It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• Adrenal glands not working well. Test or care recs?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
    sharper22
    (female)

sharper22 HB User
    Adrenal glands not working well. Test or care recs?

Hi -
    I have been struggling with a laundry list of issues for a few years, but the past year has been very difficult and this summer pretty miserable. I have seen 3 docs in the past year, the first told me to take a daily stimulant, the second to quit my part time substitute teaching if I was too tired, the third is trying to help but is at a bit of a loss.
    Symptoms include - body temp usually 97.2-97.5, can't handle cold weather or hot weather, usually very cold/goosebumps, very tired all of the time even with 8+ hours of sleep and 25 min nap 1x/day, never feel like I have any energy even right after waking, brain fog, etc. etc.
    Tests at dr. visits in 2005, 11/11, 3/12, and 6/12
    tsh 2.02 mu/l, 3.22, 2.21, 2.67
    free t4 1.3 ng/dl in 05, .95 in 06/12
    cortisol 10.9 ng/dl in 03/12, 7.8 in 06/12 (both in am, non fasting. retesting this week with fasting)

Current doc said in May (1st visit) that she feels my thyroid numbers are working their way out of range and my cortisol is so bad due to the adrenal glands not working very well. She said she thought it may be due to poor immune system function / long term viral issue and put me on an immune boosting regimen, thinking that if the immune system got better that the adrenal function would increase. Not getting better, so she tested for a few of the big auto immune disease markers. All negative. 2 weeks ago she tested for some of the chronic virus' (lyme, etc) - all negative.

Asked her if she thought maybe Addisons Disease - she said that my cortisol had to be below 4 for that to be a consideration. She said she is at a bit of a loss as to what to look for next. She has held off giving supplements for the adrenal support because she was using the adrenal symptoms as a marker if I was improving/ if we had figured out the WHY of their insufficiency.

Any suggestions on what I should ask her about or should do?

Have read Adrenal Fatigue by Wilson and Tired & Wired by Pick.
    Currently taking:
    fish oil 4 pills/ day
    D 10,000 units a day
    B100s 4 pills/day
    Advanced Abrotrose 3 pills/day
    Alka base 2 pills/day
    Gluta Clear 2 pills/day
    plus the multi vitamin, glucosamine, turmeric & bromelain that I was already taking (was already also taking fish oil & B vits but in smaller doses).

Thank you for any suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
    sharper22
    (female)

sharper22 HB User
    Re: Adrenal glands not working well. Test or care recommendations?

Also taking 1200 of magnesium glycinate/day.

Thought I would edit to add the more complete lab info - this is from a post on the thyroid board in April.

Below is my list of what I have done (tried to edit for relevant content) in the past 7 years, most of it in the past 6 months. Found one endo that would review my tests if I mailed them(no one will make an appointment bec. I don't have an endo diagnosis). I sent in every blood test from the past 7 years. His appointment setter called today and said that since I am in range on pretty much everything, he doesn't think it is an endo issue. I don't know what it is, but I also don't know where to go from here. 4 diff pcp's in 7 years, plus the cardio and apnea tests. I feel worse from year to year, but don't think that being 41 now is the cause. Poor husband had the misfortune of calling me right after I spoke with the endo office and had to listen to me cry. Feeling like a hypochondriac and hopeless.
    Do I keep trying at this point? If yes, any recommendations on what to try, which type of dr. to try to talk with?
    Thanks,
    Suzanne

01/05 - saw pcp for fatigue and bec. my gyn thought my thyroid felt funny. PCP had a sonogram done and everything came back fine.
    TSH 2.02 (.4-5.5), Thyroid peroxidase AB <2 (<2) Free T4 1.3 (.8-1.8)
    No ideas for fatigue.

06/09 - Went to a diff pcp (old one moved) for physical, fatigue, panic attacks and insomnia periods starting around 1 or 2 am usually together and w/irritable bowel, followed the next day with abdominal pain/gas that makes it difficult to function. Asked for help w/fatigue and how to manage the day after pains.
    TSH 2.448 (.45-4.5) no other thyroid tests, only # out of range was LDL 114 (0-99) No ideas for fatigue. Rec. abdominal ultrasound for the pain. Did not do u/s.

11/11 - Went for fatigue & laundry list of subjective symptoms incl. falling asleep if I sit down for 30 min, intolerance to heat and cold, cold hands and feet always, gained 15 lbs in past 4 years (not including hanging onto 10 lbs from the kids) all around belly regardless of healthy diet and exercise, out of breath and racing heart even from walking upstairs now (vs. playing 2+ hours of singles tennis 2 years ago, decreased to being able to play 90 min of doubles last year), etc. PCP said her first thoughts are anemia, sleep apnea or chronic fatigue.
    TSH 3rd gen. 3.22 (.4-4.5)
    Again only # out of range was LDL 113 (0-99)
    iron 65 (40-175)
    Did sleep apnea test - never fell below 90%
    12/11 - Requested Free T3, Free T4, antibody tests
    T-3 uptake 32% (22-35%)
    T4 total 6.1 (4.5-12.0)
    TSH 2.21 (.4-4.5)
    Free Thyroxine index 1.95 (1.4-3.8)
    Doctor wanted me on generic Welbutrin to use as a stimulant. Did not take after reading the side effects on the package.

