It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• swollen irritated nasal passages (turbinates) for last 5 weeks, help!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
    Puddinpie
    (female)

Puddinpie HB User
    swollen irritated nasal passages (turbinates) for last 5 weeks, help!!!!

Hello everyone,

I have been suffering for the last 5 weeks with a stuffy irritated nose. It was very odd how it all started suddenly and just got worse as time went on. Here is how everything started:

We are in the process of selling our home and have been doing some minor work around the house to get it ready for the last couple months. Well I bent down or did something and hurt my lower back( pulled a muscle). it was finally healing after two weeks and out of he blue I tripped over something and Bam, my back was killing me. I actually laid down for a minute on my heating pad and cried it hurt so bad. Well after about 15 minutes to 20 minutes I started feeling better with my back. My nose was running and a little stuffy due to crying which is normal. It usually goes away after a few minutes. Well I went downstairs to the basement apartment to clean the sink and sweep the floor. I then had to go to the store. I noticed as I was driving home from the store my nose felt kind of funny, like a little stuffy and irritated. I thought it was still from crying but not sure. When I got home my husband had just finished cleaning a huge area rug in our den with resolve carpet cleaner and it smelled so perfumy. I avoided going in that room because of the smell and because my nose was already irritated. The next morning I woke up and noticed my nose was still irritated. I sneezed some and the right side of my nose started running a little. It only lasted for a few minutes and then stopped. I still had the stuffy irritated feeling though. I even had my hubby throw that area rug he cleaned out as I did not want to keep smelling it. I do not think that caused this as the symptoms started before he cleaned the rug. After a few days it was not getting better, in fact I felt worse and I also was getting pressure around my eyes and around my nose. I went to see my ENT ( ear, nose, throat) doctor. He looked in my nose and said it was definitely swollen. He did a CT scan and said my sinuses looked clear that it was my nasal passages( turbinates) that were swollen. He said probably allergies since they looked pale and boggy to him. He had me take nasonex nasal spray. I used the nasonex in one nostril just to see how I would do and it felt a little more swollen afterwards that day. I decided not to use it again and hoped this would pass. A few more days went by and I called my primary care doctor and she prescribed to me medrol dose pack( which is oral steroids,4 mg pills) for 6 days. I felt some relief the first day but then the next day I felt crappy again and felt it was not helping too much. I had been taking oral zytrec for the last 5 years, only a low dose of 5mg for skin issues I get. I am sensitive to stuff and will get rashes from time to time so my doctor told me to take the zyrtec daily. I stopped taking the zyrtec thinking maybe it was drying me out and causing this. I however did not feel any better after stopping it. I went back to the ENT doctor and he said to see my allergist. I went to see her and she said she did not think it was allergies since I was not sneezing or having a runny nose or itchy eyes which happens with allergies. She said to try nasacort and see if that helps. I have been on that for almost two weeks( using it in one nostril 2 sprays once a day to see how it goes) and I feel no difference at all. The only thing that helps some is when I take oral pseudophedrine. I try not to take it too much, I only take it like every other day or so and I take it only once a day when I take it( 30 to 60 mg Not the extended 12 hour one). I cannot figure out what happened here and how this just started out of nowhere. I mean like I said, we did have some work done for the last two months, We had a small area of wood stained( my husband did it and it was well ventilated), we also had some dry wall placed on our upper back porch( we have an odd turtle shell upper back porch where it is partially enclosed), I of course was not in that area when the work was being done and it was outside the house. Also we had our laundry room retiled( again, this is separate from the house, it is downstairs, you have you go outside to get to it). I also was not in the area when it was being done. I mean could this have put something in the air and caused me to react like this? But then why would it not go away by now? I also thought maybe the crying kicked it off? I am at a loss as to what to do. I am miserable and nothing seems to be helping with this. I do not have a runny nose at all, and my nose does not feel like it is full of mucous, it is dry but the turbinates are swollen and feel irritated and burny. The stuffiness is the worst!

