It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board

Thinning of skin

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
bluechamomile
(female)

bluechamomile HB User
Question Thinning of skin

Hi everyone~

I am only 61 and in the last several years my skin has gotten noticeably thinner, especially on my hands and face. Under certain lighting my hands look ghastly with the veins prominent. I see a vein on my forehead. I do understand that having a total hysterectomy 10 years ago and the lack of estrogen (haven't taken hormone replacement) will cause the skin to thin. BUT this is extreme thinning. So I'm wondering about the early sun exposure I had, many severe sunburns at age 4-8. Do you think the UV sun damaged my skin?? I mean the deeper layers and my skin is now showing that damage. I'm starting to feel self-conscious about going out in public.

What are your thoughts on this??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Thinning of skin

Hi. Any previous sun exposure will result in discolorations and damaged skin, but it doesnt thin your skin. Are you sure that your skin is thinning, and its not just discolored, making your veins more prominent?

You can have laser surgery to help remove the discolorations, they also do laser zapping to minimize certain types of veins. You would need to see a medical laser doctor, usually found in laser spas. Start with going to the dermatologist to make sure that this isnt any kind of serious sun damage which needs to be removed, and see what they have to say. Using a really good mositurizer with sun screen would be a good idea moving forward.

Good luck!

Last edited by MSNik; 05-14-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Thinning of skin

I also had a hysterectomy 10 years ago (at age 49) and my skin thinned DRAMATICALLY in a matter of months. The veins on my hands and feet became prominent and I also noticed some on my forehead and chin. When I pulled out my summer shoes (sandals, flip flops) around two months post-op they were all loose when they hadn't been the previous year. Since I lost so much subcutaneous fat (as well as muscle), my skin sagged which was especially noticeable around my mouth and at my jaw line. And I developed those hollows beneath my eyes. And then a month or so later, my hair started falling out in handfuls. My hair's texture also became ultra fine and dry and the front section turned gray. I was horrified to say the least! The skin aging did stabilize but my hair has been falling out ever since. I have been on estrogen since a month or two post-op.

I did (and still do) have some sun damage, mostly hyperpigmentation. But I had this for years before surgery and still looked very young for my age. People thought I was 10+ years younger than I was.

Post-menopausal ovaries continue producing hormones which is probably why skin and hair can age quickly after the ovaries are removed or stop functioning after hysterectomy. And the loss of these hormones also ages us prematurely on the inside. Even though it's been 10 years, I still find this difficult to accept especially since my organs should not have been removed. All I can do now is try to keep myself as healthy as possible to hopefully mitigate some of these health risks I've "inherited" as a result of the surgery. I did become a recluse for at least 5 years post-op because of this rapid aging along with a whole laundry list of other symptoms.

Reply Reply