It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board

• Very sad since turning 50 (I'm 52)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
    rwebber
    (female)

rwebber HB User
    Lightbulb Very sad since turning 50 (I'm 52)

Hi everyone:

Since turning 50 I have been very sad. I don't have the 'hope' for the future that I did in my 30's or even my 40's. I was always waiting and hoping for something to happen. Now that I am 52, I feel sad, lonely and have nothing to hope for. What an empty feeling. In short, I am not looking forward to anything. I guess the main things in life that I looked forward to were having children, getting married, a good job, new house, etc. etc. Now I feel I have nothing to be excited about.

Can anyone relate? Even the tinest bit?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User
    Re: Very sad since turning 50 (I'm 52)

Rwebber,

Do you have a family? Marriage, Children? I cannot tell from your post.

But if I read it correctly you were looking forward to it, so I guess that means you do not?

Last edited by Stumper; 04-09-2006 at 06:47 PM.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
    dicktracy
    Inactive
    (male)

dicktracy HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Very sad since turning 50 (I'm 52)

YOU ARE VERY CORRECT IN YOUR FEELINGS AND THOUGHTS...NOTHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO ,IS RIGHT IM THE SAME AGE YOU ARE,I MEAN OUR COMMON SENSE SHOULD TELL US,TIME IS RUNNING OUT,AND CARS ,HOUSES,MONEY,WHAT GOOD IS IT,EXCEPT TO AMUSE YOU,FOR A LITTLE WHILE

Old 04-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
    Stumper
    Inactive
    (male)

Stumper HB User

Well...what can you do now?

Last edited by moderator4; 04-15-2006 at 06:53 AM.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
    Aprilrain
    (female)

Aprilrain HB User

I do understand what you're saying. I have felt the same way. I'm 55 now. A couple of years ago I was severely depressed, and felt very hopeless. There was nothing to look forward to. Well nothing has really changed in my life except that my depression is under control now, and I no longer feel that way.It's not like there's anything wonderful down the road for me, I just don't feel hopeless. hard to explain.

April

Old 04-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
    Shanlo
    (female)

Shanlo HB User

Hello, I am 50 years young and enjoying life. Every year that I celebrate a birthday I am thrilled, I love seeing and spending time with my grandkids. I still drive 7 hours to visit them sometimes. Recently, I joined Curves, it is a 30 minute workout, with wonderful instructors who will help make your visit so much fun, and you meet different woman of all walks of life.
    I love going to church, sharing with my women group, there is encouragement in numbers. I refuse to let life just pass me by, life is too precious and every day I encourage myself. I tell myself that I will have a great day regardless of what is happening in my life for I know that whatever it is it will not remain the same. I refuse to have a dark cloud over my head. I have been through too much in life and I am just thankful that I have made it to 50, I look forward to having many many more. My grandmother is 90 and she is in her right mind, goes to church and visit the sick. I hope that you ladies will find the inspiration and encouragement you need to know that life is what you make it so make it FUN.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
    aprilfoolgirl
    (female)

aprilfoolgirl HB User

there is still lots to look forward to. I went back to school at 52 and got my masters. I have been working at a very satisfying job for 10 years now. I just paid off my student loan last week! I would encourage you to search your heart and see what you have put off for yourself while you were helping others and go for it. It doesn't have to be elaborare. Life is long. You can do something for 15 years and then do something else for the next 15

Old 04-16-2006, 06:30 AM   #8
    Penny13
    (female)

Penny13 HB User

Aprilfool and Shanlo, You go girls!
    I am 46 and working on my certification to teach a particular type of exercise. Someone asked me why I started "so late." So late? I was busy doing other things. This isn't late!
    I think it's VERY important (I remind myself of this regularly) to set goals. If you've already bought the house, raised the kids, and feel there's nothing to look forward to, set new goals! There is a group called Elder Hostel or something that I can't wait to join when I'm in my sixties -- they arrange travel in groups for older folks, and they go very interesting places.
    Could you learn to sail? Scuba dive? Kayak? Volunteer at an animal rescue place? Learn genealogy? What about gardening? There are so many groups and clubs out there.
    A few years back, I had grown bored with a lot, so I gave myself a year to save for a trip to Central America, and I did it alone! It was so much fun to plan, save, and it gave me so much to look forward to.
    I don't think we were meant just to raise families (in fact, I never did). It's hard to make the shift and re-think things and go for different goals, but there's so much out there, it's worth the struggle. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #9
    Middleagedcrazy
    (female)