Does anyone have any ideas what can help this? I even went to see a second ENT doctor and he said it was swollen and mentioned my septum was slightly deviated and mentioned surgery if all else fails. Though we do not believe that my septum is causing this issue seeing how it just came on out of the blue. I never had any issues like this before. He sent me to his allergist and she was stumped and said we could test for allergies but she also did not think it was allergic, but more Non-allergic, like an irritation or something. She mentioned trying singulair( montelukast). Not sure how that would help my swollen nasal passages as it is an asthma/allergy medication.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this is and why nothing is really working( except for the oral sudafed I take now and then). What else can I try to help with this. It seems like the veins in my nasal passages are just swollen all the time. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Puddinpie; 09-02-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: swollen irritated nasal passages(turbinates) for last 5 weeks, help!!!!

Dear Puddinpie,

You have been under a LOT of stress! Yikes!
    Being over-tired stresses all of the body and it tends to show in a variety of different ways. Sinus issues being just one.

I have similar experience with my sinuses off & on, and in fact I have it right now...dealing with stressful situations, being over tired and/or exposed to pollution, dry air, chemical irritants and so on cannot help and could be the main cause.

I don't think there is a clear-cut definite solution. What I do when my sinuses are like that is to flush them with a non-medicated saline water for the sinuses from the pharmacy (any brand). Instructions come with the package. You can get a rinse or a mister. It can make your sinuses run for awhile, but mine always feel better after a saline treatment. Saline has antimicrobial properties and is safe to use.

You may need to use a mask when using cleaning, painting or repairing products, sweeping, vacuuming, etc. You may need more regular rest, you may need a cool mist Humidifier in your home. I swab a little film of Vicks salve inside my nostrils, too, as the vapor is cool & soothing.

You may need to internally hydrate your self, with drinking more water and less of the diuretics like caffeine and sodas, etc. (Are you taking a prescription diuretic? that may dry up your sinuses, I don't know.)

I have noticed that my sinuses are fine when I am near the ocean, there is so much salt and moisture in the air. I don't know what will soothe your sinuses, but I tend to think it is related to what you have been doing recently, and that it is environmental.

Mainly, be sure to not do anything to irritate your sinuses. I think it is likely one of those things we have to sooth and just allow to pass.

Last edited by yayagirl; 09-02-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
    Puddinpie
    (female)

Puddinpie HB User

Yayagirl, Thank you so much for the reply. I am not sure if it is my sinuses though. The ENT doc said my sinuses looked clear. It is just my nasal passages are swollen( my turbinates and passages). I agree, it may be a combination of things that set it off. I also have some other chronic health issues I Have been dealing with over the last 12 years. I have a disease called Interstitial Cystitis which a debilitating bladder disease. The symptoms are burning/pain in the bladder and inflammation in the bladder as well as urinary frequency. They really do not know what causes it.

I almost feel like I have the same thing in my nose! It feels burny and irritated and of course the worst symptom is it gets so stuffy I cannot breathe comfortably out of it. What worries me is nothing I am doing is helping. I have tried the neti- pot with the saline, salt, baking soda rinse. I felt it irritated me further so I did not do it again. I also tried the steroid nasal spray( been on it for almost 2 weeks with no real help which I am not surprised as oral steroids did not even help much. I was on 4 mg of medrol dose pack which is a lower dose but I did not feel much relief from those even. Allergist wants me to try singulair. I am unsure as it has some side effects that can occur. They say one of the side effects is stuffy nose!! I mean it is not super common but that is the last thing I would need. I am sensitive to medications so that worries me. Also, I have never heard of it helping swollen nasal passages, I thought it was mainly for asthma or allergies. Allergist says she does not think this is an actual allergy, more of irritation or non-allergic.vasomotor type rhinitis. I just took 60 mg of pseudophedrine I am so miserable. That helps some at least but I don't like taking it too much.

I guess my biggest concern is that usually people get better or relief from taking medications like the nasal steroids and such but I am not responding. I have read online that if the nasal turbinates stay swollen for any length of time it can become permanent where surgery is the only option left and that has it's own risks. I feel like my body is swelling up the veins in my nasal passages and it wont turn off. This is frustrating. Thanks for listening, I am just miserable with this and need to feel better so I can concentrate on finding a new place since we are selling our place.

