It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board

• Grey Hair at 18!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2004, 06:29 AM   #1
    Sue8

Sue8 HB User
    Grey Hair at 18!

Is grey hair at 18 abnormal? Anyone else?

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 06:38 AM   #2
    dckatz2001
    (male)

dckatz2001 HB User
    Re: Grey Hair at 18!

I started getting gray hair when I was in high school. I am 27 now and have quite a bit. If it bothers you, you can always color it.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #3
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Hi Sue,
    My sister-in-law has grey hair (not totally right away) starting by the early 20's.
    Definitely hereditary in her case - plus having four kids didn't help!!
    She does color her hair what her natural color would have been and goes on about her business!!

Old 09-23-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
    craftlady
    Veteran
    (female)

craftlady HB User

Hi, I had my first grey hair when I was 14, by the time I was 18 I had a few greys here and there, by 19 it looked like I highlighted my hair grey. I think it has something to do with genetics, my dad was grey by 18, my mom by 25. I dont color my hair because of the way the grey has come in. If people dont like it, its their problem, not yours. Color it if you like, just remember that you cant tell how grey you are getting in the mean time, someday you will say the heck with it and you will have alot more grey than you thought.

Old 09-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

CRAFTLADY: how true. That has happened to me and now I am about 90% grey under all the hair coloring.

ALL: A word of warning about coloring hair, it can damage your hair and there may be a time you have to stop processing it for a long time. I am at that stage right now. Between perms and hair coloring my hair has become like straw and difficult to manage. My daughter cut it the other day to get rid of some of the overly processed look. Now I have a choice of wearing a wig or wearing my hair whichever way it wants to behave and act like I like it whether I do or not!!LOL! At least with today styles no one will know whether I haved combed it or not!!

Ah! life's experiences! My family does not like my hair grey, buttttt....dad's hair has been grey for many, many years. In fact they probably cannot remember when he was not grey, and, that is o.k., but not mom!!

Old 09-23-2004, 06:45 PM   #6
    hillaryb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hillaryb HB User

My brother started getting grey hair around 16. He is 26 now and has alot of it. His hair is very dark, almost black, but I think the grey suits him, as he looks really young otherwise. Im also glad I didnt get it cause Im vain. lol. Just kidding. Im 28 and dont have any, but I get highlights,and a few years ago I convinced my mom (now 52) to quit dying her hair ugly reddish-brown fake colors to cover her grey. It never turned out well, and for years (I think she started greying around 35) she dyed and dyed it. She grew it all out (her grey is pretty) got some complimentary highlights and lowlights (she goes to my hairdresser now) and looks better than she did at 40. I plan on doing the same to my hair. The grey looks pretty if you play it up with pieces of blonde and brown (or light reddish brown). I have never seen someone do all-over dye to cover grey and not look well, ....dyed! BTW, my mom has been grey for about 4 years now, and is loving it!!!

Old 09-24-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
    gfd

gfd HB User

I dont have grey hair but 10 % people get grey hair at young hair it's normal.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Genetics. Some get grey early, some VERY late.

You could take advantage of this "problem". Play around with hair colors, and have fun!

I had luxurious, sun-streaked blonde hair until I was 30-something-ish. Then it turned dishwater brown, no grey. I'm not gloating - I'm telling you I was bored of being a natural blonde and couldn't wait until I turned grey so I could decide my own hair color. I think I'll try red next time.....

Closed Thread