It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board

• Hubby of nearly 40 yrs on Zoloft and doesn't care about sex anymore, what to do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
    MollieR

MollieR HB User
    Hubby of nearly 40 yrs on Zoloft and doesn't care about sex anymore, what to do?

My husband of nearly 40 yrs has been taking Zoloft for about 3 yrs and says he just isn't interested in sex anymore. He refuses to get off the Zoloft or change drugs because he says the Zoloft has helped him a great deal. He used to have a lot of pent up anger at his work (stressful job and owns his own business) and his mother knew how to still after all these years to push his buttons and drive him crazy. He says the Zoloft has mellowed him out and this attitude has improved his business and let's him deal with his mother. He is mellow all right, just downright bland!! He seems to have no opinions, no mood swings, no nothing, especially sex anymore. I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up. When we do have sex, I feel he is just doing it to please me, and it is just mechanical and then done with until I bug him about it months later. Anyone else heard of this problem with Zoloft? Will other drugs like Zoloft have the same problems?? I know a lot of older people are taking Zoloft and wondered if this blandness towards life is what I have to look forward to. Would welcome any suggestions, I have tried to talk with him but he says he doesn't want to give up this drug.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2004, 05:48 AM   #2
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User
    Re: Hubby of nearly 40 yrs on Zoloft and doesn't care about sex anymore, what to do?

Mollie,

Unfortuately that is the most common side effect of SSRI's, it did the same to me on Paxil. Not only does it flatten out the achieving climax, you get a total no desire for it. And it does flatten out your emotions that you in essence don't really care. It not that he doesnt care nor love you, its the medicine. At least that it how it affected me on Paxil. I did eventually get off the medicine, my emotions came back, but the sexual desire still suffers.

Old 04-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Butyl Ether exposure causes such

Why do people treat the symptoms?

In addition to the medicine causing such ... what about why there was a need for the medication in the first place?

If you read up on the 'gulf war syndrome' symptoms ... or the CFS definition, you will see that they could as easily be describing overexposure to 2-butoxyethanol. Or ethylene glycol monobutyl ether

As you share about loss of interest in sex, overexposure to this chemical does such and a whole lot more: there is damage to the central nervous system & usually a change in personality to be 'fly-off-the-handle' over nothing.... depression comes in here, too, along with suicidal tendencies, inability to concentrate, short term memory loss.

The glandular system is disrupted ... everything from reproductive to the pancreas, etc. Check for the kidney and liver function, too, as these are targeted.

As his wife, have you ever woke up with flu-like symptoms over night? Or eyes that burn & itch. Maybe on that work day your husband was being exposed to that kind of chemical. He might just be coughing a lot; there are lots of ways our bodies object to too much chemical exposure. He would have blood in urine and feel a horrible fatigue come on.

To get an accurate diagnosis for this, you might need to start with a good check of the red blood cells. What size and shape are they? Do mature red blood cells look ragged and beat up? What is the 'retic' ratio? You can have significant hemolysis without it showing up in the blood counts & other ways doctors normally check for it.

Your husband may be afraid to deal with the real issues; however, I don't really think he wants to continue on as a zombie. I know a worker of the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup who was exposed to 2-butoxyethanol in the Inipol EAP 22 compound. He was on one of the anti-depressant drugs and after a year he quit, because it did no good.

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 04-17-2004 at 02:33 PM.

Closed Thread