The following user gives a hug of support to Puddinpie:
    yayagirl (09-03-2016)
    Old 09-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

You're welcome, Puddinpie,

I know it's hard to stop trying to make that feeling to go away, but like a small pimple, if we keep messing with one it keeps on being irritated and becomes a big infected sore. The doctors have not found anything serious wrong and I think just take comfort in that.

The saline you used may have had too high of a salt content, and maybe you didn't use bottled DISTILLED water (not the bottled drinking water). Maybe you don't need saline in the distilled water.

The sinuses have very thin skin with a lot of blood vessels near the surface so they are very easy to irritate. Maybe try rinsing with plain distilled water and then smooth in a very small amount of aloe vera or almond oil to soothe and moisturize the skin, and just let them alone heal. It does take time.

I would not keep trying to fix this. I am thinking probably your sinuses need you to get rest, relax, and quit trying to force them into recovery.

That's what the body is made to do, so if you are basically healthy, they will heal.

Last edited by yayagirl; 09-02-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
    Puddinpie
    (female)

Puddinpie HB User

Thanks Yayagirl.

At this point I think you are right, everything seems to irritate it more. As far as my health, I unfortunately do not have the best immune system. I have chronic illnesses that I deal with and do not heal quickly. Most of the issues I Have come down with become chronic. That is my biggest concern with this, I sure do not need another chronic health issue to deal with.

The ENT doctor I saw mentioned surgery saying if medication does not work then it will require surgery.

When I did the neti- pot I used distilled water, a pinch of pure sea salt and a pinch of baking soda. Thank you for the suggestions. I also thought about maybe trying colloidial silver nasal spray as it is suppose to help with bacteria and fungus but maybe I will just let it be for a bit and see what happens. I have a vapo mist machine and I was using some organic essential oils( eucalyptus) a drop of it in some water and breathing it. It seemed to soothe things at first but that kind of stopped helping too.

It is hard to function with a swollen stuffy nose and makes sleeping difficult too. .

I appreciate all your advice and support, thank you so much.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

If I were you, I would go to another allergist because many times vasomotor rhinitis walks hand in hand with allergic rhinitis. Two allergists have told me as such. I have also had the turbinate surgery and it was a snap to have done. If you should see a new allergist,maybe he or she can refer you to someone regarding your turbinates. I also have tried prescription sprays and all they did was upset my stomach, so I no longer have them in the house. I DEFINITELY would go see another allergist and have him do the skin test on you.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...initially, you should get a swab of your nostrils to see if you might have a high count of staph bacteria.
    Secondly...you need enough salt in the neti pot. If you dont use enough, it will irritate the membranes.
    Thirdly...purchase secaris. It's a soothing gel that moisturises withour irritating. Use a q tip...do not use the same end in both nostrils.

With autoimmune, they love to party in numbers. One area that's fragile can be pushed to the tipping point quickly if it's overloaded.

The pseudoephredine will give you relief. If you don't have high blood pressure, it shouldnt be a problem. I wouldnt use the silver until you get it swabbed. Actually, with raw thin membrane, i wouldn't suggest it at all.

What supplements are you using?

You might consider to use another antihistamine such as reactine or aerius.

q

Old 09-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
    Puddinpie
    (female)

Puddinpie HB User

Thanks for the reply. This is the second allergist I have seen. She did say that we could do allergy testing in a couple weeks if I get no relief from the singulair. I actually saw an ENT doctor first who mentioned surgery, but felt this was too early to talk about that. He only mentioned septum surgery for my septum that is Only mildly deviated which is Not causing my issue. After all, I have been living perfectly fine and breathing fine all this time up until just 5 weeks ago when this started out of the blue. I have seen 2 ENT doctors already. The first one said Never let anyone do surgery on your turbinates. I guess there is a lot of risks when having that done( you can develop ENS which is Empty Nose syndrome, a very debilitating disease from it, even years after having it done. That part scares me.