Middleagedcrazy HB User

I think I understand what your talking about. For me it happened in my late 40's. It isn't a depression, it was like just realizing one day that this was it! When your younger, you have expectations that there is always another job, another relationship, another everything in your future, better than the ones in the past. Then one day it just hits you! The best is not yet to come, it probably already came and went. You will get through that! I did. Life is great and you have to live each day the best and the happiest that you can. It is funny, when I was in my 20's, I thought I was really smart, then you get into your 30's and you know so much more, then 40, you think, wow! I really didn't know that much! I think you continuely gain so much wisdom and I know I am so sad that I didn't find out more about older relatives that were still around when I was younger, because I know now that they probably had so many interesting life experiences they would have shared if I would have taken the time to ask about them. HIndsight is a alway 20/20.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
    eve2
    (female)

eve2 HB User

Yes, I have experienced some depression since turning 52, but it isn't because of nothing to look forward to. It is because of the change in my self-image, now am seen as "OLD" even though in my mind and heart, I feel so much the same. I also worry about the lack of time left.....suddenly it seems like time is running short. In your case, What kinds of things did you like to do before you were married, had kids, etc.? Also, are you interested in looking inward and developing in that way rather than the outer life? There is more to life than the things you named. Let me know what you think. eve2

Old 04-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #11
    eve2
    (female)

eve2 HB User

Yes, I have experienced some depression since turning 52, but it isn't because of nothing to look forward to. It is because of the change in my self-image, now am seen as "OLD" even though in my mind and heart, I feel so much the same. I also worry about the lack of time left.....suddenly it seems like time is running short. In your case, What kinds of things did you like to do before you were married, had kids, etc.? Also, are you interested in looking inward and developing in that way rather than the outer life? There is more to life than the things you named. Let me know what you think. eve2

Old 04-28-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
    lulu123
    (female)

lulu123 HB User

I can relate rwebber.

I'm 54. I've held down numerous jobs. Had 2 of my own businesses. Raised a family. Went to university at night and then took internet classes after that. Went through over 6 months of police training when I was 46 years old. Now I'm looking for that "something" else.

This past winter I was going through the "getting old" mentality until I realized that I was wasting the rest of my productive life worrying about something I couldn't change! So I searched my soul and had found that I had lost my Passion!

I have discovered that if you can find something to be passionate about you are more apt to become completely involved. This "passion" spurs you on. You don't think about age, or what if's. You are living in the moment.

By "passion" I mean doing anything that makes you feel important to and about yourself. In my instance I found that I loved to draw. I am actually quite good considering I didn't take any lessons. It gives me pleasure. I want to wake up in the morning. I look forward to it! It also pleases others.

Your passion could be writing, helping out at a daycare, reading to the elderly, helping out at a soup kitchen, or simply refurbishing furniture. Anything that makes you want to do it.

This is the best time period in your life. You still need something to look forward to. Your passion.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

I'm just a young punk...so maybe this won't mean much coming from me! But, I've heard people say that you're going to get old no matter what you do...so you might as well do something you enjoy. As other's have mentioned, set goals, and live every day to the fullest! And I don't think 52 is "OLD". Age is just a number, and "OLD" is just an adjective.

Last edited by Midget; 05-01-2006 at 08:29 PM.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
    davecyf
    (male)

davecyf HB User

Maybe your depression cause by drop of HGH?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwebber
    Hi everyone:

Since turning 50 I have been very sad. I don't have the 'hope' for the future that I did in my 30's or even my 40's. I was always waiting and hoping for something to happen. Now that I am 52, I feel sad, lonely and have nothing to hope for. What an empty feeling. In short, I am not looking forward to anything. I guess the main things in life that I looked forward to were having children, getting married, a good job, new house, etc. etc. Now I feel I have nothing to be excited about.

Can anyone relate? Even the tinest bit?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2006, 03:37 PM   #15
    Afterglow
    (female)

Afterglow HB User

Thanks for the info about ELDERHOSTEL, Penny13! I looked it up on the internet. It's a non-profit group offering trips and learning experiences for people 55 and older and it looks awesome! I'm going to check into one of their Alaska excursions.

Closed Thread