-Dimer blood tests to rule out clots, cario enzyme labs along with all the other regular labs which came out normal. I told the doctor that I don't feel normal or well -I feel that some cancer or something is eating away at my insides - my appetite is gone - I used to love to cook and eat, now food upsets my stomach. She assured me that if I had cancer, SOMETHING would show up on the labs. I just don't understand how being stressed (which I don't feel I am - I have a wonderful husband, great low-stress job, 3 teenagers who are very independent and good kids - in other words - typical teenagers, but don't cause problems) can make a person feel physically sick!! I used to go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week for the cardio-kickboxing class - now I hardly do anything when I get home from work - I've lost interest in everything because of not feeling well. The doctor prescribed Lexapro for me - like you - I am a chicken about taking anything or starting anything new - for fear of what side-effects it could cause. It's stupid, I know, but how I am unfortunately. You are not alone in how you feel - believe me! Oh, in all that testing, I also had my hormones checked which came out normal. I am hypothyroid, however, every TSH is normal - I take synthroid for that and it's been controlled for years. So that's my story. I guess I will try the Lexapro and see if it helps - if not, my husband said we'll go for more testing, however, I feel like everyone - family and friends think I'm crazy and that it's just all in my head. Hang in there. I'll say a prayer for you, I do find that doing nighly devotions does help calm me.

Last edited by Natty44; 08-28-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
    cat3883
    (female)

cat3883 HB User

Buspar by far works better for me than Xanax or Klonapin. With Buspar you need to take it as you doctor prescribes. It might take 2 weeks for it to start working. I get no side effects from it. With the others I would get drowsy . At least take it for a few weeks. I is a miracle drug for me. Good luck

Old 08-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User

Hey Sillyme... I am going through this right now. I know everyone thinks you MUST have what they have... Through this thread alone, you have probably diagnosed yourself and googled every one of these diseases and their symtoms to see if it matches yours....

HOWEVER, I also know you said you have been checked for everything. Did you have your ferritin level checked? THis is to show iron deficiency. You say you have heavy periods and they can steal the iron right out of you. You can have normal hemoglobin but still be iron deficient.

From low ferritin, you can get all of the symptoms you say. I get that adrenaline rush, lack of sleeping, feeling foggy and tired, and shaking that no one can see, but you can feel it. I think this is starting to lessen with iron therapy.

The docs kept saying I have anxiety, but I dont feel anxious...just physically anxlious resltess, and wanting to crawl out of my body.

I hope you can get tested for iron deficiency (as well as b12) and you can be on your road to recovery.

Closed Thread