I think my allergist was not thinking allergies so much because the only treatment they have for allergies is anti-histamines and if they do not work, then it is probably not a true allergy( histamine related).

What were your symptoms? My main symptom is a dry feeling stuffy nose. I have no runny nose or anything. When I look I can see my nasal passages are swollen( the turbinates). I believe my entire passages are swollen, not just the inferior trubinates that you can see when you look in the nose, but all the turbinates and entire passage all the way back.

Were you actually diagnosed with allergies through skin tests? i had the allergy blood tests back 4 years ago to environmental stuff like ( pollen, trees, mold etc..) and it was negative. I know things can change but it is odd how this happened all of a sudden. I think it might even be my immune system causing this. I have other other inflammatory health problems ( Interstitial Cystitis) where my bladder gets very inflamed. I also have fibromyalgia nand digestive issues that i deal with off and on. I wonder if this is just yet another chronic issue, which I pray it is not. I have been reading a lot about bacteria and biofilms and how they can cause chronic nasal and sinus issues. It is very frustrating. I just want something I can take to relieve this. So far only oral sudafed helps but I do not want to take that all the time. It makes my heart race a little. It is the only thing that takes the edge off though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
    If I were you, I would go to another allergist because many times vasomotor rhinitis walks hand in hand with allergic rhinitis. Two allergists have told me as such. I have also had the turbinate surgery and it was a snap to have done. If you should see a new allergist,maybe he or she can refer you to someone regarding your turbinates. I also have tried prescription sprays and all they did was upset my stomach, so I no longer have them in the house. I DEFINITELY would go see another allergist and have him do the skin test on you.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
    Puddinpie
    (female)

Puddinpie HB User

Qunicy: Thanks for the reply! I am going to see my primary care doctor Wednesday and will ask her about the swab. I also have a functional practitioner who I see( she is more knowledgeable when it comes to chronic illnesses) and she believes in trying to figure out the root issue instead of just treating symptoms. I cannot get in to see her until the middle of October though.

I only tried one squirt of the colloidial silver in one nostril yesterday and yes, it burned quite a bit. I think I will hold off for now like you said and maybe get a nasal swab. I know the ENT doctor and my allergist never even mentioned infection, probably because I do not have any green or discolored mucous drainage, in fact I do not have any running nose at all. I agree with you though, I think there can be bacteria inflaming the area without it causing mucous.

As far as supplements go, I take Vit D3 daily. I use to take Vit A but stopped that just to see if maybe it was contributing to this. I also take probiotics daily, have been for years now for digestive health. I did read that Thyme can have vancostriction activity when taken like a tea so I thought about trying that. I was using a vapor mist machine to breath organic essential oils ( eucalyptus, peppermint). It seemed to a little soothing but yesterday I actually found it more irritating for some reason.

What is your thought on taking singulair? The allergist thinks it may help with the nasal swelling. I think it is probably a shot in the dark. I mean singulair is a medication that treats asthma from what I have read, and sometimes helps with allergies. She however did not feel this was an allergy. She said I would have a runny nose, sneezing more and itchy eyes if it were an allergy. She also said allergies do not just happen over night.

I think it is my immune system reacting to something, Not a histamine reaction so much. I just want some relief. Oral sudafed helps take the edge off but I try not to take it daily as it makes me feel funny, I get jittery and a little racing heart when I take it. I do Not have high blood pressure at all, usually mine is low so I am not too worried about that aspect of it. Steroid nasal sprays do not help at all. I have been on the nasacort in my one nostril for 10 days and do not feel it is helping much at all. I actually did not even take it yesterday night, I figured I would give it a break.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-15-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi....the singulair is an antileukotrine...a different aspect of allergy reaction. It also is used as a treatment for migraine. How long have you been on it?
    Are you having any issues with your eyes or ears or skin? Do you have rosacea?

The nasal swab...if it's positive for staph or whatever, it might be contributing.

I would suggest you maybe see an allergist or even a dermatologist for nasal membrane swelling.

