It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board

• What makes us look older?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
    Valo99
    Inactive
    (female)

Valo99 HB User
    What makes us look older?

I know that sounds like the stupidest question ever..

But let me explain. For example, I saw a 40 year old woman who was nice looking, no lines, wrinkles, sagging, shiney thick hair and thin and in good shape. Dressed young for her age well. BUT she still looked 40.

OK, she looked good for 40, but what makes us look older if we dont show the obvious signs of aging?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
    Re: What makes us look older?

i think just being older. i see so many women 40,s, 50,s 60,s etc that look great for that age. let's put it this way if you see a 50ish woman who still ahs a great body, good skin and is walking around in clothes made for a 20 year old you will still notice in her face, hands that she is not in her 20's. to me there is a such thing as being a good or bad 50, 60, 70. just my opinion.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

The way people act makes a difference in how old they look.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
    kathryn+2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

Well I can only tell you in my opinion what makes us look younger. Being healthy ,fit, and active , dressing hip...but not TOO hip,. There's nothing that ages a woman more than being overweight. I don't mean 10lbs,I'm actually 10 lbs over weight right now ., but say 30lbs and up. And well most of the time being TOO thin is very aging..... But when it comes right down to it it's mostly in the genes I think .I'm 54 and I'm always being taken for being in my early 40's. My mom and grandmother both looked quite young for their ages.In fact my grandmother lived to be 96 ,but didn't look a day over 75,which used to bug my mom no end,as they were always being taken as sisters . But I do try to help it along by keeping in shape ,eating right ,not smoking or drinking and not trying TOO hard to look younger.

The following user gives a hug of support to kathryn+2:
    mlittle (07-21-2011)
    Old 10-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
    mayam
    Veteran
    (female)

mayam HB User

In addition to what the other posters have said, i think stress can be very ageing and often shows in the face.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:27 AM   #6
    whoevea
    Inactive
    (female)

whoevea HB User

this is what makes us look older.. STRESS!
    stress does wonders on us.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User

A few of things. Hair is usually one, and it is often very subtle. If you ever see a mother daughter picture, even if the mother is quite striking, the hair lacks something. Fullness, shine or whatever. A hairdresser could tell you exactly what it is but, the change starts to happen in the early 30s. I have seen a few woen who have you girl hair into their late 30s early 40s but this is extremely rare.
    Another thing is the way people move. Again around age 30, childbirth concerns aside, an average adult will replace a pound of muscle with a pound of fat every year. The tax free existence of youth is over and muscle bulk and tone will not stay around without proper diet and exercise. The strength and grace of youth are evident in how clothing fits and how people move.
    An ultra fit person like Janet Jackson doesn't look and move a whole lot different than Britney Spears, pre-baby, and Janet is twice her age. Being as her thing is dancing, it will simulate the spring and flexibility of youth when she moves more than almost any other activity.
    The other thing that comes to mind is clothing. I recently returned from a trip to Florence. Women there do not tend to dress age appropriate, at least in the retail areas I visited. The early 20s girls were dressing in the same spikey heels and tight clothing as the late 30s ladies and since everybody did it, the absence of this cue was kind of obvious.
    The fitness thing is huge though because many women do not know how to dress themselves and never had particularly nice hair, but all were young once

Old 10-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
    kellie2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kellie2 HB User

