It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

inferior turbinate surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2015, 02:17 AM   #1
ariel123
(female)

ariel123 HB User
inferior turbinate surgery

I was wondering if anyone here had a inferior turbinate surgery.

I have been suffering for years from nasal congestion. There was a time when I could not breath through the nose at all, I had surgery for middle turbinate reduction but it did not help. I lived at the time in a hot tropical climate, my ENT told me that if I moved away from that climate it will get better. So I did, and indeed it got much better. But I still have nasal congestion, I wake up every morning with blocked nose, takes a while till it clears up (never 100%). During the day it's not too bad, but in the evening often I feel congested, sometimes need some decongestant, (pseudoeffedrine)
I have tired a number of sprays, nasal wash, antihistamines, etc. no help. Diet change is no help either, I can eat pretty much everything and be perfectly fine, and could be on a strict diet and be horribly congested.

I read in a medical journal about radio-wave therapy for inferior turbanates. It said it's an effective and less invasive treatment, it can be done in the office with just a local anesthetic.
Yesterday I have seen an ENT in the public hospital and asked about this treatment, but they didn't know anything about it.
I was told I have three options: try a different costeroid spray, get the surgery done or find out by myself about this radio-wave therapy.

I was a bit surprised how a public hospital would straight jump to surgery without doing much research before it. The lady who saw me at the hospital was looking my sinuses with a little camera, concluding that I could benefit from an inferior turbinate surgery. But when I asked if that would definatlely help, she said no, can't guarantee anything.
There was no CT done. So basically it was just based on my previous record and the diagnoses with the camera.

I had seen another ENT a couple of years ago (private), he said the same thing that I could benefit from inferior turbinate reduction, but he also wanted to fix my septum, according to him it's deviated. But not according to the ENT in Cairns, and the public hospital .

So opinions seem to vary a lot, they can't even agree on a simple thing like deviated or not deviated septum !? It's really hard to make a decision when your not sure which diagnoses is the correct one if any at all!

I am very worried about the surgery, would this help? Or could it even make things worse?

I would like to hear from those of you who had that type of surgery and what was the outcome of it.
And if any of you knows anything about this radio-wave therapy pls let me know

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
danabarb
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: inferior turbinate surgery

A deviated septum will cause all sorts of problems, especially stuffiness. I had the surgery and it was the easiest surgery I have ever had and now I have very little stuffiness. It caused me to have HORRIBLE headaches as well. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
ariel123
(female)

ariel123 HB User

I don't think if my septum is deviated or not, the CT showed a very straight line.

I've been told many years ago that I had a bit of deviated septum, but it never bothered me really, I only started to develop those symptoms after we moved to a hot humid climate.

As for allergies, according to the skin ***** test I'm only allergic to dust mites.
But I don't have runny nose, I don't sneeze, nothing which would be like a typical allergy symptom. And if I had allergies why would I be more congested in the morning and night? During the day no dust mites??? It doesn't make any sense.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
EricNC
(male)

EricNC HB UserEricNC HB UserEricNC HB User

In a hot humid climate, you're exposed to a lot more allergens especially mold and ozone pollution. An ent put me on a budesonide solution that is added to a nasal rinse like neil med. It helped to shrink the nasal swelling-made a huge difference. If you have nasal swelling, often there is mucus stuck in your sinus area. I'd check into the budesonide solution. If you google Washington University and budesonide, some of the medical studies will come up. People with allergies only have about 50-50 success with turbinate reduction because the allergies can make everything grow back.

Last edited by EricNC; 08-15-2015 at 07:25 AM.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
BlueLemonade
(female)

BlueLemonade HB User

Hi Ariel,

Do you have polyps, or just swollen sinuses? Have you been tested for allergies?

I researched sinus surgery pretty extensively, and it doesn't have a very good track record for success. Also, there is a risk of having what is called "empty nose syndrome". You definitely don't want that.

I recently discovered my sinus congestion was in part a thyroid problem. The thyroid is the "master gland" of the body and controls everything. Even after my allergist suggested my thyroid, it took me a few months to believe it because I didn't have most of the typical symptoms of a thyroid problem. I didn't even have fatigue, but that was probably because I was taking pseudophedrine 24 hours a day. Also, the tea I was drinking was masking the problem (research tea, fluoride and iodine), making my TSH appear normal even though I was very hypothyroid. It's important to find a doctor who will pay attention to your clinical symptoms and not only look at numbers on your blood test. In my case, I had cold feet, headaches and congestion were my only symptoms. The pseudophedrine masked many of the other symptoms. Now I no longer have that congestion. I had been taking 24 hour pseudophedrine for years, and now I am completely off it.

Hope this helps,
Blue Lemonade

Old 09-08-2015, 05:04 AM   #6
ariel123
(female)

ariel123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLemonade View Post
Hi Ariel,

Do you have polyps, or just swollen sinuses? Have you been tested for allergies?

In my case, I had cold feet, headaches and congestion were my only symptoms. The pseudophedrine masked many of the other symptoms. Now I no longer have that congestion. I had been taking 24 hour pseudophedrine for years, and now I am completely off it.

Hope this helps,
Blue Lemonade
No, no polyps
what treatment have you received?

Old 09-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
ariel123
(female)

ariel123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNC View Post
In a hot humid climate, you're exposed to a lot more allergens especially mold and ozone pollution. An ent put me on a budesonide solution that is added to a nasal rinse like neil med. It helped to shrink the nasal swelling-made a huge difference. If you have nasal swelling, often there is mucus stuck in your sinus area. I'd check into the budesonide solution. If you google Washington University and budesonide, some of the medical studies will come up. People with allergies only have about 50-50 success with turbinate reduction because the allergies can make everything grow back.
Budesonide spray is a corticosteroid. I have tried many different ones, not this one, but so far none did help. But I will make a not, and ask my ENT about it.
thx

Old 09-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
EricNC
(male)

EricNC HB UserEricNC HB UserEricNC HB User

What I use is not a spray but a liquid solution that you add to a neil med sinus wash. I think the liquid gets further up your nose which is one reason it works well.

Last edited by EricNC; 09-08-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
Dawnnewday
(female)

Dawnnewday HB User

I had the inferior turbinate surgery a month ago. I had severe allergies and constant runny nose and infections. The radio wave technique worked well for me and was quick, although very scary at the time. It took a couple weeks to settle down. I'm wondering if the other turbinate should be worked on as they swell like crazy with any allergan. Anything that helps these horrible allergies and swollen sinuses is appreciated.

Closed Thread

Tags
allergies, sinus, surgery, turbinates