It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Milk Allergy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
    Mountaingoat14
    (female)

Mountaingoat14 HB User
    Milk Allergy

Hello,

I recently found out I'm allergic to milk after spending 10 years thinking my allergy was gone. I was allergic to animal milk as a baby and young child, but it went away. Recently I started getting sick constantly, and now I have to learn to deal with a semi-serious allergy. Is anyone else allergic to milk? Any advice? I'm finding it very hard to go out to restaurants, and it's causing me anxiety to eat anywhere aside from home. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
    Terrilee59
    (female)

Terrilee59 HB User
    Re: Milk Allergy

I just found out that I'm allergic to milk. I was never allergic as a child and now, at 56 yrs. old , to be allergic to milk is ridiculous! It started out 2 months after getting a reaction to a pneumonia vaccine, the same vaccine I had prior 5 yrs. ago with no reaction. The reaction of swelling, redness, rash and fever that went from the top of my shoulder down to my elbow lasted 2 weeks. 2 months later I was diagnosed with beef/pork allergy after several bouts of severe reactions with anaphylaxis. Then I was hit with severe reactions to butter, milk, candy a few months later. My life has drastically changed. I can't eat any food out as I've been cross contaminated. I ate a sprouted grain flat at Panera and had to be rushed to the ER. It wasn't supposed to have milk or whey in it and obviously it was cross contaminated with something. I used to enjoy going out with my husband and stopping for something to eat but now I can't do that. I did find out that I can have Oreo cookies, the regular ones. They don't contain milk. My reactions always happen within 15-30 minutes. I get stomach pains, followed by extreme diarrhea, dry heave vomiting, tingling in hands and feet, then I start passing out because my blood pressure plummets. I cook my meals from scratch and substituted almond milk but then got reactions to that, too. My allergist wants to test me for nut allergy at my next appointment which isn't until the end of Feb. I'm thinking it's not the nuts . I'm guessing it's cross contamination because the carton stated that it is processed through the same machinery that processes milk. They stated they clean the lines when they switch over but I doubt it. I also got sick from Coconut milk and that is rare from what I've rad. It's not considered to be a nut. That, too is processed thru milk equipment. I've only found Wendy's (the chicken nuggets,southern homestyle chicken sandwich, fries and plain baked potato) to be safe. Chick-fil-a is safe if I order their wrap sandwich without cheese and a side salad without cheese. Breads, you must read the labels. There is an allergy site where I printed out a chart that tells me all the different names that milk goes by and what products may contain milk. You have to really alter your lifestyle with a milk allergy. In less than a year, I've had 11 reactions. So far, I'm at a record of none for 21/2 months. Hope I can keep going.

Reply Reply

Tags
    allergy, diet, food, milk