I think what the original poster was asking is - what is it about a woman's 'face' that makes a 20 year old look different than a 40 year old. The woman she saw looked excellent for her age and seemed to have a handle on the things all of you are saying comes with aging and will give it away (clothing, fitness, etc). But that's not what she was asking - the woman she described was fit, dressed well, excellent shape for her 'obvious' age, and moved well....but she still appeared to be a 40 year old woman. She wanted to know why this was....in other words, if she was in such good shape with no wrinkles, why didn't she look like a 20 year old with no wrinkles? What exactly is it that changes?
    I think she meant - take two people, stand them side by side, and make the hair identical, bodies identical, clothing identical, hair style identical, and use someone with no wrinkles, and why can you still tell immediately which one is older. The easiest way to see this is to take your own pictures, especially if your hair has stayed basically the same over the years, and put them side by side. What actually changes is - the contour of your face, and this is due to the fat underneath diminishing, which in turn affects the way the skin actually lays over the bones. Subtle, but there. I can look at a picture of myself now, and one from when I was younger in my 20's, and the face is different. Still me, yes, but the underlying structure of my face has subtly changed over the years, as everyone's does, and this is what gives a person an older look. Not necessarily an 'aged' look, but an 'older' one, and there's a difference between the two. I look great for my age and am many times mistaken for my 31 year old daughter's sister, but that's not to say I don't look older than her because I do. Lets forget the hair, because with everything they can do now, anyone's hair can look just as nice as it did when they were younger - coloring, extensions, etc. Instead, look at the face of a 20 year old - glowing skin, taut skin, uplifted skin, plump skin, etc. Then look at the face of a 40-50 year old, even one without wrinkles - the skin cells don't turn over as fast as they used to so the skin has lost some of that glow; even though there's no wrinkles, the appearance of 'firmness' has disappeared because the fat underneath that holds it up as diminished; the eye socket itself has subtly changed over the years; and there is the beginning of a 'downward' look to the whole face because that's simply what happens to all of us as we get older, no matter how well we take care of ourselves. And this is due not only to the diminishing fat under the skin layers but also to a loss in elasticity in the skin, and both cause us to lose that 'uplifted', structured look we have in our 20's. Also - and many people aren't going to like this - the nose continues to grow as we age, as do the ears. This is fairly common knowledge but we don't notice it because it's minimal as we age. This is one of the reasons why our faces look soooo different as seniors - not only has the underlying structure of our face lost that fat underneath, giving us that hanging skin look, but the nose is shaped different too.

So we can color our hair, add extensions, wear a wig, have facial peels, professionally applied make-up, wear girdles, dress young, and walk with a purpose, but the structure of your face underneath will change regardless of all of this, which in turn will cause what's on the outside to change along with it. And which is also why people get injections in their faces to plump it up - this more than anything else gives back the look of youth. Not a face-lift, because all you're doing there is pulling the skin tight over an already thinning face; it gets rid of the wrinkles, yes, but not the older look. Plumpness does that, because not only does it fill in the wrinkles but fills out the face itself as it used to be when young. This is the reason why they say it's better to be a little overweight as you get older because it keeps the fullness in the face. A good example of this is if you see two senior ladies, one thin and one not - the overweight one will have a nice, plump face, and even with wrinkles will look younger than the thinnner one who has a haggard, drooping look to her skin - there's no longer anything underneath to hold it up.

So in answer to the original question - it's simply the structure underneath that causes the face to change and give a slightly 'older' look to it as we age, which in turn has nothing to do with what we're doing to the outside.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
    mommaoftwinsplus1
    Veteran
    (female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

I agree with the other posters...clothes, hair, skin wrinkling, being overweight, etc, but other things that I think makes women look older is bad posture, yellow teeth and a frown.

Mommaoftwinsplus1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:15 AM   #10
    DiamondLil
    (female)

DiamondLil HB User

I think one thing that causes women's facial skin to age is the use of makeup. I have noticed that women who use foundation and powder every day, especially when they are still young, age more. I think it is because they are starving their skin of oxygen.

Also, once you have the wrinkles, powder just calls attention to them. A plumper face looks younger than a thin one. Just be careful applying mascara because if you use too much on a plump face it tends to make the eyes look smaller (and older) instead of larger.

Also, as you live your life, many stressful situations may arise and stress will eventually show on your face and stay there. You cannot erase your past, at least not from your face.

The easiest way to quess a woman's age is to look at her elbows - so ladies try not to bend them too much. Regards, Lil

Old 10-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
    PeytonP
    (female)

PeytonP HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellie2
    I think what the original poster was asking is - what is it about a woman's 'face' that makes a 20 year old look different than a 40 year old. .
    I get the question too.