How has your IC been as of late?
    What other changes have taken place in your life, products, bed, meds, facial lotion...etc?

q

Old 09-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #11
    Puddinpie
    (female)

Puddinpie HB User

Hi Quincy,

I have been on the singulair only two days now. The allergist is the one who prescribed it hoping it would help with the swelling of my nasal passages. I have already tried so many other things ( nasal steroids, oral medrol dose pk 4 mg methylpredisolone, neti- pot rinse) and they have not helped. So I just started the singulair. Not noticing too much of a difference at this point, though I do notice it is causing me a headache.

I do not have Rosacea. I do get skin issues from time to time though. I am very sensitive ( especially to medications) and will get odd skin rashes and bumps when I take certain medications.

I have been seeing an allergist. MY allergist fluffed it off saying this was not allergies because I would have more than just swollen turbinates/nasal passages. She said I would have lots of sneezing, runny nose, and itchy eyes if were a true allergy. I went to see a different allergist that the ENT doctor referred me to last week and she suggested the singulair. She also did not think it was allergy with how it came on out of the blue like it did. She said we can do allergy testing though if I want to. I had allergy testing about 4 years ago when I was having skin issues( which was caused by medication I later found out). But she did an allergy test using blood checking for environmental allergies like different weeds, molds, pollens, etc.. and it was all normal. That was 4 years ago.

My IC at the moment is not horrible ( thankfully). When I first got IC back in 2005 it was horrendous. I had it 24/7 pain non stop. It was excruciating. I tried all the treatments for it to no avail. I did bladder instillations where they inject medicine into the bladder via a catheter. That helped a little with the pain but ended up giving me nasty UTI's. I ended up with one UTI and had to be on antibiotics for 6 weeks to get rid of it and then I had to stay on the antibiotic low dose for long term. That is when my IC got better, I mean 95% better. My thought is that IC is caused by some hidden bacteria. I still have issues with IC, my bladder will flare up and it will be horrible. Right now though my sowllen stuffy nasal passages are horrible. I have to say I think the stuffy nose and not being able to breathe well is one of the worse things I have dealt with so far.

Getting scared because nothing seems to be helping. Only oral sudafed takes the edge off and I wont take it every day because I don't like how it makes me feel and I also do not know if it is safe to take all the time. My allergist told me to take it when I need it, that it is safe. I just hate taking medications as I am so sensitive to them it seems. I am miserable though. Not sure it the singulair is going to help. I mean wouldn't it have helped by now with the second pill if it was going to?

Last edited by Administrator; 09-15-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi...You could consider to take the Sudafed SD that doesn't have the pseudoephedrine.
    I think give the Singulair a fair chance...for sure a month to see if it helps. The process of allergy, reaction etc is a tricky one and has a very long memory. Just think of how our mental defense mechanisms are automatic and how much work it takes to recognise, intervene and then change. Some parts of "allergic" reaction don't show while others continue. one month at least I would think. Take it at night seemed to be better I think from what I read.

Invest in the NeilMed squeeze bottle rinse method. It works far better than the neti pot for me, and the powder is premixed. I use Brita filtered water heated in the microwave in a measuring cup...then pour it into the bottle. I find the time for microwaving varies with the season..lol.

Absolutely, as I mentioned...invest in the Secaris. It will help soothe and protect those areas. Worth trying. I did try Nasagel...squirting it in and then squishing the nostrils worked also. It's a subjective thing. but worth it.

I don't do the steroid sprays anymore. I did the rhinacort eons ago...and then for formula changed. I ended up with sinus infection and worse feeling. There is definitely something in the products of today that bother me. I use Otrivin spray mist....sparingly....because a new ingredient as of the last few years has also caused a problem.

Steaming without anything added would be better than some essential oils. I limit fragrances, and when areas of the body are fussy...they just increase their reaction if they just need plain. Many fragrances bother me, so essential oils are never a part of any additions. Actually, I find many natural things more bothersome....go figure.

