It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board

• Severe allergic reaction ... Not sure what it's from ?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
    amandaa45

amandaa45 HB User
    Severe allergic reaction ... Not sure what it's from ?

Hello,

My son woke up with swelling of his face and hives and severe abdomen pain about 6 days. I took him to the ER and they said it may be a histamine allergy reaction. They gave him steroids and eppipen shot. The next day it seemed to clear up , but then it came back again and was worse and we went back to the ER.

When it came back, my son had hives in his mouth too and his face, eyes, lips, cheeks were all very very swollen. The pain in his abdomen felt like a gripping pain on a level 12.

This has never happened before and not sure what can cause this ? The ER said it may be histamine reaction but we are not sure what that means ?

If anyone has had this before can you please let me know hat may cause this and what does histamine allergy mean ? We heard a strange buzzing sound behind his bedroom wall , it almost sounded like bees and was on off for a few days. Then a few days later he had this reaction. Not sure if a bees nest behind a wall could cause this ?

Thanks so much I appreciate all your help !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Severe allergic reaction ... Not sure what it's from ?

They mean a food allergy or reaction most likely. Have you scheduled allergy testing? Please be sure to get the skin scratch test as it is most accurate.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    amandaa45 (05-29-2017)
    Old 05-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hello there. I'm so sorry for your son. It sounds like the bees got in...those little devils can get in through cracks that we can barely see.

Histamine allergies are what is released in the body when a foreign substance enters the body which the body is allergic to. You have heard of Benedryl? This is an example of an anti-histamine. We take it when we have allergies because it works against the histamines which are not supposed to be in our bodies. Anything from pollen to bee stings to reactions to shell fish can give off histamines...and a histamine allergy (or reaction as it is sometimes called) is the body's way of fighting it off. If there is too much histamine, the body can go into shock- and for some people it can be fatal. It is good that you took him to the ER when you did and it appears he is allergic to something for sure!

I would start with an exterminator and see if he can get rid of whatever is behind the walls...in the meantime, move your son to a place where there is less likely to be bees. Make sure he isnt inhaling anything which could cause this type of reaction; new paint, new cleansers, etc. Make sure he isnt using any new products on his body as well...You could take him to an allergist to determine exactly what he is allergic to....its not pleasant, but you do want to know. And talk to his GP about what to do if this happens again. He may prescribe something for you to give him at home. I carry an Epi Pen with me as I am allergic to bee stings and my throat closes up when they are severe enough.

Good luck and sorry this had to happen to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    amandaa45 (05-29-2017)
    Old 05-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
    jeff9265
    (male)

jeff9265 HB User

Is he currently taking any medications? (Before the reaction)

The Following User Says Thank You to jeff9265 For This Useful Post:
    amandaa45 (05-29-2017)
    Old 05-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
    amandaa45

amandaa45 HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies. They were very ,very helpful . Yes, my son did have a change of medication . He became injured last year and has been on mscontin and was changed to oxycodone extended release extended tablets about 12 days prior to his reaction .

He stopped taking it just because we thought it may be from that but the ER doctor said it was not. So the only other unusual event would be the possible bees in the wall.

He is scheduled for the allergist in a few days and thank you for letting me know to as k for the scratch skin test. Hope we can also get an epi pen too since that seemed to make him feel better .

I am just not sure if an allergy can stay for weeks at a time ?

Thanks so much again !

Old 05-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, allergic reactions can linger. I question the bees because you didn't indicate any puncture wounds from them....

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    amandaa45 (05-29-2017)
    Reply Reply