It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

Dust mites immunotherapy/shots - how long?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2017, 12:37 AM   #1
trfie
(male)

trfie HB User
Dust mites immunotherapy/shots - how long?

I have severe dust mite allergies and have been getting injections since December, but they have not had any effect at all. I was getting them once/week, with increasing dosage, and now they have switched to every 2 weeks, of which I have gotten 2. It seems to me that since it is the maximum dose I should feel some benefit by now, but unfortunately not.

How long did it take for you to get benefit from immunotherapy, if you did receive a benefit?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Dust mites immunotherapy/shots - how long?

Typically it takes up to a year to see marked improvement. I'm on the shots for the 4th time in my life and that's what it's typically been for me.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #3
trfie
(male)

trfie HB User

I thought that the immunotherapy was supposed to be permanent? What do you mean you are on the shots the 4th time?

What I don't understand is, since I've reached the maximum dose I am now getting the shots every 2 weeks. But as I haven't had any benefit, why don't they give it weekly until I start having a result, and then space it out to every 2 weeks? Or do they do it for simplicity, so they don't have to customize it for each patient?

Old 07-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfie View Post
I thought that the immunotherapy was supposed to be permanent? What do you mean you are on the shots the 4th time?

What I don't understand is, since I've reached the maximum dose I am now getting the shots every 2 weeks. But as I haven't had any benefit, why don't they give it weekly until I start having a result, and then space it out to every 2 weeks? Or do they do it for simplicity, so they don't have to customize it for each patient?

Not everyone gets permanent results and unfortunately I am one of them. I'm 71 so been dealing with allergies since childhood and the protocol has changed over the years. At one time I was doing twice a week at maintenance;another time it was every 4weeks at maintenance and now it's every 2 weeks. Protocols change over time. Most will tell you it takes a year to see any real change. That;s proven true with me all 4 times.

Last edited by Titchou; 07-09-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
trfie
(male)

trfie HB User

I'm sure I developed due to the horrendous allergies. I haven't noticed any change/improvement in my symptoms from the steroid nasal spray.

@Titchou, thanks for the info. I have a few more months to get to 1 year, so hopefully that is the reason why I have not gotten a benefit.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-10-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #6
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

It took me a year on shots before noticing any difference. My first go-round with allergy shots was for 5 years. My second started in my mid 30's and I was on them for 9.5 years. I was dealing with some pretty serious problems though which is unusual.

I can't speak directly on the dust mites in my treatment. My last go-round was for my 28 worst allergens.

Are you continuing with your other allergy treatments while on the shots? It should help with your symptoms since it takes a while for the shots to do their thing. I was on 4 daily allergy meds when I started my shots and continued them for quite a while, then gradually weaned from them one at a time.

I hope you start finding some relief soon.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
trfie
(male)

trfie HB User

My allergist increased the dose of my allergy shots, to go up gradually over the next 2-3 months. So will see if that makes a difference.

I am using fluticasone daily. The allergist said I can increase it to BID but the ENT said I shouldn't use it more than once a day. So not sure about that.

Was started on a daily inhaled steroid for asthma - that has kept my asthma symptoms under control, have not had to use the rescue inhaler since that was done, was using it 3-4x/week before.

But otherwise I am not on anything else for allergies - I tried everything I believe - zyrtec, xyzal, generic fexofenadine, loratadine, levocetrizine, cetirizine, guaifenesin. The xyzal made me really sleepy and did not do much for the allergies. The rest of them did not seem to work. One of them worked once, but when I tried it a few more times I got no relief.

I also started using a saline sinus rinse when I am really congested, which helps to get the mucus out.

Reply Reply

Tags
dust mites, immunotherapy, shots