I do find certain facial products tend to have my nasal passages reactive....they feel tight and dry like you describe. The trick with autoimmune is to keep things calm. Our passages are covered with mucus and are fragile. Moisture is the most needed for protection immunity...so start there. Blowing often throughout the day is something I try to do, especially once I arrive home.

There is a product...can't remember the name, but it's a methocellulose spray. I'll try to find out the name.

Have you tried acupuncture?

q

Last edited by quincy; 09-06-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
    Puddinpie
    (female)

Puddinpie HB User

Thanks for the reply,

I found the singulair was giving me an awful headache. I am giving it a try but so far no difference at all. The more I think about it, the more I am thinking this is some sort of fungal or bacterial infection in my nasal passages. I mean it came on so sudden and nothing I try is helping so it stands to reason this must be some kind of infection.

With the Oral Sudafed, I believe it is the pseudophedrine that actually helps with the nasal passage swelling. What is sudafed SD? Is there a vanconstrictor in it? I know I tried something a long time ago over the counter when I had a cold, I believe it has Phenylephrine or something like that and it did nothing to help. The only thing that has ever helped my stuffy nose was pseudophedrine. I only would take it when I got a cold which was once in a blue moon. Now however since this started 6 weeks ago I have taken it like every couple days. I try not to take it daily as it does have side effects and I do not like taking drugs, but this is terrible not being able to breathe well so I have no choice really if I want some relief. I have not used any kind of nasal decongestant like Afrin or Otrivin as I am afraid as it has a bad wrap for causing worse rebound congestion which I do not want to deal with that.

Where would I purchase the Secaris? Is this something I can but at the store?

See with me, I do not even need to blow my nose as I have No drainage or anything up there at all. When I blow I never get anything out. It is so odd.

I have not done acupuncture for this yet, but I have done acupuncture for my other health ailments but it never really helped me. That is an option I can try. I will need to try and find a good acupuncturist here as the one I use to see left the country and went back to China. I live in Chicago Illinois.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I really honestly think this has to be some sort of infection( bacterial or fungal). I mean I am having symptoms all day long with no reprieve and nothing I have tried for allergies has been helping. That makes me think hidden infection or something like that. It is odd that my only symptom is nasal passage swelling and turbinate swelling. I can actually feel my whole nasal passages swollen. It is not like when I have a cold even, it is different. My turbinates are actually in pain and hurt. I am trying some natural stuff, I bought some colostrum to see if that helps. This is so frustrating and I am trying everything to get my turbinates to stop swelling as I read if you do not get them down then they will remain permanently enlarged where only surgery will fix it. I have read horrible things about surgery and how it does not work half the time and makes things worse a lot of the time.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-15-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I absolutely agree that you could have an infection, and the only way to know is to have a swab.

My experience with systemic decongestants of anything other than pseudoephredine is useless, lol. Frustrating. You could split the dosge and use 30mg twice daily.
    The rebound from spray vasoconstrictors/decongestants is an issue...never more than once a day during extreme times. Otrivin seems the safest....

Secaris or neilMed nasogel can be purchased OTC.

Have you tried aloe vera topically in your nose?

I agree...surgery isnt something that seems anything but extreme at this point since cultures haven't been done yet.

Allergy testing should also be encouraged just because it can either be ruled out or can be realised as part of the problem.

q

Last edited by quincy; 09-07-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #15
    Puddinpie
    (female)

Puddinpie HB User

I am going to try the Secaris or nasogel to see if it helps some. It is worth a try.

I agree, I am going to try and get the nasal swab done. I have not tried aloe vera gel but that is a good idea as it is supposed to be soothing. Thanks for the suggestion. I use to take aloe vera juice for my digestive issues in the past ( Yuck, it tastes so nasty though!). It may help if I use some in my nose though.

I agree, if the allergist suggests allergy testing I will have it done just to rule it in or out. I just feel I would have responded to something already if it were histamine related. I think you can still be sensitive to something and have the same reactions but not actually allergic. That is even worse since anti-histamines will not work in that case.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-15-2016 at 07:08 AM.

Closed Thread