HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Adrenal Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/adrenal-disorders/)
-   -   Crazy Cortisol Levels -- What???? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/adrenal-disorders/957767-crazy-cortisol-levels-what.html)

conviction2011 07-27-2013 10:13 AM

Crazy Cortisol Levels -- What????

Hi all,

I had a cortisol test done about 6 months ago. It showed that my cortisol levels are low in the morning (when I'm most awake/active). Normal around noon when I am ready for a nap. And high at night (when I'm most tired/fatigued).

This seems totally backwards to me. LOL. The functional medicine doctor I was seeing didn't have much of an explanation. Nor did she suggest a supplement to regulate my adrenal glands.

Does anyone have any theories as to what this might mean? What supplements or medications are normally given to regulate adrenal function? I was thinking of trying Ashwaghanda. However, I am hesitant to try things b/c I'm on anti-anxiety and depression meds. And most MDs don't know much about supplements.

Advice? Thoughts? Stories? :)

Thanks,
Connie

Laura B 07-28-2013 08:06 AM

Re: Crazy Cortisol Levels-- What????

Just curious, did you have 3 blood test the same day?

conviction2011 07-28-2013 08:13 AM

Hi Laura,

Thank you for asking. Actually, I did a saliva test. I put a piece of cotton (looked like a tampon. LOL) under my tongue for 15 minutes at 4 different times/day. Morning, noon, evening and around midnight. I returned the 4 "samples" to my doctor and received the results within a few days of that.

I don't really know the efficacy of doing a saliva test versus a blood test. In some cases, I've heard they can be more accurate. Of course, given that it was self-administered, there is a greater chance for error, I would imaigne. However, I clearly believe something was going on. I just wish I knew what it was.

Thanks,
Connie

conviction2011 07-28-2013 08:38 AM

Hi Laura,

Thank you for asking. Actually, I did a saliva test. I put a piece of cotton (looked like a tampon. LOL) under my tongue for 15 minutes at 4 different times/day. Morning, noon, evening and around midnight. I returned the 4 "samples" to my doctor and received the results within a few days of that.

I don't really know the efficacy of doing a saliva test versus a blood test. In some cases, I've heard they can be more accurate. Of course, given that it was self-administered, there is a greater chance for error, I would imaigne. However, I clearly believe something was going on. I just wish I knew what it was.

Thanks,
Connie

Genuine1 01-16-2015 11:08 AM

Hey

The doctor told me that my blood cortisol was high and he wanted to start me on a supplement to lower it. The one he suggested I couldnt take because of religious dietary restrictions so he suggested that I find a supplement containing licorice root. Through some research and going to my local natural store I was able to find a supplement called Ortho Adapt and its the vegan version. It also has Ashwaghanda in it. I can tell you what symptoms reduced if you are interested.