It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aging Issues Message Board

• Growing old is not for sissies!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User
    Growing old is not for sissies!!!!!

Hi everyone I will be 71 in a week and the aging process has been a education. I really do believe that we should get a introduction/education to the aging process in our much younger years. There should be a class that makes us realize how short our life span is and how precious it is. I am not talking about all the medical info and facts out there telling us on a daily basis how we should age gracefully, the right creams, the right vitamins, the right shoes, etc. etc. etc. We really do have to accomplish alot in such a short amount of time. Each ten year span I thought I finally got it, the window blind went up and it all seemed clear to me, then......I don't know exactly when it happened I looked down at my hands and knew for sure I was aging, wondered when it happened to me. Then something very special happened also, I embraced the wrinkles, sagging skin, age spots, looks were not as important to me anymore. I had time to look more to the inside then the outside . I saw the many blessings in my life, I saw that my class is half full, I stayed on my knees in gratitude, "my cup runneth over." I love nature, my birds , I love my flowers and garden, watching the seasons, the cycle of life that surrounded me, was the best education I could get in the aging process. Yessiree there are a heck of alot of aches and pains, alot of unpredictability but somehow a feeling of gratitude in my heart has made all the difference to me. Blessings!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
    momo1313
    (female)

momo1313 HB User
    Re: Growing old is not for sissies!!!!!

hi wildflowers i know what you mean about not realising you will get older when you are young old age seems so far away then all of a sudden you have aged although in your head you are still that 20 year old girl i wish i was like you i am just turned 67 and all i can see is doom and gloom when my father died at 72 i remember thinking he lived a long life but i know l realise i am not that far off his age and i panic have you any tips to help thank you

Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Good Morning MoMo1313
    I would love to share with you my tips on growing old gracefully.
    I believe fear at any age and especially the elder years is the driving force behind the way we look at the aging process. There is a sacred place within us that we must turn to in our elder years. During our lifetime we have been programmed to believe that old people are hardly good for anything. We live in a culture dominated by the glorification and power of youth, we are generally viewed as " over-the-hill" people who suffer from physical and mental decline. Is it any wonder we fear growing older, however we are programmed to believe all the negativity. We have to let go of the analytical thinking process, we forget that we are the ones that put all of these thoughts in our head, not only do we place these thoughts in our head, we answer them as well, we can be our very worst enemy. A very good tip, no longer look at life in the past or in the furture, just for the day, that way it is simplified and there is peace in the moment. There is alot of wonderful things happen when you live in the moment, you see things differently, I tend not to waste the 24 hours feeling bad. Change your attitude and your thoughts and that will free you.
    I also have a gratitude journal, before my feet hit the floor in the morning I write five things I am grateful for, it sets the tone for the day.
    I think if we are attached to something that is negative and worrisome, it will cause us the most grief, "detach" from anything that makes you feel fearful and full of anxiety.
    This is a very special time in our life, we have earned our stripes, it is a time of transformation, rebirth and celebration, we need to transform our negative thinking into a thinking of celebration, not taking our elder years for granted, we can still make memories and enjoy the time we have. To be honest with you anytime I want to feel sorry for myself I think of the little children at St. Judes and somehow my feeling sorry for myself falls away.
    My final tip, love and forgive yourself, experience the love of your family and friends, keep toxic negative folks away from you, accept that you are in a place where you need to be and embrace it. Please do not think the end is near, somehow when we think of aging and the dying process, that is exactly the time we start really living, one's life situation at any given time may be wonderful or horrible, but one's life is always good, this perception comes from living in your heart instead of your head and living in the moment, knowing that to just live and enjoy the moment is enough. Blessings!

Old 11-26-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
    momo1313
    (female)

momo1313 HB User

thank you wildflowers for your wise answer i will take it all in what you said have written it down so can take it all in this is just a short one for know but hope to speak to you offten god bless love maureen

Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

Wow!! Wildflowers you have given some great advice..You should write a book...I love being around people with your kind of attitude...I am 50 years old and i have come to realize also that life here on earth is just a fleeting moment.....Last august my sister's 20 year old son was killed in an ATV accident...so we are all still trying to get through that grief...but it does make you realize that life is very uncertain and to live each day to the fullest and make sure you know Jesus as your Saviour..

Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

That was beautiful Wildflowers My mom who is no longer with me felt that way about life. She taught me so, SO much.

Life is fleeting. We are really here on borrowed time. I too, think our outer physical changes simply represent our journey. The inside is where it is at And growing spiritually does come with age. And that IS something to be proud of.

Thanks again..
    Madison104

Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi Young Granny and Madison, I just received your reply which was sent on november 27th and November 28th. I feel very blessed that my words to you may have comforted you in some small way.
    No matter what issue we must face during our lifetime, if we name it, speak about it, we will grow through it. I find as I have grown older there is much more depth and intimacy in my relationships with family and friends. What a true gift we are given by the process of aging, I live more in my heart now, my spiritual side, it's such a beautiful peaceful place to be. I now put time in nurturing my spiritual side. When one appreciates the mystery of life and the inward journey we are going through , we uncover lost precious pieces of ourselves, we finally discover in the process what has laid deepest in our heart and souls. I didn't know that I could paint, all those many years there was a artist deep within me that I didn't know about. Yes, it's all about the beauty and journey within. Blessings!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
    JKJones
    (female)

JKJones HB User

What a delight it was to read your post. I'm approaching retirement with all its ins and outs and I appreciated your comments a great deal. My cup does "surely run over." The wrinkles are appearing and aches and pains, too, but we are blessed and hopeful!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi JK Jones, How kind you are! I loved the words blessed and hope. It really isn't such a complicated process after all, dismantling the ego and living in the moment, aging holistically , seems like a very simple formula. We really are our own architects, once we unclench our fists and open our hearts and hands ,get rid of all the fear, the wonder of it all begins, suddenly to our amazement mini little hopeful miracles begin to happen. Life is good!!! Blessings!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

I tell my children that the first season is for learning, the second season is for earning, the third season is for teaching, and the last season is for reflecting.

Everyday is for living and enjoying!

Physical beauty is eventually traded in for the beauty of experience. The day I put my arm through my shirt sleeve, and my mothers hand came out, I was amazed!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
    Aguy44
    (male)

Aguy44 HB User

I am glad to see you live your life Wildflowers, rather than wasting it away. Will and Ariel Durant were compiling philosophy books until the 90's; Aristotle said that aging is rich of knowledge; Plato said wisdom is the domain of advanced age, and in many cultures and tribes around the world, the elders are considered to be the libraries of maturity and wisdom. Unfortunately, in capitalism age is seen as a relic of a past good life because all retirees have everything they need, and need nothing to buy. In our market economy, therefore, young people who have nothing other than cell phones, ipods, and the clothes in their backs, are the advertising targets of the market that see in them a long term consumer for sustained long term growth - until they retire with everything stashed up and away like us. You seem to really live the "Golden Years" , while some others suffer them through because of their bad choices in life, and while many others die young and never get to the old age. I belive that the adage "Life is what you make of it" fit you nicely! Congratulation!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank You Straight guy - Yes indeed, "Life is what you make of it." When we lose our self-preoccupation with ourselves, we find a new reality exists.

I remember growing up all the little rituals that made me feel safe before I was tucked into bed at night, a story, a cookie, kiss, story, drink of water, I didn't realize that as I grew older I was still doing some kind of ritual, starting the day the same way, washing clothes same way, same day, family celebrations same way. I remember hearing my parents say, " This is the way we do things," "it has always been done this way," "do not rock the boat." Growing older I started with my own clean slate. I stopped wasting my time, money and energy on trying to make myself happy, just because I reached a certain time in my life, it was artificial bliss. Then a wake-up call that was close enough as the air I was breathing. I noticed the simple act of breathing in and out, how it sustained my life, how the preciousness of life was dependent on that simple act of breathing in and breathing out, so very simple but ever so enlightening. I was given a opportunity and blessing that day, made me realize I wanted to live my older years more simply and in a serene manner. "Simplicity," there is no right or wrong way to discover the route we take on our journey, a lesson will come with it, we just have to be open. All life is precious!!!! I have to be honest with you, it would be wonderful to be next door neighbors with all of you. Blessings!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
    Madison104
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Beautiful words written here...thank you so much

Closed Thread