3/12 - Went to a different PCP who had reviews online for being very thorough. She said it sounded like s.th. was off. Ran metabolic panel, non-fasting cortisol blood test, and
    Free T4 .95 (.59-2.19)
    Free T3 3.48 (2.77-5.27)
    TSH 2.67 (.465-4.68)
    Thyroglobulin Antibody <20 IU/ml range <116 IU/ml
    Cortisol am 10.9 ug/dl range 4.5-22.7 ug/dl
    Free T4 .95 mg/dl range .59-2.19
    TSH 2.67 uIU/ml range .465-4.680 uIU/ml (this was 3.22 in November's blood test)
    T3 Free 3.48 pg/ml range 2.77-5.27

Metabolic panel:
    sodium 140 mEq/L (range 134-144)
    potassium 4.1 mEq/L (3.5-5.2)
    chloride 104 mEq/L (97-110)
    carbon dioxide 25 mEq/l (22-31)
    glucose 73 mg/dl (70-100)
    urea nitrogen 11 mg/dl (7-23)
    creatinine 1.0 mg/dl (.6-1.0)
    glomerular filtration rate >60 units: ml/min/1.73 m2(no ref range given)
    calcium 9.3 mg/dl (8.5-10.4)

CBC
    wbc count 6.12 k/mm3 (3.83-9.22)
    rbc count 4.48 m/mm3 (4.18-5.33)
    hemoglobin 14.2 gm/dl (12.6-16.3)
    hematocrit 42.9% (38.4-47.7)
    mean cell vol 95.7 um3 (78.6-96.4)
    mean cell hemoglobin 31.7 pg (27.9-34.1)
    mean cell hemoglobin concentrate 33.2 gm/dl (32.4-36.7)
    red cell distribution width 13.1% (11.5-15.2)
    platelet count 213 k/mm3 (174-412)
    mean platelet volume 8.5 um3 (6.3-9.9)
    lymph-auto,% 18.6% (16.9-49.3)
    monocyte-auto,% 9.4% (3.1-8.8)
    neutro-auto,% 67.2% (39.3-74.2)
    eosinophil-auto,% 3.7% (.6-7.6)
    baso-auto,% 1.2% (.3-1.7)
    lymph-auto,abs 1.13 k/mm3 (1.03-2.93)
    mono-auto,abs .57 k/mm3 (.17-.55)
    neutro-auto, abs 4.11 k/mm3 (1.68-6.16)
    eosinophil-auto,abs .23 k/mm3 (.03-.4)
    basophil-auto,abs .08 k/mm3 (.02-.1)
    Sent me for a cardiac echo - came back normal.
    Had my every 5 yr. colonoscopy - normal.

labs from June:
    ferritin, serum 41 ng/ml (10-232
    esr, westergren 4 (0-20)
    IFA screen negative
    C reactive protein .3 (<.8)
    cortisol, a m 7.8 (4-22)

labs from August:
    I don't have a printout yet from doc., but she said neg. for Lyme and Epstein-Barr.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
    hailstones
    (female)

hailstones HB User
    Re: Adrenal glands not working well. Test or care recs?

Hello , i paid privately to get my adrenal leaves test as my dentist thought i had a problem , after being tested i was showing very low numbers for adrenal working between 11-3 , i was then adversed to take adrenal extra supplement and to buy the book adrenal fatigue. its almost like i had wrote that book , every sign and symptom lol , i now take one tablet a day which i buy from nutri and i haven't looked back ,
    hope this helps

Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
    raerae1
    (female)

raerae1 HB User
    Re: Adrenal glands not working well. Test or care recs?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailstones View Post
    Hello , i paid privately to get my adrenal leaves test as my dentist thought i had a problem , after being tested i was showing very low numbers for adrenal working between 11-3 , i was then adversed to take adrenal extra supplement and to buy the book adrenal fatigue. its almost like i had wrote that book , every sign and symptom lol , i now take one tablet a day which i buy from nutri and i haven't looked back ,
    hope this helps
    Hi I also have been having trouble with a lot of what you have been saying and the Doctors started to say it was all in my head, I have been seeing another Doctor in Australia that is a Doctor/Natrapath and he has tested me for so many things, I to like hailstones have paid for private testing for my adrenal glands which was drooling into 7 small vials and sent them off for testing, they came back very low, I am now taking tablets called Adrenal Rebuilder, super Adrenal Stress Formula, Adrenal C Formula and a liquid Herbal Adrenal Support Formula by Doctor Wilson's and reading a book called Adrenal Fatigue from James L. Wilson only been on it for 2 weeks but I am sleeping a bit better. Hope this helps

Reply Reply