It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• My girlfriend is allergic to something around or about me, please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
    Anon991100
    (male)

Anon991100 HB User
    My girlfriend is allergic to something around or about me, please help!

Hello everyone. Iím posting this on behalf of my girlfriend who is having an allergic reaction whenever she is around me or my house. I know this is a bit of a wall of text but please keep reading, we can use all the help we can get at this point. Also Iím posting this with her consent. We are in a long distance relationship. I live in Europe, she lives in Asia. This has been going on for the past 2 years now, and during that time weíve visited each other 4 times, usually for several weeks. The first time I went to Asia we met up and for the about 2 weeks that we were together nothing was out of the ordinary, no allergic reaction whatsoever.

The second time we met up she came to Europe, and thatís when problems started. After about a few days she started to develop an allergic reaction. The symptoms are: hives or rash on her face, ears, parts of her arms and legs with quite severe itching, to the point when she had difficulty sleeping and couldnít stop scratching. It looked like small red bumps. Also her eyes were extremely itchy to the point where it was hard for her not to keep rubbing them. After some time her private parts also got itchy. The itch was pretty much unbearable so we went to get some creams and medicine at the drug store. Iím not sure what kind of cream that was, but the medicine was the antihistamine Ďícetirizineíí. Also we got a kind of eye drops that provided only temporary relief. All of these things had minimal effect as the rash continued throughout that visit. As soon as she left here, her symptoms gradually disappeared over the period of 1 to 2 weeks.

We started thinking about what could be the cause. We thought it may have been my fabric softener or detergent, so from that point on I changed to exclusively 100% neutral allergen free detergent so that that could not be the cause on my next visit.

The third time we met up I went to Asia. Apparently I was carrying the allergen again because after 1 or 2 days her symptoms started appearing again. By this time I had been washing with the allergen free detergent for 1 or 2 months. The symptoms were exactly the same as the last time, however of somewhat lesser degree, but still enough to be very uncomfortable. To take some measures I started washing with her soaps and shampoos, and to be sure I washed all of my clothing again with her detergent. Also I avoided using any deodorants and stuff like that, despite it being in the middle of a hot summer. Also I donít use any hair gels. Again her symptoms went away about a week after I left.

Sometime later I went to Asia again to visit. This visit was kind of bad in general as we got flu for different reasons. Despite that, her symptoms reoccurred again after a day or two, to a similar lesser degree like last visit. She went to a doctor and got some different medicine for allergy that worked only somewhat. Again her symptoms went away about a week after I left.

Recently she got a general allergy test for the most common allergies. The results only showed around 50% chance of allergy for dogs. She has frequent contact with a dog which give her no allergic reaction. Also a very small percentage of allergy to cats. I do have cats in the house, but actually her family house has also had a cat since she was younger. She has never gotten a reaction from that cat, and no reaction recently still. So unless Asian cats and European cats differ greatly in terms of the allergens they carry, that also seems an unlikely cause. The test also showed a very small percentage for allergy to molds and fungus. As far as I know I donít have those around my house, and I donít see how I could have carried a sufficient amount of that to Asia in my suitcase. Molds also seem unlikely. The test shows she is not allergic to pollen and dust mites, unlike me. Iím allergic to dust mites myself.

On the internet Iíve been reading up about allergies to a protein in semen that some people have. This also seems unlikely. For reasons we donít really have oral or anal sex down below, with or without condom (which would also eliminate latex allergy). I can say semen has made contact with her mouth, but no allergic reaction has developed in or around her mouth which would make semen allergy unlikely.

As far as she knows sheís never had any allergic reaction to any kind of food.

A post on another forum suggested that it may be a formaldehyde allergy. My girlfriend has tried several products that contain formaldehyde releasers on her skin. These cosmetic products at least contained the known releaser ''diazolidinyl urea''. After 24 hours she did not have any reaction whatsoever. Formaldehyde allergy seems unlikely.

I really hope the allergy is not the result of some sort of psychosomatic response. (perhaps in combination with some otherwise harmless allergen). I wouldnít really know how we could deal with such an allergic response.

Is there maybe something we overlooked? Some other possible causes that come to mind? She will be visiting again soon and I really hope we can prevent her allergies this time. Many thanks for all the help and advice you can provide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
    viper
    (male)

viper HB User
    Re: My girlfriend is allergic to something around or about me, please help!

Hello Anon991100

I am very sorry to hear about the troubles that you and your lady friend are having. This must be extremely stressful especially on top of a distance relationship. There are a few things that jumped out to my on your post and I will try to address everything and not skip a beat.

When you made this statement:

"The third time we met up I went to Asia. Apparently I was carrying the allergen again because after 1 or 2 days her symptoms started appearing again. By this time I had been washing with the allergen free detergent for 1 or 2 months. The symptoms were exactly the same as the last time, however of somewhat lesser degree, but still enough to be very uncomfortable. To take some measures I started washing with her soaps and shampoos, and to be sure I washed all of my clothing again with her detergent. Also I avoided using any deodorants and stuff like that, despite it being in the middle of a hot summer. Also I donít use any hair gels. Again her symptoms went away about a week after I left."

Did her symptoms continue the same or did they decrease after you were using her products? Also how long was it from when you used her hygiene products to when you went back home?

Old 08-29-2015, 05:59 AM   #3
    Anon991100
    (male)

Anon991100 HB User
    Re: My girlfriend is allergic to something around or about me, please help!

Thanks for your reply Viper. As far as we could tell her symptoms continued. They may have been slightly less but that could have several reasons. In any case the symptoms remained. It's very hard to determine the allergen since the bumps that appear on her skin and the itchy eyes can take a while to form and disappear it seems (Especially if she is scratching and rubbing), so even if she is not exposed to the allergen anymore she will still keep the symptoms for some time. Then later she may be exposed again and get a reaction again while to us it may have seemed the reaction never went away. This makes it really hard to determine the exact time she got exposed to the allergen.

To your second question, I think about 1 week into the 3 week holiday i started using her products, so for the remaining 2 weeks I was using that. I can't guarantee that I was using 100% of her products, maybe more like 80%, but by now we've at least tested most of the remaining products such as my deodorant on her skin with no reaction as a result.

She's been visiting me here in europe for about 2 weeks now, again she developped a reaction but the medication she received from her doctor seems to work perhaps for 80%. Her reaction is not nearly as severe as it was the first time she were here, perhaps also since a lot of cleaning was done in the house as a precaution.

Last edited by Anon991100; 08-29-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    allergies, allergy, girlfriend, international