For example, let's take Demi Moore. A striking, beautiful woman. However, certainly not the same "youthful dew-ness" she protrayed in "St Elmo's Fire" 20 years ago. What about Kim Cattrill or Nicollete Sheridian? Or, heck...even Madonna. Today's Madonna is not that same "young" face of her "Like a Virgin" days 20 years ago. No wrinkles, still vibrant and looking INCREDIBLY good for her age. But. At 48....it obvious. It's obvious she's not in her 20's any longer. As beautiful as all these women are, we'd enjoy a good giggle if any one of them ever tried to get away with proclaiming they were 16/18/21.

I get the question. I've often wondered myself. What happens to the face, that brings on a look of "maturity"..no matter how smooth your skin, voluminous your hair or rock-hard your body is?

Old 10-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
    janedoe1975
    (female)

janedoe1975 HB User

A smile on one's face can make you forget the wrinkles. I have 2 sisters. One looks real old until she smiles and then you forget her age (70). The secret must be to keep smiling.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
    sandi303
    (female)

sandi303 HB User

Let's not forget genetics ..... I'm 47 & most people guess that I'm in my late 30's early 40's. I have always looked young for whatever age I was- the same with my mother & all my sisters. Guess we were just blessed with that particular gene!!

I agree that your diet, weight, etc. all contribute, but in my family's case - alot of it's genetic.....

Old 10-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #14
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

I have to agree with all of the above, while all contribute, one ageing factor that can add years to the way one looks, is poor posture, whether it be from an ingrained bad habit of slouching, osteoporosis, illness, or general weakness.
    When I was observing a group of senior women, I was trying to figure out what it was that made them all look like the seniors they were. They were of all shapes and sizes, some thin, and some on the plumper side, some had grey hair, and some had colored hair. Some had baby fine complexions and others had course complexions. Finally, I found the one thing they all had in common, their poor posture, their shoulders were stooped, and their chins were jutting forward, with most of them having turkey necks...take a look the next time you are in a mall, many seniors walk with their chins leading first..
    While improving posture won't make a 50 or 60 yr old look 20 again, it may help to take a few years off if posture was the problem to begin with..

Also have to agree loss of plumpness in the face ages it.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:59 AM   #15
    Texanne
    (female)

Texanne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellie2
    So we can color our hair, add extensions, wear a wig, have facial peels, professionally applied make-up, wear girdles, dress young, and walk with a purpose, but the structure of your face underneath will change regardless of all of this, which in turn will cause what's on the outside to change along with it. And which is also why people get injections in their faces to plump it up - this more than anything else gives back the look of youth. Not a face-lift, because all you're doing there is pulling the skin tight over an already thinning face; it gets rid of the wrinkles, yes, but not the older look. Plumpness does that, because not only does it fill in the wrinkles but fills out the face itself as it used to be when young. This is the reason why they say it's better to be a little overweight as you get older because it keeps the fullness in the face. A good example of this is if you see two senior ladies, one thin and one not - the overweight one will have a nice, plump face, and even with wrinkles will look younger than the thinnner one who has a haggard, drooping look to her skin - there's no longer anything underneath to hold it up.

So in answer to the original question - it's simply the structure underneath that causes the face to change and give a slightly 'older' look to it as we age, which in turn has nothing to do with what we're doing to the outside.
    Kellie, I think you hit the nail on the head. I call it God's Face Lift. I am twenty pounds + heavier than I was last year and my clothes don't fit, and my body looks older, but my (early '40's) face looks better than it has in years. That fat under the brow bones and cheeks, lips, etc... does wonders. Also, I remember being a young, naive woman and trying to school my face into a less wide-eyed innocent look. My eyes were wide open and my expression was open when I walked into a new environment. I didn't like it because I felt like it gave my naivete away (people always talked about me being sheltered and naive). Now I think we DO have a more worldly expression on our whole face! Also, I remember as a child, people commenting on my pupils being hugely dilated all the time, almost as though there were just a ring of iris. Now, my 4th grader's eyes are like that, and mine are NEVER like that!

I think there are just signals that the body gives that we can probably never change. Interesting to ponder though, as long as we don't obsess. Keeping an open, pleasant look on our faces is a good practice anyway, huh?

Closed Thread