It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Adrenal Disorders Message Board

• High Aldosterone + low blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
    zmichelkee
    (female)

zmichelkee HB User
    Question High Aldosterone + low blood pressure

Hello, This is my first time posting. I was diagnosed with low aldosterone (>1) about 3 yrs ago. I have low bp (90s-low 100s) I was taking Florinef & midodrine 2xday because I was passing out.

I had life-threatening complications after my large intestine was surgically removed and required a total of 3 major surgeries, 1 week apart (6/21, 6/28, 7/4). It put a huge strain on my system. In preparation for my 4th surgery (to reverse my ileostomy), my endo ordered blood work & the results were very confusing to both of us: High aldosterone, normal potassium and continued low blood pressure. We thought it might be a lab error, so we did the blood work again.

The day after surgery, I had an adrenal dump: pre-syncope episode with the emotional fallout. 3 days later, my potassium dumped and the endo on staff took me off of the Florinef to give the potassium a chance to stabilize.

Does any one have any idea what would cause the changes in my aldosterone? I had another round of blood work done today (electorlytes, Vitamin B12, kindey renin) & my endo is still confused about what this could mean if the aldosterone still comes back high. I am pretty tired most of the time & have a hard time falling asleep at night. Any insight you could provide is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: High Aldosterone + low blood pressure

I think I would want to know what your serum cortisol is doing with the changes in aldosterone. You may have Addison's that is depleting your cortisol, making you tired, and the aldosterone may be raised trying to compensate for the low BP associated with low cortisol. Your electrolytes may be helpful, but an 8 AM and 4 PM serum cortisol level would help, and if borderline, an ACTH stimulation test would help clarify your adrenal status. Addison's typically causes low BP, low blood sugar, lack of appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, severe fatigue, and sometimes pigmentation in the skin, either a tanned look or dark lines in the creases of joints and around the areola of breasts.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
    zmichelkee
    (female)

zmichelkee HB User
    Re: High Aldosterone + low blood pressure

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    I think I would want to know what your serum cortisol is doing with the changes in aldosterone. You may have Addison's that is depleting your cortisol, making you tired, and the aldosterone may be raised trying to compensate for the low BP associated with low cortisol. Your electrolytes may be helpful, but an 8 AM and 4 PM serum cortisol level would help, and if borderline, an ACTH stimulation test would help clarify your adrenal status. Addison's typically causes low BP, low blood sugar, lack of appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, severe fatigue, and sometimes pigmentation in the skin, either a tanned look or dark lines in the creases of joints and around the areola of breasts.
    Thank you, Ladybud. I do have increased pigmentation in the lines of my hands. I will be requesting the suggested tests.

Reply Reply

Tags
    high aldosterone, low blood, low potassium