It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board

Getting old as an opportunity

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2015, 01:37 AM   #1
PunaBill
(male)

PunaBill HB User
Cool Getting old as an opportunity

[B]

Aloha from Hawai`i,

If you live in an unpleasant location that you don't like and are too old to keep doing that with no good reason, try Hawai`i. If you are a friendly person who
enjoys beautiful weather and scenery and -- for the most part -- really nice people to have a friends, then move to a better place. Yes, Hawai`i is one "better place" but it is not for everyone. Some folks get nervous on islands.

I don't and I've been here for 40 years which is exactly half as long as my age, 80.

One of the few problems that exist here is the lack of really fine medical care on SOME of the islands. Odd. But that is one reason I've signed up on this HealthBoards system, to ask questions about getting old.

You can join in right now by telling me your favorite secret for being happy and well. Start now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
Machaon
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Getting old as an opportunity

Hi Bill!

Greetings from sunny, beautiful South Florida. Not exactly an island, but a peninsular.

I am 71 and, although I greatly appreciate making it this long, I find aging a huge pain in the ***! Can't eat like I used to. Don't have the strength or energy as I used to. New health problems pop up.

On the other hand, being 71 and I am feeling pretty good, and doing quite well, after almost 30 years of heart failure, permanent atrial fibrillation, asthma, insulin resistance, and autoimmune problems. So... what's not to like!?

My favorite secret for being happy and well? I eat a very healthy, low calorie, small meal diet; I power walk an hour a day; I lift weights and use a stationary bike 90 minutes per day; I take the most effective, very few medications; and, above all else, I avoid all of the many indoor toxins that are so prevalent in our lives.

Have a nice day in Hawaii!
⇒ In 2002 BP was 151/96; readings:1,423
⇒ In 2008-2017 BP was 119/69; readings:7,514

Last edited by Machaon; 10-07-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Aloha from central Florida!

The really hot weather is nearly over; mornings are cool and nice for walking. I go out for a walk most mornings before the sun comes up. I find it very relaxing, enjoyable and health-promoting.

My location is very pleasant so I would never think of moving. There are lots of stimulating mental and physical recreation activities to choose from. Although there's no beach nearby there are lots of swimming pools.

Let's see, what secrets can I tell you about getting old? Being that you are older than I am I shouldn't be doing this, but here I go anyway:

Like, Machaon, who posted before me, I also eat a very healthy low calorie diet. I walk for exercise and work out with weights. I consistently keep my BMI down between 18 to 18.5. So far I'm doing very well and don't need to take any medication. Recent blood work was quite extensive and all the results were within range. It was 1+1/2 pages long and my doctor wrote "A+" at the top of page 1. (My doctor has a good sense of humor.)

The key, I believe, is to be conscientious in everything you do, like avoiding stress and getting enough sleep etc. But I tend to put diet first in importance. Many years ago I read about the CRON diet and was very impressed. CRON stands for Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition. I think it pretty much speaks for itself but you can research it if you're interested.

Above all, I avoid high calorie processed foods.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-07-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
PunaBill
(male)

PunaBill HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Hi Bill!

Greetings from sunny, beautiful South Florida. Not exactly an island, but a peninsular.

I am 71 and, although I greatly appreciate making it this long, I find aging a huge pain in the ***! Can't eat like I used to. Don't have the strength or energy as I used to. New health problems pop up.

On the other hand, being 71 and I am feeling pretty good, and doing quite well, after almost 30 years of heart failure, permanent atrial fibrillation, asthma, insulin resistance, and autoimmune problems. So... what's not to like!?

My favorite secret for being happy and well? I eat a very healthy, low calorie, small meal diet; I power walk an hour a day; I lift weights and use a stationary bike 90 minutes per day; I take the most effective, very few medications; and, above all else, I avoid all of the many indoor toxins that are so prevalent in our lives.

Have a nice day in Hawaii!

Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
PunaBill
(male)

PunaBill HB User

Machaon,

Thank you for the note! I have lived happily in Florida with many relatives there. Grandfather had large orange groves and Eger Bait factory in Bartow area. And my wife's sister is in Miami area for many decades.

Very gladdened to read that you are living a healthy life and, it seems, a happy time. Keep in touch!

PunaBill

Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
Loux
(male)

Loux HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunaBill View Post
[B]

Aloha from Hawai`i,

If you live in an unpleasant location that you don't like and are too old to keep doing that with no good reason, try Hawai`i. If you are a friendly person who
enjoys beautiful weather and scenery and -- for the most part -- really nice people to have a friends, then move to a better place. Yes, Hawai`i is one "better place" but it is not for everyone. Some folks get nervous on islands.

I don't and I've been here for 40 years which is exactly half as long as my age, 80.

One of the few problems that exist here is the lack of really fine medical care on SOME of the islands. Odd. But that is one reason I've signed up on this HealthBoards system, to ask questions about getting old.

You can join in right now by telling me your favorite secret for being happy and well. Start now.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
Loux
(male)

Loux HB User

Yes...live in the present as the primary point of existence...it does wonders for your health. Read Eckhart Tolle books for some education on the subject.

Reply Reply