It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board

• Grandma has no appetite

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
    tinab631

tinab631 HB User
    Grandma has no appetite

Hello,
    Back in April my Grandma (85 years old) fell in the Nursing home and broke her tail bone and hit her head. Then not long after that she got pneumonia. Ever since then she has not had an appetite. At first all she wanted to eat was Oreo cookies and no solid foods. That went on for about 3 months. Then she got pneumonia again around July or August and completely lost her appetite this time. All she drinks is a drink called Ensure, nothing else. She said that when she tries to eat food she feels like throwing it up. She canít even stand the sight of food, even the Oreos that she used to eat. She hasnít lost any weight. In fact she gains weight from the ensure drinks. She weighs 20 pounds more than she weighed when she went into the nursing home back in July, 2003. She has been taking the same medicines for years so it canít be the medicine making her lose her appetite. Does anyone have any advice for me on how she can get her appetite back? I just want her to have her appetite back so she can have energy. She is so weak from not eating any food. She used to be able to get around with a walker. Now she needs assistants to go anywhere. Thank you in advance for your help.

Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Grandma has no appetite

The older we get the less acute our tastebuds are. If we cannot taste food, we most likely will not continue to eat it.

Many times older people lose the will to live and will quit eating.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:01 PM   #3
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Marie55, don't be such an optimist!!!

Aging can decrease taste bud sensitivity. I'm not sure, but I think zinc (?) supplements can help with this. Also, if she is able to drink alcoholic beverages safely, a glass of wine or beer every night with dinner is supposed to boost your appetite, and is recommended for elderly people who have diminished appetites.

85 is not that old anymore. Don't give up on her yet.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:16 AM   #4
    DonnaJ

DonnaJ HB User

Tina, I know what you mean...my Mom (80) has little appetite too, and is losing weight that she cannot afford to lose. I encourage her to drink Ensure in between regular meals, but even so, she eats so little that it's not making much of a difference. She wouldn't even go out with us for Thanksgiving, as she said that the thought of food just makes her ill.
    Good to know about the zinc, though. I will check with her Dr to see if this would be ok for her to take.

Old 11-26-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
    DowntownBrown
    (female)

DowntownBrown HB User

Hi Tina, Your grandmother is blessed to have a granddaughter who cares enough about her to try and help her. God bless her--she is 85--and she is tired and maybe given up, [depression], and doesn't see any reason to eat or live anymore.
    I was an Elderly Home health care worker for years. Also, my Mother is 78, and still living in her own home, by the grace of God, and six children, trying to help her. She is blessed to have so many children to help her. A lot of elderly are put away into a nursing home, and yes, they do "lose the will to live". My Dad passed away 2 years ago, and that affects her "will to live" too.
    So, I commend you for trying to help your Grandmother. Things that help lift her spirits: MAYBE meds, my Mom took them for awhile, and they helped her. People visiting her more, and maybe find a hobby for her--like sewing, quilting, knitting, or even reading. My Mom knits, and does quilting. She is in the process of making one for me. I visit her almost every weekend. We eat out together, sew together, and even shop some. But...your Grandmother has had a broken hip? Did she mend well? My Mother wants to go bad enough, that she allows us to push her in a wheelchair. Hopefully, your family will help you keep her company, and let her know that she is not alone. And...that she is loved.
    God bless you and yours, Sally B.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:36 AM   #6
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

And, in some cases, losing the appetite is a very normal part of the life process.
    As our stomach, liver, kidneys & intestines age with the rest of us, sometimes they get less and less efficient too.
    Eating amounts of solid food basically puts them on "overload" trying to do something they just cannot do as well as they could.
    Ensure is a good substitute for nutrition. It may come to pass that she will begin to need or want less of that too...

Closed Thread